hey guys.. need some help here
well its time to change the strings on my ovation and i was told that the stock strings are 12 gauge.. now if i change to a light gauge do i have to do anything witht eh truss rod? i had my teacher change the action cuz im too scared to play with teh truss rod
if i do.. ill jst get 12 gauge... and good string you reccommend for an ovation?
i love elixers on my electric.. but those are 9 gauge

Rig:
Ibanez GAX 50
Ibanez S 470
Amp:
Ibanez IBZ10G
Effects:
Korg ToneWorks AX3000G Signal Processor
Boss RC-20XL LoopStation
Rocktron Banshee 2
WishList:
Sustainiac Stealth Pro
You should be fine with .11s, especially on an Ovation. If you like the Elixirs on your electric, then try the Elixir nano-web lights.

I doubt if you'll experience any adverse set-up issues with the slightly lighter strings, but if you do, a very minor adjustment will cure it. I would also venture to say that you will actually get a better tone with the lighter strings, since the top will be free to resonate better with less pull on it.
Quote by maxtheaxe
I would also venture to say that you will actually get a better tone with the lighter strings, since the top will be free to resonate better with less pull on it.

That's actually a bit backwards. With a lighter gauge string, there is less vibrating string energy imparted to the soundboard, thereby lowering the volume, and dampening down the tone. It's for this reason that people are warned against putting electric strings on an acoustic. There just isn't enough energy available to drive the soundboard sufficiently. .012's are considered lights, while .011's are extra lights. .012's should be used since the guitar has been accustomed to them for this length of time. If bigger tone is desierd, or more volume, then if anything go up in size to .013's, not down. Just be ready for sore fingers until you get used to them.
Quote by powerkid89
hey guys.. need some help here
well its time to change the strings on my ovation and i was told that the stock strings are 12 gauge.. now if i change to a light gauge do i have to do anything witht eh truss rod? i had my teacher change the action cuz im too scared to play with teh truss rod
if i do.. ill jst get 12 gauge... and good string you reccommend for an ovation?
i love elixers on my electric.. but those are 9 gauge

the Kerly Earthtone 12's are the absolute best. I have them on my Ovation Legend and they keep their tone a long time and don't feel "plasticy" like coated strings

www.kerlymusic.com
I put Elixirs on my ovation but I found them to be too ligh sounding. I like the DR's phosphurus bronze- they help with the deeper tone I like. But yeah if you like Elixirs go wit the nanowebs. They do play great, expecially matched with an ovation- very smooth.