There are plenty of threads of how bands/artists "steal" riffs and such off one another, but have you had a top-flight (or thereabouts) musician "steal" a riff off YOU?

I've actually experienced 2 instances myself. One of my friend's old bands wrote a breakdown and about a year later, appeared in Kreator's Enemy of God album (i think it was the song Dystopia) , more or less an exact copy my friend wrote year ago.

and now more recently, I've had one of mine "stolen" by none other than the great Jeff Loomis , off his new solo album "New Order Phase". It's in the song "Opulent Maelstrom" around 2:10 - 2:18 (without the twiddly runs). I know its a simple riff, but its almost exactly how I wrote mine about 2-3 months ago.

Well, i felt quite annoyed, but pleased that someone with skill actually put the riff to good use

anyway, have any of you had anything similar happen to one of your riffs?
Yea. Some stupid band called "Deep Purple" stole one of my riffs. I hear it every time I got to guitar center, it's ridiculous.

Btw, Jeff Loomis obviously doesn't need YOUR riffs. He came up with it himself
Yes. Damn Led Zeppelin stole the entirety of Stairway to Heaven off me, those dicks.

Quote by SeveralSpecies

Nor would Kreator need his friend's band's breakdown.
Shocking, a breakdown that is more or less similar!

Seriously though, every time I play an original riff in front of others they say it reminds them of a song they know but can't put their finger on.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Yea. Some stupid band called "Deep Purple" stole one of my riffs. I hear it every time I got to guitar center, it's ridiculous.

haha. awesome.
in relation to the thread, yes, i wrote a song a while back on acoustic and my band mates said it was already a song, a week later i couldnt remember it and they couldnt tell me the name. so i lost it >(. same concept i guess lol
heheh i know he didn't need my riff

but it's quite annoying now though that now I've heared the riff in that album, it's really hard not to steal my own riff back off him haha.
Actually its the other way around for me. Every time I think of some awesome riff for once in my life it turn's out it was already done by someone else
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
LOL someone stole a breakdown. They all pretty much sound the same these days anyway. A bunch of zeroes, china cymbal, and half-time drumming.

But umm yeah, the "riff" (if you can call it that) for "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Greenday. I wrote it a few years ago then heard it on the radio.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Breakdowns = open notes(for the most part).

Aint that hard to find similar ones bro. I love deathcore, but breakdowns are starting to get annoying.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Theres some 2 handed tapping solo riff in Instrumentality by Planet X which is almost identical to something that I use. I've never listened to them before and when I heard it I was like holy crap. Same effects and everything haha.

Oh, and somebody totally stole my Straight outta Compton song.
Last edited by neojazzical at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Shocking, a breakdown that is more or less similar!

Seriously though, every time I play an original riff in front of others they say it reminds them of a song they know but can't put their finger on.

that means you're uncreative
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
I wouldn't really call it "stealing" per say...
There's a pretty good chance that every riff you've come up has been done at some point or another before, especially if it involves power chords.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Yeah I made a riff that goes like
D44444444--------------77777777
A 22222222555555555555555577777777
E--------------33333333------------55555555
And my friends band stole it >
It was so original too
Holly Grail-Hunters & Collectors = More than a feeling-Boston

All Summer Long-Kid Rock = Sweet home Alabama-Lynard Skynyrd/Warewolfs of London-Warren Zevon

Don't Hold Back-The PotBellez = The Wall-Pink Floyd
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by gunners fan
Holly Grail-Hunters & Collectors = More than a feeling-Boston

All Summer Long-Kid Rock = Sweet home Alabama-Lynard Skynyrd/Warewolfs of London-Warren Zevon

Don't Hold Back-The PotBellez = The Wall-Pink Floyd

god dammit, there's quoting, then there's plagiarism. you ****ing dumbass
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I wouldn't really call it "stealing" per say...
There's a pretty good chance that every riff you've come up has been done at some point or another before, especially if it involves power chords.

yeah, that's why I made the special effort of putting it in quotes. But it does beg the question, are we actually running out of stuff to play on guitar thats 100% original?

people might start playing guitar with their faces in 10 years time in a quest to be "original"

EDIT: about the whole breakdowns, i don't listen to that many -core bands or whatever you want to call them, so im not to familiar with similarites, but when he showed me the breakdown, then the song, it was pretty much the same thing!
Last edited by ascendancy2 at Nov 20, 2008,
Chuck Berry stole Johnny B Goode from me when I travelled back in time and played it at my parents school dance.
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
Chuck Berry stole Johnny B Goode from me when I travelled back in time and played it at my parents school dance.

What would we do without that flux capacitor..
Blues Power
Metallica stole over 8 minuets of this gigantic riff i made..
I think they named it "Master of Puppets" or something like that
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar

Lol, Back to the Future is awesome!