i want a guitar that will be moderately versatile but it is either gonna be a Mexican tele or the epihone dot studio, which would be better for a punk sound but i can still play grunge or metal on when necessary

i have seen some of my favorite bands with these guitars and there both in my price range, for the dot bands such as blink 182 and rancid have used it but NOFX and the clash play with a tele,
Last edited by darthmnky at Nov 20, 2008,
the dot is based of the es355 though, so is the es333 good enough for me, and as for rancid, in the ruby soho music video i am almost certain tim uses a dot
Quote by darthmnky
the dot is based of the es355 though, so is the es333 good enough for me, and as for rancid, in the ruby soho music video i am almost certain tim uses a dot

A quick wiki search says it's a Hagström Viking in the Ruby Soho video

(I just don't like dot's if you haven't noticed xD)
Quote by darthmnky

I believe he has a (few) Hagstrom Viking(s) and Epiphone ES335 or Dot. He's using his red Viking in the Ruby Soho video.

Pinkhaze beat me to it, Hagstrom makes great guitars, by the way.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
i still am not sure what i should get, regardless the point was that rancid owns and has used the dot, what would be better for a punk sound?
Quote by darthmnky
i still am not sure what i should get, regardless the point was that rancid owns and has used the dot, what would be better for a punk sound?

ehhh if you're going to be using it for punk music... you'll probably have to swap out the pickups on both of them...

I say go try them both... Guitar Center will definitely have both of them.
Either would be fine to be honest, it's just personal preference. Have you played either the Tele or a hollow-body, how did they sound to you, how did they feel?

There's not really a "punk" sound, as much as everyone says it and I hate to say it. A hollowbody should not be used for high-gain metal (pr high-gain anything), just for sake of outrageous feedback. I have a friend who uses an Ibanez Artcore and he plays punk just fine, but sometimes the way they set up the stage makes it feedback horrendously. A tele would not give you this trouble, I've seen plenty of vidoes with a tele being used for metal.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
i currently use an special II les paul and not only is it almost embarrassing to play a live show(played at the knitting factory the other day and one envious of all the great guitars around me) but its heavier then strapping a full grown monkey to my shoulder. i know for a fact they are both light and they both have a good sound, the tele has this twang it that iv never felt before, the dot has got an interesting tone that stands out a lot to me, i guess ill just keep em both next to me and keep switching till i decide one has beat the other
Quote by Mr.Camo
Either would be fine to be honest, it's just personal preference. Have you played either the Tele or a hollow-body, how did they sound to you, how did they feel?

There's not really a "punk" sound, as much as everyone says it and I hate to say it. A hollowbody should not be used for high-gain metal (pr high-gain anything), just for sake of outrageous feedback. I have a friend who uses an Ibanez Artcore and he plays punk just fine, but sometimes the way they set up the stage makes it feedback horrendously. A tele would not give you this trouble, I've seen plenty of vidoes with a tele being used for metal.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be able to use either (with out switching the pick ups on the tele especially) I'm very picky with my sound >.<