It was my dads amp for a few months then he gave it to me to try to sell to get some $$ together so i can get my XXX.

So as soon as i took it home (few months ago) i turn it on and it gives a loud crackling and popping sound.

FOR THE RECORD, IT'S SS W/ a digital effect unit built in. It's not tube.

So this loud popping and crackling noise happens when ever i first turn it on and have the effects on. The only effects i use are reverb and delay (and i use these effects religiously), and no matter what i do, i still get the noise. Even if the effect level is on 1 or 2. But if i turn every effect off, the noise goes away. or i have to keep turnin it on and off multiple time and wait for the noise to stop.

So im assuming its a problem in the preamp's effect unit, and it's not the fuse. I changed it a few times and it does nothing. What can i do with it? could i just pop it open and take a look at the circuit board or... what? could i just mod it somehow?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I feel your pain, man.

1. You live in the DC area.
2. You're playin through a Crate GFX combo.
3. It broke, so now it sucks even more than normal.

I had all those things in my life a while back.

Take it to a shop and let them deal with it. I hate Crate - their SS is a pain in the ass and always problematic. That's why I bought the Peavey XXX (and you'll love it - it's my amp of choice at this point) and run my fx through the loop.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
yes and yes..... or so I'd think. See if you can find the schematic online.... those usually help a lot..... is it for all of the effects? cause then I think you've isolated your problem pretty good. You know it's either on the input or the output of your effects section of the board. Worst case is you get the schematic and replace all the resistors and transistors in that area.

DUDE YOU LIVE RIGHT AROUND ME! I GO TO DULANEY! (or did, at college now). wtf!
Quote by strat0blaster
I feel your pain, man.

1. You live in the DC area.
2. You're playin through a Crate GFX combo.
3. It broke, so now it sucks even more than normal.

I had all those things in my life a while back.

Take it to a shop and let them deal with it. I hate Crate - their SS is a pain in the ass and always problematic. That's why I bought the Peavey XXX (and you'll love it - it's my amp of choice at this point) and run my fx through the loop.

1. I'm in the sh!tty Baltimore area
2. It's a GTD65
3. yes

and yeah, i love XXX's

Quote by ESP_Shreder
yes and yes..... or so I'd think. See if you can find the schematic online.... those usually help a lot..... is it for all of the effects? cause then I think you've isolated your problem pretty good. You know it's either on the input or the output of your effects section of the board. Worst case is you get the schematic and replace all the resistors and transistors in that area.

DUDE YOU LIVE RIGHT AROUND ME! I GO TO DULANEY! (or did, at college now). wtf!

yeah it's just in the effects unit which is pissin me off cause in order to use reverb like i always NEED (i love reverb), i have to turn the amp on and off and on and off like 10 times. If the effects are off, no noise.

Also, i forgot to add, once an a while, insted of a crackiling and popping noise, ill get an insanely loud whistle that sounds like a plane crashing into a massive computer with a virus... -_-

it is bad. So what could possibly be the problem?

and yea you do live sorta close.

edit: interestingly enough, i can't seem to find ANY information on the GTD65 model

edit2: i got a .pdf of the owners manual

http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/GTD65_OM.pdf
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by bjovi400

Also, i forgot to add, once an a while, insted of a crackiling and popping noise, ill get an insanely loud whistle that sounds like a plane crashing into a massive computer with a virus... -_-

This happened to my old GFX, and it was the input jack on the front end of the amp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
nah, it can't be that. It has to be in the effect unit, i think it's fried, and it's only getting worse. once i pick up my XXX this weekend, ill either crack it open and check it out, or build a 1x12 cab outta it.

anyone else have any idea what the problem is?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

??
Ibanez AEL 12-string

You should definately check the Crate out. Look where the effects' knobs/pots are connected. Check for leaking or bulging capacitors around that area. (well, you should check for them all over... but for this particular problem check the efx area.) If you can, unmount the PCB from the amp and look for cracked solder joints on the flipside. Any darkened or burnt spot on the PCB can be a sign of the problem.

EDIT: And of course, capacitors can be replaced if you know how to solder and how to pick the right replacement caps.
Last edited by NukaCola at Nov 21, 2008,