It's on Saturday. Should I write down what I want to learn and can play? If possible, I want to learn from this first lesson and not just show him what I can already play. I want to play blues, I know the scale and a few riffs. But from my earlier days, I know some rock songs.

Thanks for the imput
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Bring a guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Quote by Psalm 150:4
What should I do to prepare?

DO A BARREL ROLL

but srsly, just go there and tell your teacher what you expect from the lessons
and I'm sure he'll show you some good stuff to practice
gl
Quote by Joycey
Bring a guitar

This
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
This

+1

Especially on your first lesson. Depending on the teacher you may not deal with songs at all, some teachers focus on theory, some focus on songs, some focus on technique. If you really want to prepare for a lesson, do some practice runs before you go so you'll be warmed up for it. That being said; I've had some lessons where I barely played any guitar and it was all theory based.

If you're really that concerned, do this lesson and then ask the teacher something like "What should I work on for next week?" or "I'm working on this song, mind if I bring it in?" so you and the teacher can both be prepared to gear the next lesson towards something.

good luck!

Edit:
I want to learn from this first lesson and not just show him what I can already play.

It's not a bad idea to show a teacher what you can play, as a (hopefully) more advanced player, they can show you problems with your technique, small timing problems or an easier way to play it.
Last edited by Zofar at Nov 21, 2008,
Agreed my teacher deals with songs. We've learnt 2, not good ones. We are learning Boulveard of Broken Dreams next week. TBH I'd prefer to do a mix of theory and songs.
It's on Saturday. Should I write down what I want to learn and can play? If possible, I want to learn from this first lesson and not just show him what I can already play. I want to play blues, I know the scale and a few riffs. But from my earlier days, I know some rock songs.

Thanks for the imput

Definitely let your teacher know where you stand right now. Also, ask your teacher for his/her email address, that way you can send back and forth tabs and whatnot and ask your teacher questions.
I am new at guitar and theory but im taking lessons once a week and he covers music theory, teaches me chords and some basics, technique, and whatever else i ask, remember your paying him to learn what u want. tell him what you want to learn hes the professional he should know how to get u to that point=]

Good luck