Have you ever said, heard, or been told something that made you realize or feel like you're old?

Last Christmas, I got a pair of pants from my aunt and I thanked her. I don't remember exactly what she said but it was something to the effect of me being a 'grown man'. And that phrase 'grown man' just hit me hard. I'm 19 now; was 18 at the time. After hearing that, I realized I wasn't a kid anymore. I realized I was an adult. I always wondered what a midlife crisis would feel like; and I really believed I had one that day even though I was only 18.

Has anyone else felt that before?
The first time I bought size 8 in women's clothes instead of size 14 in kids.
XIAOXI
Nope, still 15. WOOT WOOT WOOT!
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by drunkinkoala
That's not a mid life crisis at all, it's like a quarter life crisis.

Is that even a thing?
Quote by metalderek
Have you ever said, heard, or been told something that made you realize or feel like you're old?

Last Christmas, I got a pair of pants from my aunt and I thanked her. I don't remember exactly what she said but it was something to the effect of me being a 'grown man'. And that phrase 'grown man' just hit me hard. I'm 19 now; was 18 at the time. After hearing that, I realized I wasn't a kid anymore. I realized I was an adult. I always wondered what a midlife crisis would feel like; and I really believed I had one that day even though I was only 18.

Has anyone else felt that before?

Lack of motivation, striving for goals, overcoming personal boundaries. Those things cause that type of "empty feeling". So stop dicking around with life and do what you want with it. AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, SURFING ON MESSAGE BOARDS OR WATCHING TV MORE THAN A HOUR A DAY.
Last edited by 1337void at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by drunkinkoala
That's not a mid life crisis at all, it's like a quarter life crisis.

More like a fifth. I don't think people normally die at 72.
Quote by Avedas
More like a fifth. I don't think people normally die at 72.

I was doing a rough estimate
Quote by metalderek
Is that even a thing?

Apparently.
I know exactly what you mean actually.
It's not a mid-life crisis cause obviously you haven't hit that point yet.
But it's really just that, growing up.

After my friend passed away, I remember getting that feeling almost every other day.
Quote by Mad Marius

Yeah, I think I had my first mid-life crisis when I was 14.

Could've happened.

Quote by 1337void

Lack of motivation, striving for goals, overcoming personal boundaries. Those things cause that type of "empty feeling". So stop dicking around with life and do what you want with it. AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, SURFING ON MESSAGE BOARDS OR WATCHING TV MORE THAN A HOUR A DAY

Makes sense. I just work full time; and when I'm not I'm just at home. Maybe it's the lack of not having as much free time as I used to.
I feel old occasionally...

well not so much old, but like I'm running out of time

mostly because my sister is only 3 years older than me and she's getting married in 8 months, she's already started a kick ass career and just bought a house.

I know for a fact I won't be there in 3 years time, so it's this mind **** that makes me think I need to hurry up...

Then I realize that I'm 19...out the the average 70-something years that people live these days.

And it hits me. I have 50 ****ing years to do everything I want to do.

Thus I am not old at all. And the world makes sense again
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Next Wednesday I'll be 48 years old, still trying to get another band together just like 30 years ago, have'nt changed much and don't intend to, though I've seen alotta ****. In fact I'm a single Grand father married to my Guitar Amp, Bass and Drums. They sit in my living room and are very well behaved and I don't care about what other people think I should be doing with my life.
ROCK!
19 does genuinely feel a fair bit older than 18.

19 seemed a bigger turning point really.
I had exactly what you had when I was around 18/19, most of my friends (as in all but one) went to uni and I was left pretty much on my own. I was lonely, felt like ****, didnt know what to do with my life etc...Then slowly I started to get more friends after going out abit more and now i've come to FINALLY realise what I want to do with my life and what I want as my career. It takes time, I think we all go through it slightly, just some people more than others, but one day it'll click without you realising it, and then the weeks after you'll be like Ahh! there it is.
meh. John Mayer cries on his birthday cause he gets one year older. he may be a great songwriter but thats just weird
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
i feel old because physically i am old.

im 23, my knees are shot and my liver's about 80
I have awesome hair
the only crisis you should have at 18 is whether to spend your money on drink or on that book that your lecturer told you was essential reading for your course.......
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Uh, I kind of agree with that running out of time thing, I feel like I have to find a band and get heaps good at guitar and **** really quickly before someone else steals my riffs or writes **** in the exact same style as me.

EDIT: Obviously that's not a midlife crisis though. I just thought it was kind of relevant.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Nov 21, 2008,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis

he quarterlife crisis (QLC) is a term applied to the period of life immediately following the major changes of adolescence, usually ranging from the early twenties to the early thirties. The term is named by analogy with mid-life crisis. It is now recognized by many therapists and professionals in the mental health field

well there you go

there is such a thing