The computer we recently set up in our studio is having some issues. It had to lay dormant for about 5 months because we didnt have RAM for it, but we plugged it in and it booted. So we got it set up and it started having a strange problem where when you turn it on, everything powers up but it doesn't boot. No POST, no nothing. Hitting the reset button on the front of the tower somehow allowed it to boot.

Fast foreward; last night, I came home and went upstairs to the studio space, and the computer was off. Power management was disabled, no circuits were blown, and no surges happened because all of the other equipment (all on the same circuit breaker) was on. None of the other guys had even been home that day, so nobody did anything with it. Now it's back to powering on, but not booting or going into POST. No beep codes, just the whirring of the CPU/PSU fans and the HD platters spinning.

I'm thinking processor problem, but I have NFI what could have caused that. The system is barely 3 years old, AMD Athlon64 2ghz proc, 512 PC3200 DDR Ram (new). Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
screen light stayin orange?
also... brand/model of PSU and wattage
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Faulty RAM? You plugged it in by yourself?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
The light on the front of the tower comes on solid green like it should. PSU is 500w, don't remember the brand but it was a fairly recent purchase (within 1 year), spent around $60 on it. The monitor has a 'power save' mode where it stays in standby untill it recieves a signal, which it hasen't been. Video card is verified working in another PC.

How would I check the proc for heat? Just take off the fan and touch the heatsink?

-Edit-
Yeah, I plugged the RAM in myself, but yesterday it was working fine. Also, no beep codes. With bad RAM or no ram the mobo gives off 4 steady beeps from the PC speaker.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
$60..well thats £30... i paid £80..$160 and that is cheap...

its a 650w..

what graphics you running?? AGP?
dont ever start it without a heatsink or fan....most stupid idea ever.

orange light..
thats the power supply not giving enough juice to load the whole hardware list..
OR
its a frazzled mobo
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
sometimes the mobo won't detect the RAM as bad if it's only a sector of the RAM. POST won't detect a bad stick of RAM half the time. Try using one stick of RAM and see if that works.
Quote by fairycake92
$60..well thats £30... i paid £80..$160 and that is cheap...

its a 650w..

what graphics you running?? AGP?
dont ever start it without a heatsink or fan....most stupid idea ever.

orange light..
thats the power supply not giving enough juice to load the whole hardware list..
OR
its a frazzled mobo

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting taking off the fan while the comp was running :P:

PCIe graphics, yeah it's a cheapo PSU but it's fairly new and everything is powering up just fine. I'm not getting an orange light, just the standard green..

As far as the RAM, I've only got the one stick for now. It's seated properly, I made sure I was grounded while handling/installing, and it's not even a week old.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
3 years old and dormant for months: have you checked the bios battery on the motherboard? Also you may have to reset the bios if the memory is different to what was in it before: there's usually a jumper on the mo'board for this. Check the motherboard manual*.

IF the above doesn't work;-

Other problems could be memory in wrong slots or incorrectly seated, or for that matter any other connector in the box could be not quite seated correctly (it's easy to dislodge something when changing memory).

While carrying out the following be sure that there's no chance of static discharge between yourself and the computer internals. And ensure the mains power is disconnected.

I'd suggest removing the memory, checking the memory slots are clean and free from dust, remake all connections i.e.
replace bios battery.
pci boards - remove and replace
pull apart all connectors and reconnect (one by one)
ensure you have the correct memory for the motherboard.
replace memory in correct slots - ensure the 'locks' at each end of the memory snap into place.

If none of the above work get the power supply checked out by a competent pc or electronic engineer.

* check motherboard manual if you have one, or look online for one from the manufacturer

Sorry about the length of the post, but there's always a long list of possibilities with these things.

Good luck.

P.S. You say you're only using one stick of RAM? Does the motherboard require dual channel memory? It may need two matched (make and capacity) memory sticks to work. If you post back with the motherboard details (make and model) I'll check it out for you.
Last edited by g01d3n at Nov 20, 2008,