6 18%
Little Big Muff
1 3%
Double Big Muff
2 6%
Bass Big Muff
22 67%
Voters: 33.
So I have a cousin looking for a bass fuzz and he's fond of the Big Muff sound. Looking for a fuzz that can do dirty fuzz as well as sustainnnnnned fuzz.
Setup: Fender P-Bass Special -> Fuzz -> Ampeg BA115

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Nov 20, 2008,
well all big muffs will lose you low end (bar the bass big muff which i dont particularly like) i owned a big muff usa for a few months and a little big muff, they sound pretty good but like i said they lose low end. look for a russian big muff (black) or a green sovtek one (hard to get hold of)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
bass big muff. a fine muff. not my favorite, but certainly a good sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I only have experience with the Russian. With no clean signal, it is useless with a band. When you have a clean signal underneath, you DO get a nice sound. It is only really useful for the sort of synthyish distortion on Muse's Hysteria. It isn't the whole picture, but that's the general idea. Anything less than max settings sounds muddy and not good. And when the volume is high, I'm getting this weird feedback that sounds like someone singing. I can change the pitch with my wah. Its ****ing cool.
I think you're absolutely nuts if you use anything other than the Bass Big Muff.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think you're absolutely nuts if you use anything other than the Bass Big Muff.

What?
The Russian Big Muff clearly sounds better to me.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
And I think it kills your low end and nullifies your presence in a band mix.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
And I think it kills your low end and nullifies your presence in a band mix.

I find this is very true with the NYC muff. But the Russian muff sounds pretty different and is my favorite muff for bass and guitar.
The bass big muff just sounds like NYC muff that has been slightly modded to work a little better with bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I've found the Bass Big Muff to hold a lot more low end than the Russian Muff, plus it has a blend mode that allows for even more low end. If the Russian Muff was good enough they wouldn't have made the Bass Big Muff.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I've found the Bass Big Muff to hold a lot more low end than the Russian Muff, plus it has a blend mode that allows for even more low end. If the Russian Muff was good enough they wouldn't have made the Bass Big Muff.

Yeah. Because they wouldn't make a new pedal to make money right?
Quote by brandooon
The Russian Muff DOES murder your low end. Sure it doesn't pillage and plunder it, THEN kill it like the American ones, but it takes you completely away in a band setting UNLESS you have a clean signal running underneath. I'm borrowing my guitar player's muff just to play around, and this is the ONLY way I can get a sound I like. And also, it plainly doesn't sound good at the settings that don't kill your bass (i.e. low low tone, low low sustain).

Basically TS, out of these, if you don't have two signals, get the Bass Big Muff. Period. If you have two signals, maybe get a Russian or American. I don't know which one you'll like more. But either setup you have, there are other fuzz pedals you can look at in a similar price range. The MXR El Grande comes to mind for example.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The Russian Muff DOES murder your low end. Sure it doesn't pillage and plunder it, THEN kill it like the American ones, but it takes you completely away in a band setting UNLESS you have a clean signal running underneath. I'm borrowing my guitar player's muff just to play around, and this is the ONLY way I can get a sound I like. And also, it plainly doesn't sound good at the settings that don't kill your bass (i.e. low low tone, low low sustain).

Basically TS, out of these, if you don't have two signals, get the Bass Big Muff. Period. If you have two signals, maybe get a Russian or American. I don't know which one you'll like more. But either setup you have, there are other fuzz pedals you can look at in a similar price range. The MXR El Grande comes to mind for example.

No muff kills your low end. There is just as much bass there with a few tweaks. The main difference is low in definition which I feel like the russian muffs have more of. The bass big muffs just sound like a NYC one with the bass turned up. I also fail to see how any pedal can take you away completely in the mix.

Coming from someone who has the Russian and NYC muff and tried the bass big muff and has a mixer to mix the muffed signal with the clean, I like the russian the best. Just go to a store (guitar center would probably have all of them) and try them. Many people swear by many different fuzzes. Find out which one is right for you.
Quote by brandooon
Quote by Woogles
Yeah. Because they wouldn't make a new pedal to make money right?

And making a pedal that's redundant when there already exists another pedal that alledgedly does something better in the same line by the same company... that'd make money, right? Lowering the sales of the Russian Big Muff... that's what it'll do, right? Think man, think.

And a bass instrument whose cutting presence is bass frequencies having bass reduced does remove you from the mix. If you're really telling me the Muff doesn't cut your lows, you plainly and simply have not played it on proper gear that gives a proper low end output anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Woogles
No muff kills your low end. There is just as much bass there with a few tweaks. The main difference is low in definition which I feel like the russian muffs have more of. The bass big muffs just sound like a NYC one with the bass turned up. I also fail to see how any pedal can take you away completely in the mix.

Coming from someone who has the Russian and NYC muff and tried the bass big muff and has a mixer to mix the muffed signal with the clean, I like the russian the best. Just go to a store (guitar center would probably have all of them) and try them. Many people swear by many different fuzzes. Find out which one is right for you.

Mods? If you're talking about modded pedals, then yeah, a modded Russian Muff maybe doesn't cut bass.

Definition? That pretty much IS what the low end is about. If you can't hear and feel the bass as apposed to the distortion, call it whatever you want, I call it murdering your low end.

Oh, you have a mixer to mix the clean signal with the distorted? Then what the hell are we arguing about? OF COURSE if you have a clean signal its not going to kill your presence in a band. THAT'S THE REASON FOR THE SECOND SIGNAL. I'm assuming most people who run muffs DON'T run a clean signal for their bottom end underneath.
I'd say I agree with IndianRockStar on this one, scew Muffs (pun not intended) and go try the MXR el grande and Blow torch...I ordered a russian big muff (not a sovtek), it arrived in peices, showing the sheer build quality of EHX there , seriously though, the russian ones I've seen have all been badly built, though all their american pedals have been pretty good, but im getting distracted,I swapped that by taking to the store, and after a while, and a talk with the bass salesman and such, I was convinced that the Big Muff was in fact a Bif Duffer (bad pun very much intended, groan at will) and swapped my broken one for he bodd odb-3, now two years later I had a day testing fuzz/distortion pedals and tried the mxr blowtorch, after hearing the bass muff (they had non in stock so I couldnt actually play one myself) I have to say the blow torch sounds to me a lot better, and has more clarity, and versatility. Its all opinion though, spend a day playing fuzz pedals, dony restrict yourself to one brand, shop around for the sound and deal thats right for you.

word of wisdom
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"