Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about a year now.
I was wondering, what should I be able to do and know at this point. I know it depends on the pace Im going, but just a general idea. Im able to play a handful of songs and a good amount of random riffs.

Any ideas?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
It's all based on your talent, time you put in, and even how you learn. It isn't really fair to say that "by one year, you should be able to do ____________". It's more about if you feel accomplished as a guitarist. If you think that you're progressing at a good individual rate, keep at it.
lol... how about knowing at least a pentatonic and a minor scale, huh? also try fingerpicking
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
You should be able to do and know whatever you've been practicing for the past year. Guitar, and music in general, is very subjective. It all depends on what you like to play and, more importantly, what music you'd like to create. Don't use other people as measuring sticks.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
when it comes to technique, probably alternate picking
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
I'd imagine that after a year you should be able to play a rhythm in 4/4 time rather decently with a few chord changes here and there.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by DeathOn2Legs
lol... how about knowing at least a pentatonic and a minor scale, huh? also try fingerpicking

I know both
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
There's way too many things that anyone could learn in a year. Someone may learn pinch harmonics, someone else might learn slap harmonics. There's too many variables to compare any two people.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
There's way too many things that anyone could learn in a year. Someone may learn pinch harmonics, someone else might learn slap harmonics. There's too many variables to compare any two people.

i can do pinch harmonics, but watdafux are slap harmonics???

like tapped harmonics or what?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
After 1 Year...over 5000 threads have been made asking if the poster is far enough along for the amount of time they've been playing.

After 1 Year...people are getting sick of these threads.

After 1 Year...there is no specific thing you should know, or be able to play.

Everyone progresses at their own pace!!!
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
after 1 year you should know chords, scales, and the notes on the fretboard.

you should be able to play some songs, applying these chords.
Quote by Garou1911
You should be able to do and know whatever you've been practicing for the past year. Guitar, and music in general, is very subjective. It all depends on what you like to play and, more importantly, what music you'd like to create. Don't use other people as measuring sticks.

^ This!!
If it has to do with skill, then being able to play some parts of Eruption loosely maybe, and some Led Zeppelin solos. And pretty much just making it sound great in whatever style you like. I have a feeling my standards are way too high though...
skill isnt as important as your relationship with guitar, skill can come and go easily, build your love and it will last forever
Well, I've been playing for nearly a year, and I can do some easy sweep picking, alternate picking, tremelo picking, finger picking, pinch harmonics, natural harmonics, I can ALMOST do tap harmonics. I can also do fairly simple improvising on some songs.
However, I don't know theory. I don't know any scales, any of the notes on frets, I do know chords but only about five or so basic ones.
I also don't really know that many songs, cause I spend most of my time jamming away rather than actually learning stuff. :P
Just to give you an idea.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
You should know scales, or start knowing them, they are very important. You should also be pretty comfortable with a guitar in your hands, but really it depends how much time you've sat down with it for.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.