On my fret hand how should my thumb be positioned? Should it be hung over the top of the neck, or is it ok to put it against the back of the neck?
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Well, i'd been playing for 5 years over the neck, and i think im a pretty good guitarist.
Then i get my new teacher, who plays by the book, so i've essentially had to relearn thumb on the neck.
Sucks xD

Behind, cos it's the proper way.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
ok thanks
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Depends what you're doing.

Legato and general speedy wankery it should be in the middle of the neck.

Stretch licks it should be low on the neck to facilitate the stretch.

Bending and thumb-chords your thumb should be over the top of the neck.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Your thumb should just naturally adjust as you play. At least it did, for me. Stretchy licks make you place your thumb just very far back, almost on the side of the neck parallel to the ground. Speedy stuff is somewhere in the middle, and chords are overtop..
i place my thumb in the middle of the neck since it easier for to play fast riffs.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Just move it around as you play, it shouldn't just stick in one place. I Myself play Barre chords with my thumb so I'm moving all of the time.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
it depends.. whenever I play Technical Difficulties, for some reason my thumb just wants to stay behind the neck in the middle, but for the most part my thumb's on top of the neck
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1