Hey guys~

I've searched the forums already and didn't find a answer so I am going to ask it myself. Next semester I will be attending a local community college to start my music degree! The school offers a music theory class for people who are just starting or never taken music theory ( which is awesome cause this is where i am at) I'd like to know if anyone can recommend me a music theory guitar book that consist of how to read music notation, guitar scales and modes, chord progressions, intervals and all that jazzy stuff. Any info would be amazing!

Finger Pain- I've been warming up before playing a lot more nowadays than I have in the past ( my warmups conists of finger stretching, run through major/minor scales and some of steve vais 10 hour work out in there. But for some reason out of the 4 years I've been playing I am now starting to get this weird stress/strain pain in my index finger. Example- If you make a V with your index and middle finger, it hurts right along the inside of the index finger. It comes and goes, and it's really bringing me down cause I have to stop playing when it happens. Do you all know of what I can do to make this stop? I used to play A LOT of Xbox360 and I also noticed the same pain occuring when playing ( so i stopped taking into consideration that music is way more important than video games haha) Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by Doc Smiley
Hey guys~

I've searched the forums already and didn't find a answer so I am going to ask it myself. Next semester I will be attending a local community college to start my music degree! The school offers a music theory class for people who are just starting or never taken music theory ( which is awesome cause this is where i am at) I'd like to know if anyone can recommend me a music theory guitar book that consist of how to read music notation, guitar scales and modes, chord progressions, intervals and all that jazzy stuff. Any info would be amazing!
Are guitar scales different from piano scales?

Anyway, music theory for dummies and the complete idiots guide to music theory are both great and, judging from their names, very suited to your need .

It sounds like you've jarred or broken your finger. Maybe you should get it checked out by a doctor and get it x-rayed? Sometimes you can jar bones and only realise a couple of days later.
Thanks Demon I will head down to barnes & noble and see what they got. I might go see a doctor if this continues. I am pretty sure I didn't break my finger, cause I can still move it fine and type. The pain only comes when it wants to really, its ****ing weird. I notice it comes when I play xbox/guitar or type for a while. Maybe im just stressing the hell out of it?
I can't help here, haven't heard of or experienced this strain. My guess would be that you are over stretching/playing with bad posture. That's about it. Give playing a rest for a week and see if it comes back.
Quote by Freepower
I can't help here, haven't heard of or experienced this strain. My guess would be that you are over stretching/playing with bad posture. That's about it. Give playing a rest for a week and see if it comes back.

I think you are dead on. I stretch my index finger a lot, especially when typing ( i do not type the proper way, but i am working on that as we speak haha.) As far as posture goes, mine is not so good ( starting to work on that now). Can slouching you back while playing guitar affect what i am feeling in my index finger? I've been pretty much changing my whole technique lately to fit the "proper" way of playing and I have to so its kick some bad habits and made my playing a lot cleaner. If there is a proper way of sitting down while playing I'd like to know. Thank you.