Page 1 of 2
I need some videos, like of youtube, that is just a revolution for bassists, and it needs to be freaking awesome. Like that bass solo from Les Claypool that was just the sex. Can someone give me some links to some revolutionary bass jamming/playing that has just inspired you to play bass.
im gonna take heat for this, but mark hoppus. hes pretty horrible, i know, but dude ranch saved me from terrible pop music.
Quote by chumpzilla
im gonna take heat for this, but mark hoppus. hes pretty horrible, i know, but dude ranch saved me from terrible pop music.

then ill take the heat with you...he may be a bad bassist but he always just looks like he has so much fun so i took up bass too and learned a bunch of blink til i figured out it was all easy so i learned tough stuff...but still, he showed you dont gotta be good to have fun with it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
exactly! hahah and its not like i didnt get better after the blink stuff, its just so much more fun to play that stuff that takes everything youve got in you just to make it through the song.
Geezer Butler will always be my bass hero. But if you want revolutionary, look up Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten, it doesn't get much more advanced than that.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by chumpzilla

hoppus is how i got really into bass

tho what inspired me to take up bass in the first place was when we had a supply teacher in music and he played bass and he recomended i try his bass because he thought it might suit me better then elec guitar.

25 months later, never put my bass down.

tho i have now an obsession with the squier VM jazz basses (fretted and fretless)
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by chumpzilla

Haha, no way man! I love Mark too! His playing was what first got me into bass, and I will always respect him as a musician.

And to TS if you want some awesome bass, then give this a listen. The first time I heard it I peed a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bimNMiz250
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22W38jJk81s

Nothing too special but the fill he puts in the intro always inspired me and he's so in to the music.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
This is going to sound really, really weird but here goes. My homeroom teacher in 8th grade (who was actually really, really cool) overheard me saying that I was thinking about learning bass, and later he said I should check out primus (he's a big primus fan, apparently) and lent me Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda, and Tales from the Punch Bowl. I've been hooked on them ever since. Also, my dad lent me Standing in the Shadows of Motown (he only gave me the disk, he still can't find the book), and that made me a Jamerson fan. Other bassists I've always found inspiring:
Cliff Burton
Jaco
Steve Harris
Geddy Lee
Jack Bruce
John Entwistle
Phil Lynott
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Hendrix got me into guitar but Flea got me into bass.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by ccam555
<------ That man.

who's he?

NVM, i think i got it
geddy??

Quote by ccam555
mhmm.

my eyes are crap, i cant see it properly

Flea and Claypool probably

It all goes back to when I was dicking around up north, about 8-9 months after starting guitar
and I decided "Hey, I should try slapping!"

and it was all downhill from there.
I don't even shred
not sure of a specific bassist as such, but main;y the icopnic modern basslines eg. hysteria -muse
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
- les claypool
- mike watt
- fretless bass in general (hope to get one of those next)
- CAKE's bass lines
- the fact my friend's band needed a bass player and i was bored
#DTWD
I know ghe's not jaw dropping as a player, but duff was one for me. That bit at the start of rocket queen, with the chorus... beastin'
I started playing bass because I thought my cello made me look like a sissy. A few years later my parents picked me up a bass guitar for some reason. Guess they were tired of driving my upright around.

Revolutionary is all well and good, but I'm currently spending my time learning how to solidly fit in, not outshine anyone else in an ensemble.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Dance Dance - Fall out Boy.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by TheWickerMan666
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bXImi2etl7I

He plays bass like a motherbitch.

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) got me into playing bass though.

That was amazing. So talented.

Originally Posted by Draekon

A song im very good at is Raining Blood!
"RAINING BLOOD! from a lacerated sky! Bleed is Horror! I bleed destruction, and now i shall REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is that what he says?
Last edited by Martin259 at Nov 21, 2008,
John Myung is the best technical metal bassist I know, save from the dude off Meshuggah, and he's not done any videos.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
John Myung is the best technical metal bassist I know, save from the dude off Meshuggah, and he's not done any videos.

Yep. His work with dream Theater is good. Like you said, he is a great "technical" bassist.

Originally Posted by Draekon

A song im very good at is Raining Blood!
"RAINING BLOOD! from a lacerated sky! Bleed is Horror! I bleed destruction, and now i shall REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is that what he says?
I never have, and never will understand Les Claypool. However, I will say that the band that inspired me to play bass was my own.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psygjciJG1A
Tina Weymouth

[edit] Tina also inspired me to, like her, marry the drummer. Great way to build a rhythm section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6YOhfHwpLQ
Suzi Quattro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRT8nA665Gs
Bruce Thomas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHXutgxpjgU&
Duck Dunn

Quote by thefitz
I never have, and never will understand Les Claypool.

lol...people same the same thing about Beefheart btw. I'd avoid listening to Fred Firth and the Residents then Fitz. Still love ya, big guy.
I got into bass out of neccessity. I had a cheap little Ibanez beginner to play on my recordings. I was a guitar player mainly. But I was asked to join a band to play bass, cuz there weren't any others around, and I agreed.

Eventually, I grew into the instrument. I love the control over the flow and feeling you have with it. Nothing shapes a song like the rhythm section. Now I love it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
stefan lessard of Dave matthews band. i dont think he gets the props he should. his basslines are always very interesting
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How I got into really playing bass is probably owed to a Mr Ryan Martinie. That man has chops, and knows exactly how to use them in a band setting, which I think is a lot more impressive than most solo stuff.

LD 50 was my opening to bass playing. At first it was the sheer tone of his Warwicks. But the more I got into playing music, I realised his playing dictated the feel of the songs. My favourite song he's ever done was World So Cold, it's a very simple bass line (by his standards) but it sets the feel and pulse of the song nicely.

I remember being 12 years old and plugging in a Warwick Thumb into an Ampeg SVT, for the simple reason, Ryan had that set up at the time. Alas, I sounded nothing like him and some kids laughed at me
Page 1 of 2