So as some of you may have read, I have been building a 5 watt solid state transistor for school.

It uses all the usual resistors and capacitors and what not. It has left and right channels, each with an RCA input, a speaker terminal output, and a volume pot. It has a single power indicating LED, blue super bright. There is no switch. Once you plug it in, it is on. It takes anywhere from 6 - 12 Volts DC, with about nine or ten being a nice trade off between volume and not blowing the transistors.

So I got it home today, and I took the 12V DC power supply from my TV, and plugged it into my amp.

It must not have been 12V, because my left channel immediately stopped working. I believe there was too much voltage, and the transistors broke. It happened once before early on in the testing stages.

This is all a round about way of saying 1) I built an amp, pics to come, and 2) I ****ing hate whoever made the so called 12V power supply. I'm going to shoot their tits off.

The box is made of bent aluminum, the top is acrylic plastic. I sanded the inside to give it a frosted semi-opaque look. I really like it.

Hook me up, turn me on.

I hooked up my 360 to it, and played some bass-rumbling GTA IV with my buddies!

So, once I get the left side fixed, and I get marked, I can post some sound clips of how clear and clean it sounds!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
=O

how hard was that to make, i really want a electronics side project to do this winter, and i would love to build something like this.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Well, I find that if I have a diagram (which I did) then there is really no difference in the difficulty of making projects.

All it is, is just soldering components to a board. For me, that is as easy as tying my shoes...

All in all, I spent about and hour turning the schematic into a PCB (it was just placing parts, we had a blank PCB), 2 hours putting components in, and an hour making the case.

Of course, it's taken 2 months of classes due to ****ing things up, troubleshooting, and people in my class being idiots.

If you had a diagram, all the parts, and a rainy afternoon, you could get it done.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
hmm, sounds good to me, anyway you could get it to me?
pretty please
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Well, I would need a scanner like the one in my dads office to get you the plans...

so..

Yeah. I can get them to you tomorrow. I will forget. So maybe Saturday. Just keep reminding me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
thanks Otter, i'll make you some templates of your choice in return, deal haha?
and sure, i can bug you everyonce in a while to remind you

i hope you know i'll go crazy if i cant figure this out and get it working, im sure you'll hate me by the end of this project.....

Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
"It's a stereo amp..."

XD inb4... haha

I'd like to see that too, I need a sweet stereo system for my room
------

Shwiggity.
thanks Otter, i'll make you some templates of your choice in return, deal haha?
and sure, i can bug you everyonce in a while to remind you

Well, all I need to do is some scanning... but I'll think about what I need.

"It's a stereo amp..."

XD inb4... haha

Stereo like left and right is what I meant...

Did I make an ass of myself and not even realize it?

Also, I got some acrylic (the stuff I made the top out of) and it is totally clear before sanding. I want to make templates out of it, how do I cut that ****?

I have access to a band saw, but it kind hard to do curves with.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
i would use something like the pickguard cutter thing stewmac sells, it specfically made for pickguards so something like that.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
if you can clamp it between two thin pieces of plywood (like 1/4" thin) and mark out what you want to cut, you miiight be able to do it that way, as long as you keep the plywood clamped very well around the edge you're cutting.

And I was just yanking your chain about the stereo amp, I just saw it and it made me think... XP
------

Shwiggity.
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

srsly, you gotta expect the so-called 12V power supplies will run considerably more than 12V without a heavy load on them. you might want to do a little tweaking on the design so it can handle more than 12v before shiz starts breaking?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
interesting....

...Hey ottar is that your bed room in the pics? If it is you are one rich bastard with the stereo system and your big tv
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
srsly, you gotta expect the so-called 12V power supplies will run considerably more than 12V without a heavy load on them. you might want to do a little tweaking on the design so it can handle more than 12v before shiz starts breaking?

I should have known. It probably puts out like 30 into that amp, knowing my luck.

I have seven or eight 9V converters, but none of the plugs fit. I have no idea where to get a 9V supply that will work, unless I just solder on a battery clip, It would look terrible with a battery just flopping about on the side though.

As for that being my room, no. The stereo is from my room, and I do have a 22 inch LCD in there, but the 52 inch you see is my basement.

No I'm not rich, I swear.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
you can get every clip 9 volt adapter you could ever need at radioshack
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
You can, but I can't because I live in Canada. I have a nearly infinite supply of 9v battery snaps at my school, but I don't want a battery sort of hanging off the side.

My teacher is ordering jacks that will fit regular plugs.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
ahh, did you scan the schem yet?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim

No, and I left my binder at school because my backpack broke...

Sorry man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo