Page 1 of 2
Double Edit: This is now the violin discussion thread.

I've really been wanting to get a violin for a while, but I'm not sure what to look for. I can play decently so far, but I don't actually own one... I'm not sure how much to spend on a decent violin. Probably the equivalent of the quality of a $500-$600 guitar. I'd prefer an all-acoustic, with a mellower tone. Also, I'm not sure about bows, either. Can somebody make any recommendations?

I'd really appreciate any and all help.

Edit: Also, does anybody know of a violin-equivalent of UG?
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by captaincrunk
I've heard good things about Stradivarius. I think he's supposed to make some decent ones.

Hope i helped

Meh those are pretty poor quality actually, your just paying for a name with those,
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I actually have a violin that I played with for 6 years, but I don't play anymore.

Its a full size, but I still like fiddle around with it(lol pun) but if I didn't, I would let you buy it.

Go into a local music shop and ask if they can recommend any full-sized violins.

I had a Mark-II, which was shit, but it got the job done.

*They censored shit again!
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Well, a $500 violin is pretty close in quality to a $500 guitar (but I'm using my PRS SE Custom as a standard... :/ ) I would go to a local music retailer and ask if there are any violin makers in the area (Where do you live btw? That is important)

Also, I don't reccomend you get a bow that is worth less than $100.... That is a low quality bow, but it's not the lowest and it would suffice.

(I've been playing violin since about...age 4 and I've played on and off for the past few years in case you're wondering whethor or not I'm qualified to be saying any of this haha...But I would definitely reccomend you find somebody who actually makes the violins or at least specializes in working with/on them because they usually give you the best quality violins/bows for your money and they will be able to help you if anything goes wrong...If you buy one from a store, you may never see the guy who sold it to you again and you'd likely have to pay to fix anything.)
Last edited by eds1275 at Nov 20, 2008,
Sorry, I had to post when I saw the word violin. I can play mandolin banjo uke guitar and piano. I seem to have an aptitude for stringed instruments...The reason I post, is because I am in the exact opposit situation of the thread starter..I own a violin but can't play. the question I have, Is is it really as hard as people think?
I'm probably one of the only violinists here... I've been playing for about 10 years.

Stradivarius violins are OLD. Like, 1600s or 1700s. They are without a doubt the greatest violins ever made but you'll have to shell out a couple million for one, assuming they're even for sale. Any copies are just that... copies. They're awful.

A good violin will cost you upwards of $1000. Mine, which is probably the equivalent of a $800 guitar, cost $5000. Brands are not well-defined with violins because they are hand-made and the mass-produced ones are ALL crap. Good luck finding a nice one without breaking the bank.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The reason I don't just go ask a music store, is because I know all about guitars, and people commonly get fooled into bad purchases (MGs, Spiders, etc.), and with my limited knowledge of violin manufacturers, I don't want to get fooled. So I wanted to get more helpful info here. But I will try some music stores, regardless.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Quote by Flying Couch
No.

Viola > Violin. Guess what I play.

...Cello?

I wish I'd picked cello instead of violin... Ah well. I'd play the guitar more than that too anyway haha
Quote by Andybren8690
Sorry, I had to post when I saw the word violin. I can play mandolin banjo uke guitar and piano. I seem to have an aptitude for stringed instruments...The reason I post, is because I am in the exact opposit situation of the thread starter..I own a violin but can't play. the question I have, Is is it really as hard as people think?

nope
Violas= failed violinists who cant play in tune, high-school level ones anyway.

I'm second chair in my local orchestra, about to become first chair/concert master next year.

And yes, it'll take >2 years before you can even play quarter notes at 120 bpm without bowing onto the fingerboard, and in tune too.
Quote by stradivari310

Stradivarius violins are OLD. Like, 1600s or 1700s. They are without a doubt the greatest violins ever made but you'll have to shell out a couple million for one, assuming they're even for sale. Any copies are just that... copies. They're awful.

Actually, from what I hear some of the copies are pretty damn good, but they aren't cheap, and they aren't without a doubt the best, they're just popular at the moment, different makers go through phases of popularity.

Quote by Twisted Magnum
Violas= failed violinists who cant play in tune, high-school level ones anyway.

I'm second chair in my local orchestra, about to become first chair/concert master next year.

And yes, it'll take >2 years before you can even play quarter notes at 120 bpm without bowing onto the fingerboard, and in tune too.

Violas sound much nicer than Violins.

and I know some people who could play fairly well after a year, depends on how you learn and all that.

Last.fm
Quote by stradivari310
I'm probably one of the only violinists here... I've been playing for about 10 years.

A good violin will cost you upwards of $1000. Mine, which is probably the equivalent of a $800 guitar, cost $5000. Brands are not well-defined with violins because they are hand-made and the mass-produced ones are ALL crap. Good luck finding a nice one without breaking the bank.

aren't we special...? I've been playing for 13 years. Shove it (lol I kid, I kid. But please do take your ego down a notch, mmkay?)
You want to look for a handmade one if you want quality. a good one is probably gunna cost at bare minimum 1000, bows don't go under 150 cause they are crap. The main thing to look for is comfort, playability, and just try before you by get one that sounds nice to you, when you test them play scales fast and slow, and play a fast song and a slow song so you can get a feel for the responsiveness.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Meh those are pretty poor quality actually, your just paying for a name with those,

you get HUGE stupid points for that one
original strativarious violins are some of the most sought after instruments in the world i'd be honored just to touch one let alone own it

500 bucks will buy you a good violin
mine ran me about $2500 so if you want a high quality violin get ready to pay big
but if you just play for funsies $500 will get you set up alright
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Hey, no ego there. Just saying violin takes time and money. Nice to see a fellow violinist here .

What songs have you learned lately?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Wow, and people always say guitars are expensive....

My friend says you should be able to pick up a decent beginner 4/4 sized violin for around $500 and to budget $100 for the bow, and to avoid fiberglass bows.

I think a handmade violin is really excessive for someone who is just starting out.

Quote by stratsrule1990
you get HUGE stupid points for that one
original strativarious violins are some of the most sought after instruments in the world i'd be honored just to touch one let alone own it

I think your sarcasm meter is broken... twat.

Last.fm
Quote by Andybren8690

not at all. for me at least. it just takes practice
Quote by stradivari310
Hey, no ego there. Just saying violin takes time and money. Nice to see a fellow violinist here .

What songs have you learned lately?

lol yes...it does take time...

I haven't had a chance to play that consistently in the past couple of months because of school...Before I moved two septembers ago I was in the orchestra and I just did random junt...Whatever the director dictated really...I never really got into All-West type stuff :/
The most recent stuff was just some fiddle duets and whatnot.

How about yourself?
Thanks for the help so far, guys. I usually play my friend's violin for hours at a time. I love it just as much as I love playing guitar and piano, and I can't wait to really get into it. Alexander Markov inspired me a lot to want a violin, and also learning a lot of Paganini work on guitar inspired me. Pretty much, whatever I can play on guitar, I can play on piano and violin.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
If you can already play then you should definitely go to a music store and try some out. Most people who run shops catering to classical instruments are really helpful.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Wow, and people always say guitars are expensive....

My friend says you should be able to pick up a decent beginner 4/4 sized violin for around $500 and to budget $100 for the bow, and to avoid fiberglass bows.

I think a handmade violin is really excessive for someone who is just starting out.

I think your sarcasm meter is broken... twat.

sorry im just alittle tired

but try acouple of violins before you buy
they're all unique because of the vast varity of makers(if you can try and stay away from non-handmade)
if your budget on the bow is 100 your really only gonna be able to get fiberglass so i recomend you get fiberlass for now and save up for a high quality bow

just remember to have fun
violin takes alittle longer to learn but its well worth it

Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by eds1275
lol yes...it does take time...

I haven't had a chance to play that consistently in the past couple of months because of school...Before I moved two septembers ago I was in the orchestra and I just did random junt...Whatever the director dictated really...I never really got into All-West type stuff :/
The most recent stuff was just some fiddle duets and whatnot.

How about yourself?

I have to agree with you there, school and music are pretty incompatible, especially with AP classes taking over my life.

Just had to learn the Csardas by Monti for an audition for the CT Southern Regionals... which I just barely made by 8 points. I'm currently working on a Beethoven romance and a the Bach Partita No. 3 in E major. Fun stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

whaddaya thing a stradivarius that's in horrible shape but it is an original would go for...(i have one)??????
Quote by stratsrule1990
sorry im just alittle tired

but try acouple of violins before you buy
they're all unique because of the vast varity of makers(if you can try and stay away from non-handmade)
if your budget on the bow is 100 your really only gonna be able to get fiberglass so i recomend you get fiberlass for now and save up for a high quality bow

just remember to have fun
violin takes alittle longer to learn but its well worth it

I was able to get a pretty good Brazilwood bow for my viol for about $85, unless Violin bows are really marked up for some reason it's just a matter of looking.

Quote by Andybren8690
whaddaya thing a stradivarius that's in horrible shape but it is an original would go for...(i have one)??????

If you really had a genuine Stadivarius, you would have had it appraised a long time ago for insurance purposes and wouldn't be asking about it on the net.

Last.fm
Quote by stradivari310
I have to agree with you there, school and music are pretty incompatible, especially with AP classes taking over my life.

Just had to learn the Csardas by Monti for an audition for the CT Southern Regionals... which I just barely made by 8 points. I'm currently working on a Beethoven romance and a the Bach Partita No. 3 in E major. Fun stuff.

uuugh don't even get me started on AP's...AP US history is the devil. I had a test the other week on over five hundred pages of material >.<
plus I wanna keep guitar up (I'd like to make a career out of music and I'd prefer to be a guitar player) so there's almost no time for violin this year

oooh I've heard the Bach bit before. Friend of mine did that for some audition thingy a few years back and was practicing it....

I know it's not very hard, but I wanna learn some of the movements from Vivaldi's Four Seasons... That's prob what I'll do when I find the time. I got hung up on it after I heard Alexi Laiho do the presto movement on the guitar.
Quote by Andybren8690

I highly doubt that's an original... they can go for millions if they're authentic though.

Quote by eds1275
uuugh don't even get me started on AP's...AP US history is the devil. I had a test the other week on over five hundred pages of material >.<
plus I wanna keep guitar up (I'd like to make a career out of music and I'd prefer to be a guitar player) so there's almost no time for violin this year

oooh I've heard the Bach bit before. Friend of mine did that for some audition thingy a few years back and was practicing it....

I know it's not very hard, but I wanna learn some of the movements from Vivaldi's Four Seasons... That's prob what I'll do when I find the time. I got hung up on it after I heard Alexi Laiho do the presto movement on the guitar.

Oh God, AP US is the devil. That and AP electricity and magnetism dominate my life.

I love the Four Seasons, Vivaldi was a genius. IMO Spring is the best one to start with, and afaik Winter is the hardest but it's also extremely cool. Any Vivaldi concerto is fantastic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Andybren8690

it all depends
theres quiet a large market of fake strdivariouses so you have to get it check if its legit
also if its made by antonio stradivarius(quiet a few of his family also made instruments) that gives it a substantial price gain

take it to a shop and see its value before some randon pit monkey convinces you to sell it for 20 bucks

Bob Marley
Pox!
Meet your new bible:

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I wouldnt sell it cause the longer I hang on to it the more it's worth. And It was found between the walls of an apartment that my uncle rented...
Quote by DashBlaster
Lol to Xiaoxi.

I'm serious. I am devoted to this book.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Andybren8690
I wouldnt sell it cause the longer I hang on to it the more it's worth. And It was found between the walls of an apartment that my uncle rented...

Still, you should get it appraised. Trust me, I've seen ONE real Strad in my life, and countless copies. COUNTLESS! And the real strad belonged to an performer, and was being loaned to him from a museum.

To Xiaoxi:
That book is bothering me. I love all the pieces in it, but they are all just too easy or too hard. I learned the Gigue (Giga?) from Partita 3 in E, and the Gigue (Giga?) from Partita 2. They were pretty easy, and now I'm trying to learn the Corrente from Partita 1, and it's frustrating because it's awkward as hell. Someday I'll learn the Chaconne though, someday. Is that the edition you have?
Last edited by DashBlaster at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by DashBlaster
Still, you should get it appraised. Trust me, I've seen ONE real Strad in my life, and countless copies. COUNTLESS! And the real strad belonged to an performer, and was being loaned to him from a museum.

To Xiaoxi:
That book is bothering me. I love all the pieces in it, but they are all just too easy or too hard. I learned the Gigue (Giga?) from Partita 3 in E, and the Gigue (Giga?) from Partita 2. They were pretty easy, and now I'm trying to learn the Corrente from Partita 1, and it's frustrating because it's awkward as hell. Someday I'll learn the Chaconne though, someday. Is that the edition you have?

I agree with you on the Bach pieces... I'm working on the whole Partita No. 3 and as a whole it's pretty tough even though there are only a couple songs that are actually difficult. The Loure is quite awkward, and of course the prelude is difficult in and of itself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by DashBlaster

To Xiaoxi:

Well the utmost important thing when it comes to this collection: You have to understand exactly what Bach was trying to do with the violin. I recommend Szeryng's edition because it has a thorough introduction that will enlighten you to the exact genius of Bach's techniques and intentions.

If any of the pieces seem too easy for you, it's because you're playing it wrong. Even some of the world's virtuosos can't play Bach correctly.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well the utmost important thing when it comes to this collection: You have to understand exactly what Bach was trying to do with the violin. I recommend Szeryng's edition because it has a thorough introduction that will enlighten you to the exact genius of Bach's techniques and intentions.

If any of the pieces seem too easy for you, it's because you're playing it wrong.

This is very true. Bach and other baroque composers write tons of deceptively simple pieces that are in fact quite challenging to play truly well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
This is very true. Bach and other baroque composers write tons of deceptively simple pieces that are in fact quite challenging to play truly well.

Actually, I despise baroque. If it were possible, I'd place Bach in his very own genre. He is worlds above the other baroque composers. He is also the person who has the most influence on the technical possibility of a violin.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I also play the violin, and have grown to hate vivaldi especially over the past 4 years. Actually he's a brilliant composer, but I just do not enjoy playing it. And I think you mentioned Csardas, I'm learning that right now and it's much better than any vivaldi or bach piece I've ever played.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2