Hey guys, I was wondering if, when playing an arpeggio, you HAVE to go to the next note (in the root-M3-m3) in the pattern. For example, for an A Major arpeggio, you'd normally play A-C#-E, (correct me if I'm wrong), but do you HAVE to play A-C#-E-A-C#-E in that pattern? Or can you do something like A-C#-E-C#-E-C#-A with it still being considered an "A Major arpeggio"?

I understand I may have made myself look like an idiot. That's fine with me as long as my question gets answered

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

[/Idiot trying to sweep-pick]
As long as you start with A, and use the root, third and fifth, or an A Major Triad (as many times and in whichever order you want) it is considered an A Major (Root Position) Arpeggio

So if you start with A, and use any notes in an A Major triad, it is classified as an A Major Arpeggio Root Position.
^ If you want it to be in root position you do. (obviously you know that, Im just picking)

Start with the 3rd, its in 1st Inversion, start with the 5th its in 2nd Inversion.
My point wasnt that you could'nt play arpeggio's on different notes than the root, but playing an arpeggio starting from the third or fifth, and calling it A Major Triad Root Position, is slightly misguiding.
It wouldn't be misleading; it would be completely incorrect. However, arps are played so many different ways that denoting what inversion is played or outlined is inane.
Arpeggio is a "broken chord"...so playing them in order is not required. as long as you have the notes A C# E within it it will be an arpeggio.
Don't forget you can add the 7th 9th 11th and 13th in! make it colourful!
Quote by Zanon
Don't forget you can add the 7th 9th 11th and 13th in! make it colourful!
My musical theory knowledge says that's a joke (as if you add all of those in, you're just doing scalar runs), but my respect in MT says no-one will ever deliberatly mislead the T/S.
Im assuming he did not mean all at once, otherwise, twould be just a scalar run. Adding a Maj7 or another extension, not all of them at once.