Hiya,

been looking into telecasters, and some helpful guys on UG suggested I look into Japanese reissues. They are very rare in the US and are insanely overpriced when compared with those in the UK for example. I saw one posted for 450 pounds, so around 675 dollars, as compared to US listed guitars at over a grand.

What I'm thinking of doing now is to purchase a tele from overseas, hopefully find one in the 600-700 dollar range and pay extra for the shipping. Thing I need help with is to find a seller that ships internationally. The company I found doesn't ship their larger products to the US (WTF!!!!!). Wrecked my day when I read their shipping policy :\

For any of the lucky guys living in the UK or Europe and are interested - 62 Vintage Telecaster Reissue (Japanese)

Anyways, if you guys know any links to non US guitar stores with these sweet 62 Tele Jap Reissues, please do share. I also tried looking up japanese sites...but that was a fiasco LOL.
Most sellers can't export/import. Only the prime distributor for a brand is (legally) allowed to import and export, and prime distributors won't sell direct, so that's not even an option.

The exception is a few brands allow mass importing/exporting, but only in cases where you'll have to pay additional import fees. Not to mention the cost of shipping an item like a guitar internationally can be very high and even if they can do it, many shops will refuse to anyway because of the problems it causes with certain taxes in some countries and insurance issues.

Your only real bet would be to buy used, but if you were doing that you'd be best off buying a used one in your country anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Oh I didn't know that. I don't mind used, however, like I mentioned, the teles available in the US are overpriced so I haven't found one to my liking and in my price range. Sucks being poor :]

OH WAIT! my sister is in the UK right now!... >:]
Then she can buy one for you. If she buys it and declares it as a gift then she should be able to bring it back to you without paying any extra import fees. The only problem is sometimes customs in both the US and UK will kick up a fuss if someone tries to carry back a large black case, but so long as she doesn't look too suspicious and doesn't make any sudden movements...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then she can buy one for you. If she buys it and declares it as a gift then she should be able to bring it back to you without paying any extra import fees. The only problem is sometimes customs in both the US and UK will kick up a fuss if someone tries to carry back a large black case, but so long as she doesn't look too suspicious and doesn't make any sudden movements...

Wrong, the maximum value that can be declared as a "gift" is £18 regardless, anything over that is subject to the usual tax and duties.

For the OP: As a rough guide for NON-EU countries (I buy a lot of sh*t from overseas) expect 25% - 30% to added as tax and fees if sending stuff by mail / courier etc, around 25% if bringing it in by hand. Don't forget that whatever method of payment you use, you will not get the headline exchange rate but the rate set by Paypal, credit card company etc.

Best bet?? Look at buying in from Europe, no import duty into the UK

SH
Last edited by SmellyHarold at Nov 21, 2008,
hi thanks for the replies guys. But I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying. I'm trying to get a guitar sold in the UK to the US. My sister will take it as carry on (I'm getting mixed answers as to if this is allowed anymore so clarification here would help). I checked around and there doesn't seem to be export fees in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong, or if there are taxes I haven't found). So will I have to only worry about US import duties? Also will the pressure and heat changes affect the guitar at all? Not only on the plane but also when she gets down to the ground. I don't know if this is a reasonable fear, but I don't want any avoidable damage to occur.

Of course, I'm still in my planning stages so if there is just too much hassle I'll look at other guitars...