Page 1 of 2
Have any of you guys had any good experiences with dell laptops. thanks
LOL
Most people will say no. I own one, i tweaked it up (took out vissual boot ) and other stuff in the bois and now its running perfect. No problems so far, havent had it long thuogh.

edit
also...they're probably the best bet for your money
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Last edited by hyroglyph!c at Nov 20, 2008,
I have one

It's been stolen, returned, and I broke with diskdrive with my fist, and it tries to say my copy of Windows isn't genuine...which it is, because it came straight from Dell.com.

But other than that, yeah it's a great laptop!
I have loads of dell desktops and two of their laptops. All are great for general use and their lower end units are priced fair. For higher end performance laptops, HP is the way to go if you ask me.

For an overall good deal on any desktop you should do a custom build. It's easy and saves money

Out of all the years I've been using Dells, I've only had to contact CS once for a very small and stupid question. That was years ago.

I have five desktops, two laptops, and one color laser printer ...all dells and all great in my book.

These days I run an Acer Aspire desktop and laptop because I got them for outstanding deals after rebates.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 20, 2008,
I don't care too much for Dell, but if you're working on a budget you could do much worse.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

dell sucks... i've never known someone to own a dell and not have stupid problems with it...
Dell = Crap. Get a Mac and dual boot with windows. Windows will run better on a mac than any other store-bought computers, unless you build your own that is.
I'll burn your house down.
I hear a lot of bad stuff about Dell in general, but I've also heard that their latest lineup of laptops is actually very good.
Personally I prefer to avoid things that are often advertised. The way I see it, if something that's been around for a while is truly good, it's reputation should speak for itself and it shouldn't need mass advertising.
Dell is decent at Best. Buy a cheap laptop, wipe the hard drive clean or get another one that fits you computer and put linux on it. Its open source so everything is free...and its pretty much flawless.
decent, but not too bad and decent value for the money
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Only XPS. In general, Asus is better. But the best is MacBook Pro.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by dark&broken
Personally I prefer to avoid things that are often advertised. The way I see it, if something that's been around for a while is truly good, it's reputation should speak for itself and it shouldn't need mass advertising.

That's not how modern society works, no matter how good your product is, something with better advertising will likely sell better anyway, that's because people are stupid.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Duyser
Dell = Crap. Get a Mac and dual boot with windows. Windows will run better on a mac than any other store-bought computers, unless you build your own that is.

Problem: Macs are expensive as hell.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

they're pretty bulletproof as far as drops and stuff. ive dropped my twice and its fine. but i hate the o.s.
Quote by SteveHouse

true they are, but i've had my macbook pro for a long time now and nothing bad has happened with it. its DEFINITELY worth the money
Quote by SteveHouse

Yeah, you can get a PC laptop with much better specs for a lot cheaper.

Quote by Duyser
true they are, but i've had my macbook pro for a long time now and nothing bad has happened with it. its DEFINITELY worth the money

Only if you are not willing to look around for something better.

Last.fm
Quote by Duyser

Agreed. OS X is solid and the hardware is excellent too. You've just got to be able to afford to shell out the money it's worth. ( what a train wreck that sentence became)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That's not how modern society works, no matter how good your product is, something with better advertising will likely sell better anyway, that's because people are stupid.

In general yes, but there are exceptions.
Quote by dark&broken
In general yes, but there are exceptions.

yeah but only in certain niche markets.

Last.fm
Quote by MetallicaIsGhey
Dell is decent at Best. Buy a cheap laptop, wipe the hard drive clean or get another one that fits you computer and put linux on it. Its open source so everything is free...and its pretty much flawless.

Linux may be free but hardly any software works with that OS...
I have a Dell XPS M1530 and it's fairly good. So far, no major problems. Just have to delete some of the unnecessary drivers that come with it.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

My MacBook Pro pretty much is the best for what I bought it for... which is music recording and video editing.. You find me something better for those two tasks and I'll be impressed.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

There is nothing better. I am a predominantly PC user and I've had many Windows based laptops. They are all inferior.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Duyser
My MacBook Pro pretty much is the best for what I bought it for... which is music recording and video editing.. You find me something better for those two tasks and I'll be impressed.

My old laptop (a custom job) could equal a Macbook on both of those, and it was about 2/3s of the price.

Quote by Xiaoxi
There is nothing better. I am a predominantly PC user and I've had many Windows based laptops. They are all inferior.

I have to disagree, mainly because I don't like any of Macs audio software or the OS, and using the virtual machine is too resource hungry for high powered applications.

Last.fm
Quote by moody07747
Linux may be free but hardly any software works with that OS...
Non-Linux software won't work on Linux.

But Linux programs are often far superior to Windows or Mac for the simple fact that they're community developed and the developers actually execute the ideas given to them by the community.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
My old laptop (a custom job) could equal a Macbook on both of those, and it was about 2/3s of the price.

Mac OS X. Enough Said.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Non-Linux software won't work on Linux.

But Linux programs are often far superior to Windows or Mac for the simple fact that they're community developed and the developers actually execute the ideas given to them by the community.

Depends on what you want to do, Open Office is a lot better than MS Office (and I use it on my Windows PC) but Windows and Mac have superior Audio and Video editing, I would recommend a laptop running Linux if all you wanted was general computing or programing though.

Quote by Duyser
Mac OS X. Enough Said.

I hate Mac OS X, enough said.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I hate Mac OS X, enough said.

I hate all the viruses that make PCs crash that Macs are immune to.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I have to disagree, mainly because I don't like any of Macs audio software or the OS, and using the virtual machine is too resource hungry for high powered applications.

This is the sole problem of people who think MB's are overpriced/overrated/etc. You are all obsessed with the software, which is almost completely irrelevant in a laptop.

The only thing that matters for laptops is the physical design. Because it's something that you have to take with you everywhere, because it's something that has to be very portable and durable, the main concern should be how a laptop is physically designed. You can change whatever OS you want to use, you can't change the physical material or structure of the laptop.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm typing on one now. Never had a problem with it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Duyser
I hate all the viruses that make PCs crash that Macs are immune to.

I've never had that problem, maybe because I'm not an idiot and know how to not get a bunch of viruses. That's one thing I will give to OS X, for it's total lack of diverse software, it's pretty much idiot proof.

Quote by Xiaoxi
This is the sole problem of people who think MB's are overpriced/overrated/etc. You are all obsessed with the software, which is almost completely irrelevant in a laptop.

The only thing that matters for laptops is the physical design. Because it's something that you have to take with you everywhere, because it's something that has to be very portable and durable, the main concern should be how a laptop is physically designed. You can change whatever OS you want to use, you can't change the physical material or structure of the laptop.

A computer, no matter how elegantly designed and well constructed, is totally useless if it can't run the software you need it to run. So, no it's not irrelevant at all.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

A computer, no matter how elegantly designed and well constructed, is totally useless if it can't run the software you need it to run. So, no it's not irrelevant at all.
So you install the operating system that you need to run the software that you need.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
So you install the operating system that you need to run the software that you need.

I've never seen anyone running windows on a Mac without using the virtual machine, which is a major resource hog.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've never seen anyone running windows on a Mac without using the virtual machine, which is a major resource hog.
Or you can just set up a multi boot and use Windows or Linux by itself.

This is why I don't see a Mac as a "Mac". It's just another PC. You do whatever you want with it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have a Dell laptop and truthfully I don't recommend it.. windows on the thing is absolute ballz. I say go HP.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Or you can just set up a multi boot and use Windows or Linux by itself.

This is why I don't see a Mac as a "Mac". It's just another PC. You do whatever you want with it.

I've never seen that work without issues, I'd rather just get something with better specs for cheaper and with the ability to upgrade, you know, the clearly superior alternative.

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2