hey,

down at my local music shop there is a squire affinity series 5 string jazz on the wall.
they have it priced at $250 USD. i've been kinda itching for a five string lately and i love my fender jazz. love the tone and the feel. think its worth it to spend 250 on it just to have a five string. it wouldn't be my main bass.

also. for christmas i've already asked for ashdown Mag 1x15 cab to add to my set up. which runs at $230. and the extra $20 wouldnt be a big deal at all.

so... here's my question.

cab

or

bass

thanks.
I play bass!
Some of the Affinity's are terrible peices of crap, some are not to bad, so try it out. And if you scrounged up a few more dollars your in used MIM territory.
Very tough call, very tough. I owned an Affinity and thought it was a nice piece - even strung it BEAD before I gave it to the homeless (how I love saying that).

But, that said, you already own a superior instrument. I think you'd get a bit more use out of the extra cab - but tell me, do you plan on using it that often? Wanting/needing aside, which would you USE more?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Depends on which one you need more. I know that sounds like a cop out answer, so let me elaborate.

If you want the 5-string just to have one, that's all well and good - I do too, to be honest. But it doesn't sound like you really need one for what you play, the way you talk about it. The extension on your cab, on the other hand, is an upgrade for sure - fill out your sound whether you're using a 4-string or a 5-string, or a 12-string.

Also, there's the fact that, since you'd be buying an Affinity, if you decided you liked and wanted to explore playing with a 5-string, you'd have to upgrade from there, and so you'd end up losing money in the end.

My guess is you're going to want to go with the cab, but that's just from what I've gathered of your situation. Find out if you want to actually explore using a 5-string before you commit to buying one, and if you do, get something better than an Affinity.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
The Squier Vintage Modified 5 stringers are ok, if you can tolerate the neck (It is a little wide, and has a strange fake ebony finish)...and they are better than the affinitys. Affinity instruments are meant to beginners, as a starter bass...I definitley don't reccomend buying one for $250...thats a ripoff.
I think the amp would improve your sound a lot more. Speaking from experience, if you get a cheap fiver you'll probably just end up using it to play around with and you'll end up keeping the jazz for pretty much all of your 'serious' use, even if the Affinity is decent for it's price, the jazz easily trumps it. I see this as a conflict between widening your tonal range and your tone's quality, I'd rather invest in getting my sound right before starting any other ventures, just my thoughts.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian