So im having this little competition with a friend to see who can make the best self comps, now its just a fun thing, nothing serious. I need to know how i can record decent sounding riffs straight from the guitar into the comp and then add drums and bass.
I dont have a mic and im not going to buy one for this.
I have Acid Pro 6 for software, its sounding crap in that.
Any suggestions ?
Quote by tobysaurus
I got an erection once, it was lovely.

p.s. i've just started using fruity loops studio 7, it works pretty good i think, but i guess im no expert
You want to just record riffs straight into it?

The easist way would be to go straight from your amp to your pc (assuming you have an amp with audio out or a headphone jack) for this you just need an audio cable that has a 3.5mm audio jack on one end (same as headphone jack) and a TRS (audio jack, same as the end of your guitar lead) connector on the other. Alternativly just buy an audio cable with two 3.55mm audio jacks on both ends and buy a TRS adapter that slots on top of the 3.55mm jack, plug this into your microphone slot and use your software to record it.

You can also do this from an FX pedel replaceing the cable that goes from the FX pedel to your amp with the above mentioned cable (3.55mm jack to TRS) and plug it into your pc.

Thats the most simple and cheapest way of doing it although it may not be of the highest quality it will be an ok quality.

Alternativly you can buy a USB or Firewire device designed to input audio at high quality. http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/maudio-fast-track-usb-p-244.html
is an example of once such usb device.

Happy recording

But if your not to worried about having high quality then just getting hold of a 3.55mm to TRS cable will do the trick
I have the 3.55mm jack converter, so i can put the lead from my pedal straight into my comp ?..
yea if i get the hang of any of these softwares i can always 'buy' them
Quote by tobysaurus

as long as your pedel has its own power supply i dont see why not, you can just go guitar>pedel>pc. And through whatever program you should be able to record
its not working...i connected the guitar through the pedal into the comp. I cant hear anything, and yes the microphone is not muted.
Quote by tobysaurus

ok thats fixed. small glitch. but i can hear myself from only one speaker dude. lol, just the left one.
Quote by tobysaurus

Uh... hmm, you check that your channel isnt set to mono, or that your sound slider isnt set to the left rather than center.
Last edited by Getpsycho at Nov 21, 2008,
its not. weird.
Quote by tobysaurus

Well... quite a pickle really... My guess is something along the line is set to either, only have sound coming from the left... or set to mono.

I assume your using a windows based pc. Check your volume controls and go to options>properties then under "mixer device" select your input (usually has name of your soundcard then says INPUT... or itll say microphone or something along those lines) then it'll show your input channels, just check those balance sliders arent left or right but in the center... if thats not it then im not sure whats happening lol
It was a problem with the sound card, figured that out. The main reason i wanted a software was to put in some drums, and im not being able to, in any program!
Quote by tobysaurus

its too complicated!!
Quote by tobysaurus

lol, good job on figuring it out... but now you want... a virtual drum machine?

Two ways of putting in drums, get some pre recorded loops from various sites, just google free drum loops... OR get a virtual drum machine software...

Technically... Guitar Pro can do this, if you have it, although they will only be midi drums. if you create a drum track then just file>export to midi... then drop it onto a track in the audio program. OR create an RSE track and record it directly from soundcard lol... Longs ways round i know.

http://www.ordrumbox.com/ never used it... but its free just came across it.

Sorry i cant be of more help mate, but you'll get there in the end.
thnx man, ill try it with gp5 and then put it all together with audacity.
Quote by tobysaurus

since you only need it for a limited time, you could download Beatcraft trial and use that. Export the beats you make then enter them into the file you are working on.

www.looperman.com also has lots of loops to choose from for free.

Good Luck.
-Ryan