Hey there,
I'm planning on buying some new gear because I want something I can actually perform with...
Now.
My current gear is pretty sucky..

I got a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt.
And a Epiphone SG Cherry (don't want to change this yet)

Now.. The thing I want to buy.
I want a new pedal (thinking of the Boss ME-50 for basics, or the Blackstar.)
And I really want a new amp.

Can anyone give me some advice on what is good and what is not?

P.S. I thought it could be usefull if I showed what I play.

Bands Like: The Kooks, The Horrors, (our girl singer wants to play: Paramore.)
Uhm... Limp Bizkit, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Editors and so forth.

I guess you guys will tell me to buy some Overdrive, but I want to know what product

Thanks for the help already!

Greetings, Bart
are you in the UK?

that new blackstar ht5 might be worth looking into (i haven't tried it though). from what i hear, it's more or less one of the blackstar pedals, but converted into a tube amp. would be worth a try, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
We are most certainly NOT going to tell you to buy an OD, because that'd make your Spider sound even WORSE.
Get a tube amp. I agree with Dave, the HT-5 series has had rave reviews and apparently sounds much bigger than it is. I must try one for myself, they seem like a steal. That poor Tiny Terror is going to be thrown in the bargain bin.
If you want a new amp, stay with the line 6 spider 3 series of amps, but get the 75 watt combo, because it has many presets like enter sandman, crazy train, and many great songs. If you get this, then the only pedal you would most-likely need is a wah pedal.
Quote by 1201ZJ
If you want a new amp, stay with the line 6 spider 3 series of amps, but get the 75 watt combo, because it has many presets like enter sandman, crazy train, and many great songs. If you get this, then the only pedal you would most-likely need is a wah pedal.

DON'T do this. Most UGers despise the Spider series, and anything beyond the 30 watter is totally pointless. They can do Br00tAlz chugga-chugga metal rhythms and average cleans and that's it. The INSANE channel is just over the top. As a practise amp, though, they're alright, but still suck compared to Peavey Vypyrs and Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by Rock Pig
DON'T do this. Most UGers despise the Spider series, and anything beyond the 30 watter is totally pointless. They can do Br00tAlz chugga-chugga metal rhythms and average cleans and that's it. The INSANE channel is just over the top. As a practise amp, though, they're alright, but still suck compared to Peavey Vypyrs and Vox Valvetronix.

Why stick with solid state unless you dont have the cash to upgrade to tube? I have the spider III 75w and I really cant stand it anymore. The cleans arent average, theyre below. If all you do is want the drive at max, then go ahead and buy it. Get something you wont regret buying 6 months later when you actually hear good amps.
Quote by jarudy
Why stick with solid state unless you dont have the cash to upgrade to tube? I have the spider III 75w and I really cant stand it anymore. The cleans arent average, theyre below. If all you do is want the drive at max, then go ahead and buy it. Get something you wont regret buying 6 months later when you actually hear good amps.

But what if you can't afford a tube amp? And spiders sound good to me, But hey, everyone has an opinion
Quote by 1201ZJ
But hey, everyone has an opinion

I respect you immensely for that. You're not one of those opinionated people like me.
Anyone will say, tone is totally subjective.

But yeah, the GENERAL consensus is that Spiders aren't great.
Quote by 1201ZJ
But what if you can't afford a tube amp? And spiders sound good to me, But hey, everyone has an opinion

For the prices of the amps you suggested, you could easily get a 2nd hand tube amp or one of those Crate Amps they have on sale.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
For the prices of the amps you suggested, you could easily get a 2nd hand tube amp or one of those Crate Amps they have on sale.

I bought one of those crate amps from musician's friend, and they were "in stock" but Then they said it is not, and everyone else says the same
I'd say forget the ME-50, put most of your budget into the amp (Crate V is a good suggestion), and then maybe an overdrive or an effect or two.
Well what is your budget? Thats most important.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I had/have got both a Spider III and an ME-50 - and both are great and ****e at the same time. The spider is good if you want a modelling amp that makes some good sounds. But that's all you'll get. You can't mod em with stomps.

The ME-50 gets all the Boss sounds - but it just ain't the same. You need single stomp boxes so you can tweak the sounds more and fiddle with the order etc.

Anyway because of the way line6 models stuff the two don't work together - you can't put a bit of OD on the amp to warm up the sound for instance. So what you sound like you're after is a natural sounding amp and some stomps to go with.
Ah, To get back on Laidback's post.
I don't really mind the budget, I mean. I can save some cash.
It's just that I want some more proffesional gear to actually perform with.
Another Transistor Amp isn't in the picture anymore.
I need a simple amp without any fancy effects.
Just killer sound.
The effects I can get from the effect pedals.
Actually I'm just repeating what madnessJack said.. (=.=)
So I need the amp to be... somewhat more professional so I can perform with it.
And a good pedal.

P.S. Thanks for all the responses! Some of them are really usefull!
P.P.S No I'm not in the UK, I'm from Holland
Versatility seems to be what you are aiming for....hmmm...Peavey Classic might be a good bet. But seeing you're in Holland, I have no idea what your prices are over there man. Any clue how much you would be willing to spend, rough estimate, in euros or USD? That will help us out a ton. Because I have heard people say "budget isnt an issue", we recommend a $500 dollar amp and they are like WTFBBQSAUCEPWNT I'M NOT RICH!!!

So yea, rough estimate.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
500,- isn't that mutch if you want something good right?
Actually, that was exactly what I was aiming for!
Hmm.. A Peavey Classic...
I'll check it out!
Now, I'm thinking of buying the ME-50,..
Good thing?
Last edited by bartb07 at Nov 21, 2008,
€600 gets you a laney VC30
€500 gets you a peavey valveking
€488 gets you a line 6 Flextone III
€700 gets you a fender hotrod deluxe (bit of a wild card that one )
€577 gets you a vox AC15 (885 for the ac30)
€398 gets you an epiphone blues custom
€592 for a classic 30

lots of possible options for you there

all on www.thomann.de
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Thanks! I'm thinking of getting a head + belly amp.
Just because I like the looks of it..
So.. Maybe that will narrow the choices a bit.
Well I dont know if you can get a Classic new for 500 euros, but you might be able to find one used.

As for the ME-50, are you just looking to see what effects you like, or do you already know what you like, and just want a bunch of mediocre ones to mess around with? I would say go with individual pedals, but that is my personal preference.

Go try a ME-50 and see if you like it first tho.

**EDIT**
If by "head and belly" you mean a halfstack, dont bother, you can get a better value with a combo, and it wont be such a pain in the ass to lug around from place to place either.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well I'm keeping the Line 6 for practice with the band.
I just want the halfstack for performances and home.
Still disapprove of the idea?
Quote by bartb07
Well I'm keeping the Line 6 for practice with the band.
I just want the halfstack for performances and home.
Still disapprove of the idea?

yup =]

at €500 level, it 'costs' a lot just to have the amp in 2 bits

just cause its a halfstack doesnt mean its louder or better

a 30w tube combo will easily fulfill your needs and offer much better value than a stack
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
just cause its a halfstack doesnt mean its louder or better

a 30w tube combo will easily fulfill your needs and offer much better value than a stack

this
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals