Hey everyone, im sort of looking down the route for a new amp, im getting a bit tired of how sparkly my Hot Rod Deluxe is, Its got a great clean channel but I think its just not the type of cleans I want in my head... so im going to sell it for a new amp.

THE KIND OF MUSIC I PLAY
Noisy Post-Rock, the sort of stuff that needs tons of headroom, not too bothered about gain channels, ive got a Big Muff and Fulldrive for that.

IT NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO BE CLEAN AT MEDIUM/LARGE SIZE GIGS!

Think bands like:
Explosions in the Sky (They use Fender Twins, but they are too sparkly for me)
Mogwai (They use JCM800's, growly clean channel with plenty of headroom)
Trail of Dead (No idea what amps they use)
The Mars Volta (I know Omar uses Rockerverbs and thunderverbs)

So basically, a good clean channel thats quite dark, but still has presence and has plenty of headroom.

MY BUDGET
£800-900 TOPS

I've been looking at a few amps for a darker tone:

JCM900 2x12 100 WATT combo - I can get one of these for £150 second hand from a friend who is selling.

JCM800 Half-Stack - Like I said above, Mogwai use these and they sound pretty great, lots of nice cleans but less sparkle.

Mesa Boogie Trem-O-Verb
- Someone might be interested in trading my Hot Rod + Cash for one of these

Orange Rocker 30 - Not sure, but its got that british voicing that seems to be quite apparent in the style im after

Fender '65 Twin Reverb Re-Issue

Any input or other reccomendations is more than welcome, Im all ears.
Orange AD30 might be a better choice than the Rocker....sadly just over the top end of the budget though.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ad-30-tc/10234
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If I can get a good price selling my Hot Rod + Savings im sure I could stretch to £1000, that being said, I can easily go and try one of those out as there is an orange dealer about 40 mins away from me.
Quote by ClementWave
If I can get a good price selling my Hot Rod + Savings im sure I could stretch to £1000, that being said, I can easily go and try one of those out as there is an orange dealer about 40 mins away from me.

Sure if there's a dealer near you, I'm sure you could haggle the price down to £900, especially if you pay cash
Quote by ClementWave

It's definitely worth trying out then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i use a mea f-30 for post rock and it works out pretty well. im not doing any big gigs though so you might want to look into an f50 or f100. it has a good dirty channel too in you wanted to cut back your pedal board.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Cornford Roadhouse 30 or 50.
Seriously nice - both within your budget.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Orange or the JCM 800.

I wish I has a JCM 800.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by jimbob78
Cornford Roadhouse 30 or 50.
Seriously nice - both within your budget.

Very interesting - the 50w 2x12 combo is £949, which is within limits of the budget - there is also a place near me that stocks these, may well be worth a try.
You can seriously nab a JCM 900 combo for £150. Hell, I would buy it off him and sell for profit if you dont like it. (Not trying to be a dick or anything....but hes getting the sh!tty end of the stick in that deal) This way you can put that, your current budget and the cash from your Hot Rod together and get an even better amp.

Grab that 900 now man, regardless.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You can seriously nab a JCM 900 combo for £150. Hell, I would buy it off him and sell for profit if you dont like it. (Not trying to be a dick or anything....but hes getting the sh!tty end of the stick in that deal) This way you can put that, your current budget and the cash from your Hot Rod together and get an even better amp.

Grab that 900 now man, regardless.

+1

I didn't even spot that!

If you don't like it you could sell it for £250 with no effort whatsoever.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Probably even more. Hell, if he doesnt mind splitting shipping to New Jersey I'd think about picking it up!

if i had teh monies
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The budget includes the money from the Hot Rod... so theoretically my budget is about £500-600 right now... 900-1000 when the Hot Rod gets shifted.

Reckon I should go for the JCM900? Apparently it needs re-tubing.
Retubing will be like £50 or £60. Who knows, depending on how often it was used and how loud it was cranked, it may not really need em. But it could never hurt. I say jump on that deal now man. You might like it. I havent played a 900, just heard em, but they got that classic EL34 crunch with some decent cleans. Some say they are sterile, but they can sound pretty good.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
fender blues deluxe is loud and clean
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Well im going to go and try out the JCM900 at some point, along with the AD30TC and The Cornford Roadhouse 50 and maybe a JCM800 superbass if i can find one.
Good idea. I'll mention that I traded in my jcm900 combo for the Cornford Roadhouse 30, which blows it away. So dynamic and fat sounding. Just an amazing amp.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by LaidBack
Probably even more. Hell, if he doesnt mind splitting shipping to New Jersey I'd think about picking it up!

if i had teh monies

jersey represent

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I know it's alittle past your budget, but I find that the fender bassman is dark sounding. I'm sure you've tried one out before though.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
the ORV30's are soooo nice.

do not get the JCM900, terrible amp (especially the combos), nothing like the 800

JCM800 on the other hand, very nice.

a Mesa would definitely not be the sound you're after.

Check out the Sovtek MIG series. really good quality amps, pop up on ebay from time to time. would be well worth taking a look at.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Whats the ORV30?

Yeah I think im gonna be looking at a JCM800, they seem to have nice cleans that aren't too sparkly, I think EL34's is what im gonna be after.
^ Orange RockerVerb 30

i can't recommend the Sovtek MIG50 enough. it's soooooooooo nice.

takes pedals like a beast too. very underrated amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
do not get the JCM900, terrible amp (especially the combos), nothing like the 800

the 900 doesn't sound liek the 800?

why not? it's made by marshall therefore it must sound exactly the same.

get the 900, fit it with EL34s if you don't like it, sell it on at a profit. if you can't find a buyer at profit I'll buy it off you at cost (not really I'm just THAT confident that you'll be able to do it).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Im definitely gonna look out for one on ebay. How much headroom does it have? I noticed its only a single channel.
the "H" series (MIG100H, MIG50H) have more distortion/less headroom.

they do start to break up, i think at around 6ish, but don't quote me on that. there should be a couple videos on youtube.

the MIG100 (100w obviously) would have more headroom, you might consider that. i think there are also 60 and 30 watt versions, but the 50 and 100 are most common.

the most expensive i've ever seen an MIG100H go for on ebay was about $850USD.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
^ Orange RockerVerb 30

i can't recommend the Sovtek MIG50 enough. it's soooooooooo nice.

takes pedals like a beast too. very underrated amp.

im fairly sure the smallest rockerverb is 50
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The MIG50 at 50 watts is surely going to be plenty for medium gigs with clean headroom? Not too knowledgeable on single channels.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
im fairly sure the smallest rockerverb is 50

ahhh yes, i think you're right. I'm thinking of the Orange ROCKER 30. no verb. thanks!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by ClementWave
The MIG50 at 50 watts is surely going to be plenty for medium gigs with clean headroom? Not too knowledgeable on single channels.

shouldn't have a problem unless you want pristine cleans and you aren't being mic'd.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Matamp

http://www.matamp.co.uk/KingStreetMajor.htm

Or a used Hiwatt DR504 or a Lead 50
I've seen that particular head list for around 1000 pounds. The GT series runs around 11-1300 pounds.
Used Rockerverb 50 perhaps? Quite dark voiced, with the cleans you're after =]

Listen to some of jimplaysguitar's soundclips. He's got one and is into similar post rock music
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Also interested in a similar amp, does anyone know which Cornfords might be better for post-rock?
I'd agree with all the current recommendations, but are there any Vox AC30/50s in that range which are handwired? I've played an AC50, and it would make a great base for noise/post rock type stuff to build on.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
if you really are going to do all of your drive through pedals, and want something darker with a lot of headroom start looking at some tube bass amps. Might just do the trick for you. Traynor and Peavey make lower wattage ones (only around 200 tube watts ) that are a lot cheaper than a bassman or anything ampeg.