Hey there everyone. Let me get some history out so you get to know me a little better. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years and have an Ibanez AR300 and currently own an Marshall MG100 DFX. At this point in time, my music taste has changed and I decided to start looking into other amps besides Marshall. I'm kind of looking for a good reliable company that would be perfect for playing more alternative/indie type music. Some following bands such as Franz Ferninand, Death Cab for Cutie, The Subways, Audioslave and The Killers. Any ideas or tips on what I should be looking at? I've been thinking VOX and Line 6. But like I said, still confused between witch would be best cause as truespin once said on a post, "A bunch of pissed off bees in a plastic bag.", explains what I'm hearing on this MG after playing it for just about a year.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated
Try ibanez amps... Well priced, amazing sound. I prefer the tone blaster over a marshall any day!
hey man, i've got a marshall MG too... sadly.. and it definately is pissed off bees in a bag...

don't go away from marshall just because of that tho... the MG series is just horrible because it's crappy solid state... their tube amps are great..

yesterday i tried out a used marshall artist 3203 head and jcm 2000 head and they sounded amazing.. they were each around 600 bucks...

i think i'm gonna get an orange tiny terror however... i love their tone and all..

all i can say is DON"T GO LINE 6... i had one and it was worse than my MG.. i UPGRADED from a line 6 to an MG.. that says a ton!

things you want to consider are stack vs combo, tube vs Solid State, wattage/where you play, and tone/gain sounds...
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by S.Y.N.
take a look at Orange. They do amps for a lot of indie bands

I'd personally LOVE to get an Orange. Only problem is that I live in Canada and the closest place that sells Orange amps is in Quebec City. That's a 9 hour drive from where I live, and I don't even drive yet. :P

Try ibanez amps... Well priced, amazing sound. I prefer the tone blaster over a marshall any day!

I'm not to big on their amps. Just because there isn't much to choose from, and would gather go with a company that is devoted to creating amps.

hey man, i've got a marshall MG too... sadly.. and it definately is pissed off bees in a bag... don't go away from marshall just because of that tho... the MG series is just horrible because it's crappy solid state... their tube amps are great.. yesterday i tried out a used marshall artist 3203 head and jcm 2000 head and they sounded amazing.. they were each around 600 bucks... i think i'm gonna get an orange tiny terror however... i love their tone and all.. all i can say is DON"T GO LINE 6... i had one and it was worse than my MG.. i UPGRADED from a line 6 to an MG.. that says a ton! things you want to consider are stack vs combo, tube vs Solid State, wattage/where you play, and tone/gain sounds...

Ah I see. Well, I find that the Marshall's are WAY to hardcore for me. I don't even listen to metal anymore without getting a headache. I plan on going with a combo mostly because I don't have that kind of money since I'm still a teenager. And my budget is no more then 600$. I contacted the store I bought my amp from and they DO have trade in's and return policies, so I'm thinking of returning and getting something in the general price range. Here's what I'm looking for at least on my amp:

Combo
Sold or Tube is fine
100W minimum
Mostly for small gigs. Trying to get a band together so nothing big just yet.
As for Tone and Gain, as I said in my original post, something alternative and indie.

Thanks a lot for the help so far guys
Last edited by Justiin25 at Nov 20, 2008,
It all depends. If you want to spend more money buy the Vox.

of course i cheaper solution find a really good clean tone (Fender FM212) and go with a modeling pedal such as line-6 or boss gt-10. I know that a lot of people look down on modeling pedals but in the end if you are playing live shows 95% of the people listening to you couldnt even tell the difference between a Tubescreamer and a boss DS-1, let alone the differnce between a tube amp and the modeled versionl.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
I would say try and check out a Peavey Delta Blues. It is supposidly modeled after the Vox AC30. Obviously it is not going to be spot on, but it'll be damn close. It should be good for those indie tones, and throw an overdrive on it and you got yourself some decent rock tones.

If you can, try and find a used Mesa F-30. That would be great too. Ummmmm...

Maybe even a Fender Blues Jr or a Hot Rod and grab an OD or Fuzz to go along with that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah, I say go with Fender. You can get the best cleans out of them, and if you need any dirt, it's better to get with an overdrive or distortion.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
100w solid state is fine, but I assume you mean a valve amp and 100w is way too loud, it's enough to blow out windows.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
an orange tiny terror or an thunderverb
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by gregs1020
Why do you want 100 watts if you just playing small gigs?
What is your budget?

As said on post #6, 600$ max. And I'd like 100W because I want something that'll last me more then a small gig JUST in case I do end up performing somewhere bigger. Better safe then sorry.
Quote by Justiin25
As said on post #6, 600$ max. And I'd like 100W because I want something that'll last me more then a small gig JUST in case I do end up performing somewhere bigger. Better safe then sorry.

I don't know of any tube amps at 100 watts for 600 or less. You'd be incredibly lucky to find a used one for less than 1000. One option that's not quite there would be a Fender Twin Reverb. You could MAYBE find a used one for under 1000 if you're lucky, and the difference between 100 and 85 watts is nearly negligible.

And on the subject of how many watts you need, are you thinking of playing something like a football stadium anytime soon? Unless you want enough headroom to play clean while still destroying your house, even 50 watts of tube power is a lot. I tried out a 50-watt tube amp in a store and turned the clean channel's level up to about 10:30; every single guitar in the store started resonating from how loud I was playing. Keep that in mind when you go shopping.
Quote by mikewaz
I don't know of any tube amps at 100 watts for 600 or less. You'd be incredibly lucky to find a used one for less than 1000. One option that's not quite there would be a Fender Twin Reverb. You could MAYBE find a used one for under 1000 if you're lucky, and the difference between 100 and 85 watts is nearly negligible.

And on the subject of how many watts you need, are you thinking of playing something like a football stadium anytime soon? Unless you want enough headroom to play clean while still destroying your house, even 50 watts of tube power is a lot. I tried out a 50-watt tube amp in a store and turned the clean channel's level up to about 10:30; every single guitar in the store started resonating from how loud I was playing. Keep that in mind when you go shopping.

Aha thanks man, I'll keep that in mind

Btw I was also thinking, would a stomp box make a difference when changing the distortion on my MG 100 right now? I was looking at some stuff from Boss, and the multi-effects seem pretty good.
Yep - there is very little discernible difference in volume between 50 and 100W. No one ever really needs 100W (see slats' sig - he's right y'know!)

I've said this I don't know how many times now and I shall say it again - don't let the bandwaggoners / noobs put you off ALL of Line6's kit just because of the Spider. Anyone who says that without justifying probably has never played anything other than the spider. Check out the flextones- they are good amps nice cleans and a number of models to play with / define your sound. In fact I have said in other threads I would kill for a Vetta II - Line6 flagship amp but bloody expensive!!!

You might want to also check out some Traynor amps (YC50) as well as the other usual suspects that get mentioned around here
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Yep - there is very little discernible difference in volume between 50 and 100W. No one ever really needs 100W (see slats' sig - he's right y'know!)

I've said this I don't know how many times now and I shall say it again - don't let the bandwaggoners / noobs put you off ALL of Line6's kit just because of the Spider. Anyone who says that without justifying probably has never played anything other than the spider. Check out the flextones- they are good amps nice cleans and a number of models to play with / define your sound. In fact I have said in other threads I would kill for a Vetta II - Line6 flagship amp but bloody expensive!!!

You might want to also check out some Traynor amps (YC50) as well as the other usual suspects that get mentioned around here

Thanks very much! I found some interest in the Traynor amps.
Quote by UnicronAlliance

yea, I was going to quote him too. btw, where has he been. i havent seen him around in a while.

and so this I am not a troll, Traynors should be great for you, check out the 40 watter......i think its the YCVS40 or something...i forget. i am sleep deprived
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Justiin25

Traynor YCV50 Blue or Classic 30. If you perform anywhere "big" the house would likely have a PA and you would mic the amp. Used both amps sell for between $300 and $450. Be smart, buy used (craigslist or ebay) and save yourself some money. Good luck.