When i play chords i put my thumb on the Low E to silence the sound... like on an A chord... is this a bad habit? because i know that some people fret with there thumb so it doesn't seem like a bad habit but i was told it was... is it? or am i not clear enough to make a desicion?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Depends what what I'm playing but for some songs i do that and use the thumb to fret the E too.
no i do it ocosinally (sp?)
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
No it's fine. Like you say, you are using it intentionally. For some chords is can be required to use your thumb to fret the bass note.

However, it would be a problem if your thumb is in a similar position all the time.
Unless you're using it to mute or fret a string, the pad of your thumb should be the only part of your thumb touching the neck and it should be right in the middle behind your middle finger.
So basically if the guitar neck wasn't there, you could touch your middle finger and thumb together.
ok cause i was told that it could be bad and i should learn to get out of it but i just couldn't break it so i guess that's good lol
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
If you were taught by a classical guitarist, they would be horrified. However, acoustic guitar isn't nearly as strict as classical. Do what works. Practicality is more important than anything else. My brother always bothers me about using my thumb to silence the low E when playing A, but then I just bring up that I can play more cleanly then him and then it just shuts him right up. He doesn't know how to play chords cleanly at all...
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
gotchya thanks
I would say that's a good habit. It's always a good idea to mute the strings you aren't playing.