Page 1 of 2
Anyone taken, or taking this?

I'm taking music tech and hopefully the music a-level.

I just want advice on something. I need to be able to read music for the music corse...I can't. If i started learning now, do you think it would give me enough time to take the corse next september or am I being naive and optimistic?

Would buying a cheap keyboard be a good idea?

and books anyone could recommend? Im in desperate need.

Thanks, Moom
you should start learning to read sheet music, and doing music A Level will help you with that, and learning as many instruments as possible is also a good idea

a few of my friends are doing music A Level and they absolutely love it.
Rockin' shit
yer im doing it at the moment. Just learn to read tenor and bass cleff, intervals and major/minor scales and youll be fine pretty much.
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Did you do music for GCSE? Because it will incredibly difficult if you didn't. Possible, but difficult.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
It's not hard to read music. Just keep at it and learn where each note goes on the staff and where middle C is and all that and you should be fine. Learn all the little symbols too, that'll help massively.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I'm taking music and music tech, and did music at GCSE and got an A.

I'm finding music tech absolute piss easy, but I've done lots of music tech work before.

Music though, I'm finding INCREDIBLY difficult, and I'm probably going to drop it.
hmm. My guitar tutor did it and he's just gone to uni. He said it was hard work.

If i didn't take music and only music tech, what would i be able to do at uni? what would i be sacrificing? I really want to do some sort of music corse at uni if i could.

Im also taking, English lit, maybe language and lit and also media studies if that helps.

Thanks everyone.
If your school/college is anywhere near descent, they should offer to teach you. Be careful of arrogant teachers that think you will know everything though.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id82_en.html

I'm assuming you know the notes on your fretboard. This is what I'm doing - I know my notes on the fretboard, so I'm learning to read separately, then I'm gonna practice putting them both together until I'm fluent.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by moominman2
hmm. My guitar tutor did it and he's just gone to uni. He said it was hard work.

If i didn't take music and only music tech, what would i be able to do at uni? what would i be sacrificing? I really want to do some sort of music corse at uni if i could.

Im also taking, English lit, maybe language and lit and also media studies if that helps.

Thanks everyone.

If you wanna know about uni courses, take a look at the UCAS website, find a course you like the look of and see what the requirements are.

I'm currently taking music tech, music, physics, and maths, and as I said I'm probably gonna drop music, (providing the courses I'm looking at don't need it).
ok. i asked my music teacher and she said, if there's a group of us that want to learn to read music, she'll gladly teach us. Ill look into that and things at home

So yeah. What could i do with my subjects in uni? haha. i haven't a clue what i wanna do at uni

EDIT: ahh ok. ill check the corses out. cheers moom
To learn music theory will take like a month. And then it's just practicing reading it and stuff all the time.

I do it at the moment, currently doing the A2. It think it's crap. And it's made me hate guitar, and music in general.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Meh, it's probably coz my school is crap, but I just find the course it really depressing and just not interesting.

Then again, the new course is different to mine so it might be a different story.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
You cannot do music a level without fluent knowledge of both treble clef and bass clef. Alto clef would help as well.

Depending on the exam board you do, you will have to do ALOT of harmony work and you need clef knowledge to do it.

Quote by nightraven
it's awesome. but the new edexcel curriculum for coursework is a ****ing pain. strict, controlled 15 hours to do your coursework. no way of cheating. it's hectic.

Isn't it a bitch?

Composing is my best bit, but I can't pull something off in 15 hours.
ah ok.

ahhh corsework. Corsework and I don't go well together haha. Meh, i'd give it a go :P

Wow. There are so many corses at uni. I didn't realise. Would music tech be a good option for uni? Im not atall sure what I would wanna do after i leave :|
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
You cannot do music a level without fluent knowledge of both treble clef and bass clef. Alto clef would help as well.

Depending on the exam board you do, you will have to do ALOT of harmony work and you need clef knowledge to do it.

Isn't it a bitch?

Composing is my best bit, but I can't pull something off in 15 hours.

You can do it, it's just hard. Half the people in my class can't fluently read music but they're doing alright.

I don't have to compose, I have to do a 20 minute recital, and a 3-6 minute performance.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
No.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
hahahahaha. That took alot of debating.

What careers are avaliable then if someone took music tech in uni? Im not looking for loads of money, just something i find fun and yeah ok LOADS OF MONEY haha. Nah, that won't happen.
Well you're looking at stuff involving music tech, so live sound, studio work, music for adverts, radio stuff, tv stuff etc.

Live sound and studio work especially are hard to get into and aren't great for making money, by which I mean, you won't make any anytime soon.

The others I'm not 100% sure on tbh as I've not looked into them.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I've took it this year, where i do my course taught us to read music at the start anyway. A keyboard will help you just to figure out a lot of stuff.
Quote by moominman2
Ahh ok cheers.

I just don't want waste 3 years at uni when I won't make use out of it. A waste of time and money :\

Yea, when I was asking around to do it the best thing I got told was "only do it if you're happy to live in a crap hole knowing that you'll get up everyday and be excited to go to work"

If that isn't you, I don't think it's worth it.

You can do year long diploma's in it that coz like 3-6 grand that can be just as good as a Uni course.

I'm doing Ancient History at uni, so I can get a job to fund one of the diploma courses.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
As much as I recommend learning to read music, I still can't read it and I've got my music A level exam in January. Admittedly the course is slightly harder than it would be, but I get by and I'm doing pretty well.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
hahaha, yeah I thought that might be the case. Hmm, how do people get rich? haha
ah thats pretty cool. Is ancient history any good?

EDIT: Ah nice one. I might just go for the corse and learn to read now. Good luck with your exam!
I'm kinda in a bad position, in that the only thing I'm gonna be good at is music tech, so I'm gonna have to make a plan to get a career out of it. My dad's cousin is a composer who knows producers, so I'm gonna talk to him, see what he reccomends.
Dunno, I haven't started yet, it's just my plan for after this year.

People get rich by being naturally good, by being able to do something special with little efort, but more importantly by knowing the right people. It's all about connections.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by filthandfury
I'm kinda in a bad position, in that the only thing I'm gonna be good at is music tech, so I'm gonna have to make a plan to get a career out of it. My dad's cousin is a composer who knows producers, so I'm gonna talk to him, see what he reccomends.

Ah lucky you have someone like that. Could you post what he recomends for people who want to do music tech as a career on here? Don't worry if not.

EDIT: hmm, your right. Im not sure I should be going into music tech then =\ I want to make a good living but at the same time, enjoy what I do.
By all means do it, just don't expect to make a worth while job out of it. You could always part time it, or do it as a hobby at home or something. I dunno, I've put it on hold because I want options. But everyone's different.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
hmm yeah. I would LOVE it as a career but wouldn't make the money i'd want. It might be good just to have it as a hobby and study something that opens up more options for a decent living. Im not sure what else though.

I quite like English. Would that be worth studying at uni?
In short yes. But I can't really say what's good or not for you. The thing with Uni is do something you really really like, as you'll be doing it very indepth for 3 years. If you don't like it, by the 3rd year you'll hate uni.

I wish you luck though, it's not easy choosing.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by moominman2
hmm yeah. I would LOVE it as a career but wouldn't make the money i'd want. It might be good just to have it as a hobby and study something that opens up more options for a decent living. Im not sure what else though.

I quite like English. Would that be worth studying at uni?

'quite like' isn't really enough of a basis to start a uni course on, IMO.

If you only express a mild preference for your subject in your personal statement, the admission tutors will just laugh. You need to show a true passion for the subject you're going to spend 3 years studying and the rest of your life paying for.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
'quite like' isn't really enough of a basis to start a uni course on, IMO.

If you only express a mild preference for your subject in your personal statement, the admission tutors will just laugh. You need to show a true passion for the subject you're going to spend 3 years studying and the rest of your life paying for.

Ok, I LOVE ENGLISH!
I'm doing AS at the moment and I'm loving it but reading music is essential (treble and bass). You should also be doing theory to roughly a grade 5 standard or else you'll be completely lost in the harmony and counterpoint side of things. That said, you're theory knowledge will improve while you're doing it, so just practice. I would reccomend getting the ABRSM theory workbooks and just going through them and you'll just learn step by step. It would be better to do music than music tech though because its more respected.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Page 1 of 2