Hi there, I bought an ESP horizon FR-II a short while ago. The pickups are,

NECK PICKUP : Seymour Duncan SH-1n
BRIDGE PICKUP : Seymour Duncan TB-4

The bridge pickup is good. The neck pickup sounds good too but it doesnt suite my taste. It doesn't have a high out-put, and i find it too bright. the guitar is Alder so its already naturally bright.

I'm completely new to the world of pickups, as i've just used stock pickups on my other guitars. I'm after a neck pickup that will darken the guitars sound, and give me nice warm and deep lead sounds as well as cleans. Needs to be high output, suitable for shredding as i always use the neck pickup for shred.

If pickups dont have the ability to darken the sound by much I can always sell the guitar and buy mahogony. I do regret buying an alder guitar, but i bought it because it was a really good deal. I can sell it easily if I need to.

Any advice would be great! I just need some suggestions to get me started.
Cheers.
what amp do you have?

if you have a good amp then the Dimarzio Breed is what you are looking for
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
what amp do you have?

if you have a good amp then the Dimarzio Breed is what you are looking for

Yup, I second that!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've read some reviews. It's listed on the dimarzio site as a moderate output pickup (the neck breed i mean). Some of the reviews mention the output, "more than a 59' Duncan but similar in dynamics and overall sensitivity / far less than a super Distortion but a similar tone". Thats referring to the bridge breed however. The neck breed has lower output from reading the dimarzio site.

Do you fellas use them currently? and is the output more then enough for shredding? I like high output when i shred to hide my sloppy playing.
I do believe in it's current form one of the JEM's come with Breeds in em. So obviously, they are more than shreadtastic.

Neck pickups should be lower output, Gives you tonal variation from Neck to Bridge pu's.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by robert_says
I've read some reviews. It's listed on the dimarzio site as a moderate output pickup (the neck breed i mean). Some of the reviews mention the output, "more than a 59' Duncan but similar in dynamics and overall sensitivity / far less than a super Distortion but a similar tone". Thats referring to the bridge breed however. The neck breed has lower output from reading the dimarzio site.

Do you fellas use them currently? and is the output more then enough for shredding? I like high output when i shred to hide my sloppy playing.

The Breed is proabably Dimarzios gutsiest neck pickup, it doesn't need to be as hot as something like an Evo on account of the fuller frequency response, on paper it's outputting less, but as far as the sound goes there's "more" of it. Neck pickups are always listed as moderate output because neck models are always lower output than the equivalent bridge model...the only neck pickups Dimarzio class as high output are ethe D-Activators.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com