Page 1 of 2
I don't gig at all and have no desire to try to make a living playing music, but I really love the sound of the rectifier series and I'm thinking about maybe getting a roadster or dual rectifier as my only amp. I played one for the first time last night and was amazed at how good it sounded. It's exactly the tone I'm going for. Everybody says they have to be cranked up to sound great but I played a dual rectifier at like .5 or maybe 1 and to me it sounded awesome. It's absolutely the sound I want.

I know this amp is about $2,200 but assuming I have the money to buy it (and I do) would it be a total waste to never turn this thing any higher than about 1 or 2, since it would only be for home use? I could always get an attenuator I guess...if I wanted to crank it...but to me it sounds fine at 1.
get a hot plate, i think those are attenuators...
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Yeh, THD Hotplates are attenuators...correct. So, like how high could I crank the amp with an attenuator? Is there any limit?
The title of this thread is almost an oxymoron XD.

If thats what you want, and you have the cash, go for it. Most people that I know that have done that end up selling the amp in aobut a year, but that doesn't change the fact that its still a kickass amp.

On the other hand, I would consider looking at some nice modeling gear. The technology that Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, and Line 6 are putting out is incredible. Not to mention it would be far more versatile than a single head, even if its a dual recto.

A decent computer + Guitar Rig 3 (or any other good modeling software) + Good speakers can be a great solution. The digital stuff is getting better and better, especially on the high end.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey

If thats what you want, and you have the cash, go for it. Most people that I know that have done that end up selling the amp in aobut a year, but that doesn't change the fact that its still a kickass amp.

On the other hand, I would consider looking at some nice modeling gear. The technology that Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, and Line 6 are putting out is incredible. Not to mention it would be far more versatile than a single head, even if its a dual recto.

A decent computer + Guitar Rig 3 (or any other good modeling software) + Good speakers can be a great solution. The digital stuff is getting better and better, especially on the high end.

Yeh, that's a great point. Actually, I was also looking at a Vetta, too. It's cheaper than the rectifier and will give me a much wider variety of tone possibilities and effects. True, it's "digital", but I agree when you say that digital modeling technology has come a long way in the past several years and it's definitely worth considering when it comes to spending this much money. Digital technology, in the right hands, can sound incredible.
Quote by USAPeavey

i think this couldn't be farther from the truth.. you can't compare a line 6 to a mesa. IMHO modelling amps/software are horrible. I can't stand the digital sound of them. I like analog stuff.. just as you can't replace a tube amp with a SS, you can't replace anything with a modelling amp when comparing to a mesa. Mesa's are some of the best amps ever made. modelling amps TRY to sound like them. get the real deal if you can.

if you have the money, get it.. i wish i found my tone.. i'mstill on the hunt... hopefully by christmas i'll have found it for under like 600..

buy the hot plate, you're all set..

ROCK ON DUDE
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i think this couldn't be farther from the truth.. you can't compare a line 6 to a mesa. IMHO modelling amps/software are horrible. I can't stand the digital sound of them. I like analog stuff.. just as you can't replace a tube amp with a SS, you can't replace anything with a modelling amp when comparing to a mesa. Mesa's are some of the best amps ever made. modelling amps TRY to sound like them. get the real deal if you can.

if you have the money, get it.. i wish i found my tone.. i'mstill on the hunt... hopefully by christmas i'll have found it for under like 600..

ROCK ON DUDE

Another great example of why tone is subjective.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with him to an extent, but now that you have played the Mesa, I encourage you to try to demo the Vetta or POD X3 through a nice cab or pair of studio monitors. Then make the choice.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Attenuators aren't QUITE as good as cranking. Get like...a 212 cab and run it through that with an attenuator if you MUST. Check out the Mark IV though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

ROCK ON DUDE

Yeh, I've been looking at all kinds of amps for the past 3-4 months and was trying to stay away from Mesa because of the price but I finally broke down and played one last night and just absolutely loved the tone. It is EXACTLY what I'm trying to sound like. So, now I guess I'm just trying to justify the price...the sound is incredible though, so maybe it's worth the money. If it's the only amp that gives me the sound I want, then it's probably worth the money.
Oh, I forgot to ask. Can you use a Hot Plate with a combo amp like the Roadster or does it only work with a cab and head?

And, thanks for the Vetta feedback. I'm hoping to demo that one this weekend...been having some problems finding any stores that have that in stock!
If you must have one, buy used.

Buying a Mesa head new is a waste of money, as it is with buying pretty much every piece of guitar equipment.

Oh and go for an older 2-channel one if you can, much better sounding imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There is no need to buy a new Mesa recto.

If you're looking for the recto tone in an easier to swallow pill, maybe consider the Rect-o-verb. A single recto will do a great job at the dual recto tone as well. It will sound a little different, and not be much quieter, but it might be quiet enough.

And by bedroom, if you live in a house something with some space between other residents, in other words, not an apartment, you can crank your amp up a little bit when say, your parents aren't home or something.

One thing that I don't believe has been recommend yet is an overdrive. It can help an amp just as much as an attenuator at being usable in low volume situations.

Vetta's are pretty sweet too. I about traded one for my Framus Dragon, declining 2 Mesa Rectifier offers. The sheer number of features onboard will keep you occupied for days. If you're someone who wants to plug in and play, the vetta might not be for you. If you enjoy tweaking and replicating (if you please) other musicians then I recommend it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Skierinanutshel
attenuator. most definitely.

Why does everyone recommend a attenuator. With Mesa's? You don't need one! If you adjust the mix knob in the FX loop you basically self attenuate the amp.

Buy the amp if that's what you want. No Line 6 or modeling software will make up for the fact that in 6 months, you will be kicking yourself in the ars for not buying the Mesa.

Besides you may not gig now, or two years from now. But if you do you already have a kick ass amp. And not some outdated software or spider amp.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Go for a Rect-o-verb man.
I own one and I love it.
I got mine for $750 used.
It nails just about any genre you could name.
It does anything from blues to metal, and it does it all well.
I only play at my house and it sounds just fine at low volume.
Quote by m_Soares
I agree with why not get a single rectifier...

The tone is considerably different.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The tone is considerably different.....

So is a dual recto at bedroom volumes and at higher volumes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hey, thanks a lot for all of the replies and information. I think I'm going to either get a dual rectifier, a rectoverb, or a Vetta. I just need to find a place that has the Vetta in stock to play and that should help determine which one I get.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you must have one, buy used.

Buying a Mesa head new is a waste of money, as it is with buying pretty much every piece of guitar equipment.

Oh and go for an older 2-channel one if you can, much better sounding imo.

Definitely agree!!!!!!!!!!

I got a used '94 Triple recto (blackface) years ago for $900!!!!

Never had a problem with it and it does sound BETTER than the new ones!!!
Quote by Jeffmo929
Definitely agree!!!!!!!!!!

I got a used '94 Triple recto (blackface) years ago for $900!!!!

Never had a problem with it and it does sound BETTER than the new ones!!!

Nice! I've always wanted a blackface, but it looks like they're pretty hard to find now days
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by stevem326
Hey, thanks a lot for all of the replies and information. I think I'm going to either get a dual rectifier, a rectoverb, or a Vetta. I just need to find a place that has the Vetta in stock to play and that should help determine which one I get.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Vetta's are actually really nice, got some great high gain models.

Don't listen to everyone that thinks all line 6 products suck. Sure, spider's are an abomination to mankind but vetta's are really nice.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
Vetta's are actually really nice, got some great high gain models.

Don't listen to everyone that thinks all line 6 products suck. Sure, spider's are an abomination to mankind but vetta's are really nice.

Thanks, yeh, I've heard a lot of good things about the Vetta but there are some known software bugs with it that have been discussed in the Line 6 forums that sound pretty bad...a lot of unhappy campers over there. I'd post a link but I'm not sure that's allowed here. Basically, it sounds like when you update to version 2.5 of the latest Vetta software, it introduces a bunch of bugs.

It sounds like, overall, the amp is still very good but there are definitely some software glitches that come along with it...hmm...I'll have to do some more research on that one.

That's one big plus for the tube amp...no software to worry about...just tubes, and they are easy to replace.
Last edited by stevem326 at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by USAPeavey

I've always leand toward analog, it just sounds better IMO. I think the DR plus a Hot Plate would be perfect
Follow me on twitter and junk @GodDammitZack
almost every high wattage tube amp is going to be pointless to own for bedroom use. not to mention the amount of cash your wasting. I say go for a Vetta.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by stevem326
Thanks, yeh, I've heard a lot of good things about the Vetta but there are some known software bugs with it that have been discussed in the Line 6 forums that sound pretty bad...a lot of unhappy campers over there. I'd post a link but I'm not sure that's allowed here. Basically, it sounds like when you update to version 2.5 of the latest Vetta software, it introduces a bunch of bugs.

It sounds like, overall, the amp is still very good but there are definitely some software glitches that come along with it...hmm...I'll have to do some more research on that one.

I've had my Vetta II for a good 7 or 8 months now and definitely can't complain. Most of the complaints that you see on the Line6 board are guys who are waiting for another software update for the Vetta II, which most likely isn't coming. My Vetta has the 2.5 software and works flawlessly. Can't say I've come across any problems with the 2.5 update. The only thing you want to steer clear of is downloading patches from Custom Tone that aren't specifically for the Vetta, that's a good way to introduce bugs and/or glitches.

Quote by FightinIrishPJ

ROCK ON DUDE

...said the Marshall MG owner.
Quote by Guitarmiester

...said the Marshall MG owner.

HAHA OWNED!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Guitarmiester
I've had my Vetta II for a good 7 or 8 months now and definitely can't complain. Most of the complaints that you see on the Line6 board are guys who are waiting for another software update for the Vetta II, which most likely isn't coming. My Vetta has the 2.5 software and works flawlessly. Can't say I've come across any problems with the 2.5 update. The only thing you want to steer clear of is downloading patches from Custom Tone that aren't specifically for the Vetta, that's a good way to introduce bugs and/or glitches.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the majority of Vetta owners are okay with the 2.5 update but a fair number of them are really ticked off, though. I really just want the Vetta for all of the different amp and cab models and it sounds like those are all fine with the 2.5 update. It sounds like people who are doing some really, really intricate stuff are the only ones who are having the most problems.

How would you compare the Vetta II to the Flextone III? Is it really worth the extra money? I realize the Vetta has a ton more models and features but I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has maybe owned or played both of them.

Thanks again to everybody for all of this great advice and feedback!
I've spent a fair amount of time with the Flextone III as well. The Flextone amps are great for the money. They're more along the lines of a plug-and-play kind of amp. You've got a decent selection of amps, cabs, stomps, effects, delays, and reverbs to chose from that sound great with minimal tweaking.

The Vetta is much more involved. Like you already know, there are a lot more amp, cab, stomps, effects, delays, routing options, and various other hidden features that take time to tweak for best results.

Is there anything specific you're wanting to know about either amp? I'd rather not post a long response with only general information, I'd rather hit on some topics that concern you the most.
look here's the deal, if you love that recto tone, and you have the money to spend on one, then by all means get a dual recto. that will leave you the most happy and its what you want. your not going to be 100% satisfied with anything else since you want that dual recto sound. dont worry about it "being a waste" because that's nonsense. if you want it, you get it, and you play it.

you can play just fine with the volume at 1-2, and if you need more saturation, you can always get a hotplate. and guess what? if its just too much for you in the long run, you can sell it! mesa boogie gear keeps its value very well if its in great condition.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by Guitarmiester
Is there anything specific you're wanting to know about either amp? I'd rather not post a long response with only general information, I'd rather hit on some topics that concern you the most.

Thanks for all the additional info. The only thing I'm worried about with the Flextone is is how close is the recto model to the real thing? I understand comparing a $600 modeling amp to a $2,200 recto isn't really fair, though. If I can get a decent amount of crunch and sustain out of a Flextone, it might make more sense to go with that. Something close to an Alice in Chains or early Metallica tone would make me happy, even if it's not exactly like a real dual rectifier tone.

Everything I've read about the Flex III (and heard on YouTube) is that they're very good for metal but I also play really clean stuff like the Eagles and Neil Young...along with some early classic stuff like VH, GnR, Rush, etc. I love the real recto for the high gain stuff but it might not be the best choice for cleans (especially at lower volumes).

I just got a postcard from Guitar Center where they're selling Line 6 stuff at 15% off next Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and a few weeks ago Music123 had Line 6 amps on sale at 20%...so that might be a better choice. Mesa Boogie never puts their stuff on sale.

You know, as much as I love the recto tone I would like to have some effects to mess around with which means I'm looking at shelling out even more than $2,200 on some pedals. If I go with the Flextone, all of that is already built in. And, the way you describe the Vetta, it makes me want to go with the Flextone instead. I don't mind a fair amount of tweaking but the more I read about all of the different options on the Vetta...I dunno, sounds a little overwhelming to me. I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes tweaking my amp just to get the right tone for a 3 minute song.

So, again, my only remaining question to you would be how much gain/sustain/crunch can the Flextone deliver? From what I've read and heard it's a very good amp in that regard. And it will probably do cleans a lot better at low volumes compared to the recto at low volumes. Plus it's a ton cheaper than the recto, too...$1,600.
Last edited by stevem326 at Nov 21, 2008,
I just want to throw my $.02 in here, and say that if you want a Dual Rectifier tone... you won't get one from anything else. If thats the sound you want, just do it. And when no one is home, crank it up a bit, stand a little ways away so you don't deaf yourself, and just let rip, or just attenuate the beast. Also. I've now had some modeling stuff and some straight up tube stuff, and I could never use the POD straight into the PA again, I just use it in my Loop for mod effects. You can't TRULY model tube tone. You just cant. Getting an amp like mine allowed me to get amazing tones, and discover things out of my guitar that I didn't know I could have. Its like I have a brand new instrument too. And my amp is a lot less than a Mesa. I don't know. I reccomend line 6 as a stepping stone on your way to something bigger. If you get a Dual Recto, you'll never need to upgrade again.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by guitardude11
look here's the deal, if you love that recto tone, and you have the money to spend on one, then by all means get a dual recto. that will leave you the most happy and its what you want. your not going to be 100% satisfied with anything else since you want that dual recto sound. dont worry about it "being a waste" because that's nonsense. if you want it, you get it, and you play it.

you can play just fine with the volume at 1-2, and if you need more saturation, you can always get a hotplate. and guess what? if its just too much for you in the long run, you can sell it! mesa boogie gear keeps its value very well if its in great condition.

There's a lot of truth to what you say. I could go with the Flextone and probably be happy. But, you never know, I could play it and kick myself every day saying, "I coulda got a REAL recto instead of this modeler" and never be happy.

And, true, if I did get the recto and change my mind later it would be very easy to sell it. And I take really good care of all of my equipment and wouldn't be travelling with it at all...so it would be in perfect shape.
Quote by stevem326
There's a lot of truth to what you say. I could go with the Flextone and probably be happy. But, you never know, I could play it and kick myself every day saying, "I coulda got a REAL recto instead of this modeler" and never be happy.

And, true, if I did get the recto and change my mind later it would be very easy to sell it. And I take really good care of all of my equipment and wouldn't be travelling with it at all...so it would be in perfect shape.

And if you wanted to use it outside the bedroom, like, if you started gigging. Well. Then you'd have an amazing amp that you could really turn loose. :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the advice. I played a Flextone III today and decided I'm going to get that over the Recto or the Vetta. A few weeks ago I played a Flextone for only 5 minutes and wasn't too impressed by it. But today I spent a good 30-45 minutes with it and was able to get some incredible tones...everything from rich cleans, to classic rock, to high-gain metal...I was very impressed. The Flextone is an incredible amp for the price and will be perfect for a bedroom.

No, it's not a Dual Rectifier but for $599 it's one-third the price of the Recto and while it doesn't sound *exactly* like a Recto I was able to get a tone close enough to the Mesa tone to make me happy. Even through a $500 PRS SE Hollowbody the Flextone had some great crunch and sustain...simply awesome!

The Vetta sounds pretty awesome, too, but Line 6 is no longer offering any upgrades to it and the latest upgrade (2.5) apparently has quite a few bugs so I'm not sure I want to go down that road right now. I think I'll save $1,000 and stick with the Flextone.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's feedback and advice...you guys are priceless with all the great input.
Last edited by stevem326 at Nov 22, 2008,
The Flextone is a nice amp and is capable of gigging, if you go down that road in the future. Are you going to get the 1x12 combo or 2x12 stereo combo?
Quote by Guitarmiester
The Flextone is a nice amp and is capable of gigging, if you go down that road in the future. Are you going to get the 1x12 combo or 2x12 stereo combo?

Probably the 1X12. That's the model I played today. Do you see any benefit to getting the 2X12? I don't really need the extra volume or anything. Do you think I'd hear much of a difference between the two? I can crank it a bit but I generally want to keep this at bedroom volumes so I think I'd be pretty happy with the 1X12. But if the sound would be better with the 2X12 I'd be willing to spend the extra $100. Will I really notice a major stereo effect or anything like that if I go with the 2X12 (especially at lower volumes)?
Last edited by stevem326 at Nov 22, 2008,
what you could do is get a recto preamp and a 20/20 poweramp as well as a 1x12 with a greenback 25w which will be much quieter at high levels. Attenuators lose too much tone..if you find all that is still too loud you could use a volume pedal in your fx loop (if that lot doesnt have a master volume).

You dont need 2x12 the advantage is more for live, because the amp has more presence its easier to hear yourself.
Last edited by Mezzo4te at Nov 23, 2008,
Here's what I do with my Bogner:
Put it on stand by (the pre-amp still works) and connect the FX Send to a G-Major and the FX-send on the G-Major into the FX return of a Marshall VS65 combo.
I use the G-Major to quiet down the tone enough so I can crank the Bogners pre-amp volume. And it adds some effects if needed of course. I use the Marshall's FX loop volume as the master volume knob.

The sound is quite amazing and that at a low volume. I use the Weber MASS only as a load box in case I accidentally switch the amp on completely. And I also don't have the space to put a full blown cabinet in my bedroom.
Try it, it's worth it
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at Nov 23, 2008,
Please invest in some kind of modeling or something to get the sound of the mesa in a smaller package and spare the rest of us gigging musicians the pain of knowing we can't readily afford a Duel Rec to play in front of a crowd while you're hoarding one in your bedroom. lol.

Just messing with ya, but yeah, I'd go with something a little less. A Dual Rec for personal practice use only is like lighting a cigarette with a scud missle. Pure Overkill.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Page 1 of 2