TL;DR is at the bottom.

Hello. I did a little searching around these boards but frankly I doubt anything would turn up that would really help me get where I want to be.

I'm looking for help selecting an amp and maybe a recommendation on whether or not pedals are worth it.

Currently, I've got a crappy practice amp (10 watt) and am desperately looking to upgrade it. I honestly don't know if a tube or SS amp would be better, that's why I'm here.

Anything up to $300 would be reasonable (but I'd prefer to keep it lower) as far as the budget goes. If it's worth getting a more expensive amp now so I don't have to pay more later then I'm all for that.

I mostly play Metal (thrashy stuff) and some hard/alternative rock (grunge, whatever) but I realize it may not be possible to get all of that in one amp at this price range, even though they are (somewhat) musically similar.

Specific artists I'm looking for include early Metallica (most important), Megadeth, Slayer, Nirvana (this is also pretty important to me), Pearl Jam, etc. I was under the impression that to TRULY mimic some of these artists you need some pretty expensive equipment, but the closer I get the better. : )

I took a look at the Roland Cube 30x amp and it SEEMED from the reviews that it might suit my needs. Still, I'm open to any suggestions.

Would it be worth getting an amp that can cover X and Y tones, and then a pedal that could get Z tone? Or are pedals generally not worth it? I've heard mix reviews regarding them so I'm relatively uninformed.

Anyway, I tried to keep this as informative as possible since you guys get a lot of questions each day and the less you have to work to help me the better.

I greatly appreciate any insight and look forward to your responses. If there's anything else you need to know just ask.

P.S. One quick last question, will I notice a large difference between my crappy 10 watt amp and one I'd purchase after this? I'm assuming so.

TD;DR:

Budget: <$300 (preferably around $250 but can even do higher than $300 if it'll overall be less expensive)

Tones: early Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Slayer, Megadeth (in order of preference, I'm looking for thrashy metal/grunge kinda stuff)

I looked at the Roland Cube 30x, would this be nice or is there something else you guys could recommend?

Are pedals worth anything? Could they be used to get a tone I couldn't get with one of the amps you suggest?
Last edited by kegannw at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by stephen_rettie
no sorry, granted you have paragraphed it but no, cant take the time to read that,
summarise that beast

hahaha, my bad. let me write up a quick TL;DR portion at the bottom. : )
at this stage in your guitar playing career im gonna say you probably dont wanna drop a whole lot of money into an awesome tube amp cause you dont know exactly what you want, thats why id recommend just getting a 15w vypyr or something, gives you lots of effects and amp models to choose from and is cheap.
Quote by stephen_rettie
at this stage in your guitar playing career im gonna say you probably dont wanna drop a whole lot of money into an awesome tube amp cause you dont know exactly what you want, thats why id recommend just getting a 15w vypyr or something, gives you lots of effects and amp models to choose from and is cheap.

I doubt I'll ever know exactly what I want. : ) I do know that I'll be playing the harsher stuff for a long time, though. I know I don't need to spend a huge amount on some great amp that I would not use to its full potential for some time to come, but I CAN say that I'd like to get something that'll last me a good long while.

I'm pretty serious about playing; it's going to be my career (music, that is), if that helps.
I have recently bought a 30w amp so I reckon I was in the exact same boat as you.

I tried the Vypyr, Cube and Vox Valvetronix (all 30w versions)

If you like metal (and it seems that EVERY fcuker on UG does) then I would definately go with the Peavey Vypyr. It screams metal when you play through it, and although the other two can definately handle a metal sound, the Vypyr is better equipped and has more functionality. You should be able to pick one up for less thatn $300 as you can get them here for £150-ish.

I bought the Vox myself cos it suits my style of play, personally I think metal is absolute turd.

go forth and purchase..
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
That's actually a nice option, as it's only $200 here (according to Guitar Center). Can anyone else second his suggestion or have a new one?
Well depending on where "here" is, you could get a used PV VK112 for $250. (It's a love/hate amp but try one if you haven't and make your own judgment). It's got enough gain on tap for the bands you listed. I liked the Vypyr, but there are other options at that price point if you look used.
Quote by gregs1020
Well depending on where "here" is, you could get a used PV VK112 for $250. (It's a love/hate amp but try one if you haven't and make your own judgment). It's got enough gain on tap for the bands you listed. I liked the Vypyr, but there are other options at that price point if you look used.

"Here" is the Bay Area in California. East Bay, near Berkeley. Sorry for not including that information in my original post.
How much is that Randall RG50TC? I would recommend that, but I think it's $100 out of your price range.
Quote by M_W
How much is that Randall RG50TC? I would recommend that, but I think it's $100 out of your price range.

Nearly $600, which is way out of my price range : /