hey everyone, im thinking about building a guitar. i have a lot of aged oak in my garage that ive been thinking about using. i was just wondering how this would work. ive never heard of an oak guitar. does anyone know if the sound would be good on it? any flaws? this is for an electric guitar

thanks
correct me if im wrong but isnt the squier CV tele made of oak?

EDIT: NVM, just checked, its pine
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I have heard of oak guitars, although rarely. I was actually thinking of doing the exact same thing sometime soon; my gradfather has 100+ year old planks of white oak and American Chestnut ( which is now extinct ) in his barn and I'm gunna go on a barn-plundering trip soon. Good luck!
id say its dried out, my dad has had it for a good 20 years. he was going to use some of it to make a gun stock but never got around to it. i dont mind the weight. im just not sure if there is a major flaw in using oak because you dont hear of too many guitar made of oak.
Aren't Brian May's guitars made of oak? I'm pretty sure the original one was, anyways. Like the guys before me said, it is going to be pretty heavy, but you shouldn't have any problems using it to build a guitar.
Some people will say it is a boring wood tonewise, but I am of the opinion construction makes way more difference than the wood. Yes, Brian May's original Red Special was made of oak. And, like those above me have said it will be heavy.
Oak isnt a very stable wood. You're going to need to make the neck at least two pieces, preferably more.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Oak also splinters pretty easily, from what I remember. So be careful for that. :P
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups
Hmm, yes you can use it, theres been a lot of "exotic" wood builds latley, mainly walnut, oak, pine etc. Its different, and i like diferent
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i've used it before, can't say what it sounds like but its kind of a pain, it splinters and it's heavy, the grain is pretty pronounced so chisel very carefully
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Oak isn't too stable of a neck wood, it's basically ash as said before. Is ash a good neck wood? No. I'd go for maple or something.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oak/ash have incredible bending strength, which is great. they are actually the strongest woods by weight for bending strength, but they bend like crazy under pressure, but they will never break. they ARE the same wood, appearance, weight, grain structure, everything.
wait then why are they different?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So, does the same species of tree go by two different names?

Because I might have some oak end tables... that my parents would need to get over loosing....

Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i was actually thinking about just buying an old ibanez jem neck, or i even found a website that sells quality necks. this is my first build and i want it to turn out good. so the oak will just be for the body, which i guess wouldnt harm anything.
they are different trees, but the lumber is so closely related its not even funny. its just a guitar "tone wood" sales gimmick i guess. kind of like NATO and mahogany, same ****ing tree, just grows in two different places. yet one of them has a different tone to it? weird.
Isn't most ash as used in guitar bodies really light? I thought that the swamp ash that Warmoth is always pushing was supposed to be a really light alternative for Strat bodies and such. So, do they just call heavier ash/oak samples oak, and lighter ones ash? Or am I just mistaken on how light ash is supposed to be?
Yeah your gunna build a boat of a guitar. It would probly have good sound but ouch that would just kill you after a while of standing while playing. Wait brain storm make it super thin like an SG.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Aren't Brian May's guitars made of oak? I'm pretty sure the original one was, anyways. Like the guys before me said, it is going to be pretty heavy, but you shouldn't have any problems using it to build a guitar.

part of it is. oaks not too bad - it is quite heavy and seems to splinter lots when cutting - but its not bad