Hey guys.

So, I was switching strings on my acoustic guitar today. When I tried to remove the A string's pin on the bridge, the pin got cut in half. I managed to get half of the pin out, but the other half is stuck in the pinhole with the string. I was wondering:

-How can I get it out?

-Where can I buy a new pin?

-How can I avoid this next time?

Thanks
-Put your hand in the soundhole and push it out from the inside.
-You can buy a new pin in every guitar store.
-Don't pull it out with brute force, be subtle
try reaching in the soundhole and pushing it up

guitarcenter.. they're cheap

be gentle
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Push the string down into the hole in the bridge BEFORE you try to pull the pin out. Most of the time this is all it takes to "break the lock" created by the ball end of the string being wedged up against the bridge plate and the end of the pin that poking out inside the guitar. The pin should then lift out easily with nothing more than your fingers. If you absolutely HAVE to resort to using tools, use a side cutters and grip the pin just below the large round head and lift straight up and out. This way you won't mar up the finish on the pins. Just don't slice it in half in the process.
i had similar problem when i was changing strings. the pin broke in 1/2 and got stuck. i was using pliers(stupid me) to remove it during changing. anyways i took it to the shop and none of the people there could take it out, they tried sticking their fingers in the sound hole, push it out from the inside but it was really stuck. long story short, the luthier had to DRILL it out.
Quote by alexng83
i had similar problem when i was changing strings. the pin broke in 1/2 and got stuck. i was using pliers(stupid me) to remove it during changing. anyways i took it to the shop and none of the people there could take it out, they tried sticking their fingers in the sound hole, push it out from the inside but it was really stuck. long story short, the luthier had to DRILL it out.

Yikes! That should never be necessary. I infer from this that the term "luthier" is loosely applied. No real luthier would resort to this.

It's just wedged; if you can't push it out from underneath, try to dislodge it with a pointy thing...an awl or the point of a compass or something like that...it aint rocket science.