I know this question has probably been asked 1000 times, but I searched it in the Thread Search Engine and I couldn't find anything...
But anyways, can you guys give me some recommendations on good cables that don't cost a ton. I was thinking about buying some Livewire's but I heard they aren't worth it. I play a Fender Fat Strat and rock music (is that matters or not, i don't know...). I am thinking about geting some 20ft ones, because I heard you shouldn't go any longer than that....

Oh yeah, it also helps if you can teel me the difference between "balanced" and "unbalanced" cables because idk what the hell that means.
Last edited by alex0203 at Nov 21, 2008,
id say that or monster
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

+1 to the monster
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
+1 to the monster

+2
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Monster = overpriced

I've found that for the best quality to price ratio Planet Waves is hard to beat.
Monster Cables are overpriced but very good. I have a couple I scored from a freind and I love them. Planet Waves are good too I have one that came with a guitar I bought. I bought some cables at Guitar Center that are cloth covered with gold ends that I really like too. I think they were no name cables or seconds from one of the better cable makers. Most cables are OK for practice but if your gigging or recording you'll want a better cable. I find the cheap cables were very noisy the more insulation and the type of insulation the quieter they are. Vinyl is kind of hard and transfers sound to the guitar and you'll hear it banging around on the floor thru your amp. A good soft rubber is much better at deadening the noise of it banging around.

A lot of people neglect getting good cables and there is a big difference in sound from a cheap cable to a good one. I test my cables with an OHM meter and you would be surprised how much resistance the cheap cable have. Low resistance means better sound go with the better cable for sure. Keep the ends clean as well, oxidation can really make a difference too. Gold plated ones do not corrode so that's why they are prefered and of course more expensive.

All in all your going to have pay for a good cable.
I always buy cables with a 90 degree on one end. They make more sense if you have the jack on the edge of the guitar. You can play on the couch and not screw up the cable, also when you put it through your strap it goes straight up along side of the guitar. Much better for most guitars except strats.
Look for a cable with quality soft rubber and sturdy jacket around the plug that allows some flexing. At the lengths of a typical guitar cable, its DC resistance is absolutely irrelevant and its capacitance (reactance) is the dominant characteristic that determines how it affects your tone. In fact, the cable is like a second tone control and if its capacitance is "high enough," it will suck treble frequencies to ground mellowing your tone. You should look for the cable with the lowest capacitance per foot.

[edit] Cable length also affects your tone (moves the resonant peak up or down the frequency spectrum), but its perceptible contribution is dependent on your guitars impedance (pots values - and how they're dialed, pickups), and the amps input impedance. Typically, short cables = stratty, (very?) long cables = "humbuckerish" tone.
Last edited by KingStill at Nov 21, 2008,
I recently bent the end of my monster cable, and it shorted out on me, (my fault, not the cables) so I bought a non name brand cable because everyone said there was no difference, and they were wrong. There is a fairly significant tone loss, and worse of all, the new cable is NOISY. I'm going to buy a real cable once I go home for Thanksgiving, because the music shop here doesn't carry monster "because we can't hear a difference" as the shop owner said.

This is why people who aren't audiophiles shouldn't make decisions on what audio cables to carry.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Ya if im not mistaken the Monster cables also have a lifetime warrenty. So if it messes up they'll send you a new one. +3 on the Monster
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Mogami

best cables in the world...you get +1000 for that
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Mogami

Mogami cables are simply the best.

Monster cables for the most part are overpriced pieces of ****. Go Mogami. A lot of monster cables induce background noice etc, mogami are super clean.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I either use Dimarzio, Mogami, or Rapco cables for me it depends on what i'm using it for. i only use dimarzio and mogami cables playing since they don't make any unwanted noise but for home practice or band practice i use Rapco Cables.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
The plus to Monster is when they break, there dealers replace them no questions asked. Otherwise, I really like Planet Waves, but they don't lock as well after about a year or so of use, and the switch is too noisy to be used in a gig setting. They are very nice though, and the plugs can be opened up to be fixed, unlike most higher end cables like Monster and Mogami. I have also used George Ls and think they are very nice, but pricey despite being a bit quieter than Monster and Mogami. The Planet Waves probably are the noisiest of the four, but are still better than any no name cable.

I also use Live Wire cables. They are really cheap, but I don't think they are made all that well despite being nice when they work. One I had to resolder it at the jack twice, and another had something break in the cable itself. I think they have a lifetime warranty, but I never got a chance to really test it.
I just bought a Snap Jack cable. The ends of the cable snap(break away) if there is too much pressure on it. If you have ever gone too far with your guitar and knocked your amp over you know how cool this cable would or could be. You can also leave the end in your amp and or guitar and the cable "snaps" back on. No wear on the jacks if you want to leave it in the guitar. It also claims to reduce some of the hum or crackling (I never plug my guitar in with the amp on anyways) when you plug in. I have a Strat so I got the 90 degree end for mine. So far so good. Oh yeah, great sound too.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by cranium2001
You can also leave the end in your amp and or guitar and the cable "snaps" back on. No wear on the jacks if you want to leave it in the guitar.
Probably not a good idea to do this with active pups, though. Wears the battery down.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Get the planet waves with the cutoff switch in the cable jack. Great quality, souderless connections so if the ends wear out you just unscrew it, cut it off and screw the end back on, and with the cutoff you can keep your amp warm and unplug your guitar without popping the speaker. Great stuff
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Get the planet waves with the cutoff switch in the cable jack. Great quality, souderless connections so if the ends wear out you just unscrew it, cut it off and screw the end back on, and with the cutoff you can keep your amp warm and unplug your guitar without popping the speaker. Great stuff

+1. Love my Planet Waves.
http://www.planetwaves.com/Pcablesdetails.aspx?ID=1

Dad picked a cable from them for me when my first one broke. These things are tough. I tend to run over the cable with my chair, which is what killed my first cable, and it still runs fine
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Mogami

I'm so disappointed that it took until post #11 to see Mogami, but I award you my eternal love for mentioning it. They are the best cables I sell at guitar center. The difference in tone between a mogami gold cable and a monster standard cable is ridiculous. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself.

Actually, during my training in accessories for guitar center, everyone told me to upgrade to Mogami immediately. I bought one of them, and tried it out. The next day, I bought three more to complete my rig and effects loop.

I also have founded a group: Mogami cable users. Join here!!!
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Planet Waves work well for me, and there is a lifetime guarantee on them or something...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Planet Waves work well for me, and there is a lifetime guarantee on them or something...

Indeed there is, but that's also the case with just about every cable I've come across. The only cable I can think of that isn't warrantied is the ROC186 cheap-ass cable that comes with no packaging whatsoever.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
i may be wrong, but i heard that dimarzio cables are great quality for the price on some of em. ive never had the chance to try any of their cables, but ive heard good things. correct me if im wrong though
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Quote by CJRocker
I also use Live Wire cables. They are really cheap, but I don't think they are made all that well despite being nice when they work. One I had to resolder it at the jack twice, and another had something break in the cable itself. I think they have a lifetime warranty, but I never got a chance to really test it.

I've actually used the warranty and they swapped mine no problems.
are you in the UK?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for your suggestions! I finally went out and bought some. I decided to use LiveWire cables for practice, and Mogami for live stuff. Okay thanks guys!
I made a thread just like this. I ended up getting a LiveWire, they're great, lifetime warranty. If you don't mind spending some money on it, I'd go for a Monster.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by punk_rocker101
i may be wrong, but i heard that dimarzio cables are great quality for the price on some of em. ive never had the chance to try any of their cables, but ive heard good things. correct me if im wrong though

Agreed. Im no expert but my DiMarzio cable works great and looks/feels very well made to me. Ive also had no problems with the new cabling (Tone Master i think is what the new line is called) from Fender.
Quote by alex0203
Thanks for your suggestions! I finally went out and bought some. I decided to use LiveWire cables for practice, and Mogami for live stuff. Okay thanks guys!

Well done. You win.
Logan

Semi old thread, but I have the snap jack and I personally love it. All of my guitars have a tip, Changing guitars is a snap with no feedback

Construction is good and heavy, sound is fantastic. I like em better than the planetwaves(which I have)