I've been playing guitar for quite a while now and Im currently doing a grade 4 by the board RGT. I've realised that i've been doing my vibrato wrong. Instead of using my wrist i've been using my fingers and when I try to use my wrist I find it barely possible to do and if I do suceed its really really slow.

I think I know how to do vibrato but how long should it take before I can do it properly?

Are there anyways to practise vibrato? How?

Cheers

x
Sometimes I will play notes to see is tight or loose I can get my vibrato. I've seen pros use their fingers before, sometimes it's just a preference thing.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Try playing in Half a step down.... I find it easier to get vibrato and bends that way.
The vibrato sounds nice on the A Minor scale.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
I like using my whole arm to shake out a vibrato. It takes practice, but keep a guitar in your lap when you're watching tv or something. When you play notes, keep practicing your vibrato technique and really dig in with your whole arm. After a few weeks of daily practice it will feel natural.
To be honest there is no right or wrong way to vibrato as long as you're getting the desired sound - I don't really use my wrist as much as I should but I still get a sound I'm happy with. Some people use a classical side-side technique, some use an up down motion, some have a kind of circular thing going on but most people end up doing somthing that has little bits of them all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest there is no right or wrong way to vibrato as long as you're getting the desired sound - I don't really use my wrist as much as I should but I still get a sound I'm happy with. Some people use a classical side-side technique, some use an up down motion, some have a kind of circular thing going on but most people end up doing somthing that has little bits of them all.

+1. Do whatever sounds and feels the most "emoted" to you. I started with the "slide" style vibrato and then moved to a more finger controlled way. I'll work on wrist vibrato but I'd use it only where I feel its appropriate (john mayer's stuff uses it alot from what I can tell).
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah