Well, i've just become the guitarist in another band (i'm in demand atm). However as a band I/They don't know what to play.

The band setup is this:

Crazy Crazy Drummer (very experienced)

Bassist (very competent) + Grade 8 Piano

Singer, very talented musician, metzo-suprano and sings anything very well to be honest.

Me, competent guitarist, classic rock/blues/Hardish Rock anything with that quintessential pure overdriven tone.

Does anybody have any suggestions to "Bond" / Get the band going?

X

(I sincerely apologise if this is the wrong section for this advice)
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
well, i had a similar set up and we started doing cheesey pop covers and blink songs to break the ice, and then we just wrote our own stuff. just get together, go thru ipods, and find common interests.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867263

Read the stickies on this forum.

*reported*

DO NOT RESPOND

Madsalty and ChucklesMginty posted while I went back and edited my post to report the thread. You two are fine.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by chumpzilla
well, i had a similar set up and we started doing cheesey pop covers and blink songs to break the ice, and then we just wrote our own stuff. just get together, go thru ipods, and find common interests.

Very good idea, infact that's what we've been doing for the last two weeks. But no-body can find that song we all want to learn. We've been going about a month and believe it or not we've gigged to about 200 already doing coversongs for an 18th birthday party, but we just took requests and no-body really bonded. We are all good musicians so we just learnt our bits, ran through once and played.

(I got a bit carried away during one song and tripled the solo length until the drummer through a drum stick at the back of my head

Quote by bangoodcharlote

Well i looked at that, and didn't think it really applied. It seems to be more for the individual wanting to progress their own skills and technique. My situation is a bit different and i thought i needed some tweaking.

I Quote:
MT's only "suggest me a song/what should I play" thread

After seeing alot of threads asking for the same thing, I have started this thread. Dont know which song to learn next? Need a song that is in a particular key, in a particular time signature uses a particular modal progression, is in a specific genre? Ask for them here.
To post we need to know:

* Your skill level, as in how long you've been playing.
* The criteria of the song. (For example, what genre? what modal progression? what time signature? so on)
* Other genres/songs you usually play.

And as for some general rules:
1. Dont suggest indie songs no-one has ever heard of
2. Dont suggest songs that are too hard to find. Keep in mind most people are going to want tabs.
3. Dont suggest songs you wrote yourself
4. Dont flame, only constructive posts are welcome
5. Please dont spam
6. Suggest a song that is adequate to the persons skill level. Dont suggest pagini's 25 caprices to a person just starting to shred
7. It would be nice if you explained how/why the song you suggested uses what the asker has asked for
8. Dont chew the noobs

I'll edit more rules in as we go along.

I'll start of I'd like a song that uses a modal phrygian progression. I've been playing for 3 years, and I know an adequate amount of theory. I mostly play jazz and metal

^^ As you can see the Singular person is clearly stated, if this is only implied and this thread is extended to the Plural band situation as you can see it reads "I'll edit rules as we go along" so instead of reporting me read it properly and do something constructive like suggest a rule change to make a situation like this clearer.

I've a feeling i'm going to get burnt in a minute because i'll have not read some information relevant to this in another sticky.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Madsalty
Very good idea, infact that's what we've been doing for the last two weeks. But no-body can find that song we all want to learn. We've been going about a month and believe it or not we've gigged to about 200 already doing coversongs for an 18th birthday party, but we just took requests and no-body really bonded. We are all good musicians so we just learnt our bits, ran through once and played.

(I got a bit carried away during one song and tripled the solo length until the drummer through a drum stick at the back of my head )

LOL!!! Next time he does that, turn your guitar up louder, that'll really piss him off
you have to find common interests other than music, then the music just comes. It took me a month or so to get used to my first band. After we all warmed up to each other our musical side started to come out. We started playing some queen, genesis, the beatles, then after about two months we arranged two originals. I'm not playing with them anymore but it was great fun.

Listen to my covers here.

"Some even claim that I'm a terror, a dictator and they're right." - Lou Reed

AK-ROWDY
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you're all virtuosos play Dream Theater.

I tried some Petrucci once. It hurt. I failed.

But without the Solo's it's possible!

Quote by musicjunkie207
you have to find common interests other than music, then the music just comes. It took me a month or so to get used to my first band. After we all warmed up to each other our musical side started to come out. We started playing some queen, genesis, the beatles, then after about two months we arranged two originals. I'm not playing with them anymore but it was great fun.

I think you're right, time and practise is necessary.

EDIT: After now reading through "bangoodcharlote" previous posts it would appear that this isn't the first thread reported for starting a thread requesting songs that regard more than one musician. In that case the thread was subsequently closed.

In this case can i please ask even if the thread is closed; can make it clear in the stickies that song requests for a multiple musicians and band situations can be made. I did read the sticky and for reasons stated in a previous post i assumed that the use of the singular meant singular musician. For my assumption i am sorry. I shall make no further posts in this thread unless otherwise instructed.

I'm not trying to be facetious or argumentative it's just i feel i've been dealt an injustice because i did read the sticky. Nevertheless i've had that old derogatory statement used to belittle people on these forums "Read the Stickies"..."*Reported*"

Anyway...

Kind Regards,
Mad

EDIT 2: (Sorry for the ranting but i'm having a bad day) It appears i missed the whole "Band Leading" Subsection of this forum. I still stand by what i said about the sticky however instead of this thread being closed can it be moved to the bandleading section if that is more appropriate (i did apologise for this threads misplacement when i wrote it)

EDIT 3: I should stop talking but ultimately it rattles me when i get reported.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Nov 20, 2008,