I've been playing guitar for about 13 years now. I suck. I had a 2 1/2 year period where I was dating a woman who wouldn't let me play because she hated the music that I play.

Do you guys think at this point lessons can help me? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'm just hoping that my reason for failure is the fact that I haven't practiced enough and not that I just can't play guitar.
it's a tough place to be, I was more or less in the same position for bass, after years of thoughtless playing, then a few years of not playing at all, I felt really crappy.

If you really think you suck, then go get some lessons. Ask around and find out who gives the most advanced lessons in your area and go to that person. You might have to relearn some basics in a new way, but you're still better off not working with an instructor who normally gives 3 months of lessons to 10 year olds that just picked up guitar.

I went and got some bass lessons from the local bass guru, and while I didn't continue to take them for a real long time, he certainly got me back on the right track.
Of course.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Well now I pick up the guitar and I'm having a bit of trouble playing simple songs like 'master of puppets'.

I'm in need of some serious refresher courses.
It would probably be like starting over which might frustrate you even more and discourage you. Although if you can get passed that it may help. I have never taken a lesson. Self taught for 1 year so far and i still kinda suck but i have periods where my skill greatly increases and then times where it feels like i'm getting no where.

But sure, you can try em out. Our just youtube a bunch of videos.
the thing is dcvlehr, I've never taken a lesson before either.

I remember back in school, during music class you would learn something like the recorder or whatever. They would give you something to practice and before you know it, you were actually good at it within a semester of playing. I've continually noticed myself and other players self teaching, and progressing painfully without lessons. With lessons, the friends that I have doing them are better than I ever was even at their 1 year mark. I feel pathetic. I think I'm going to do it. My girlfriend wants to do them too.
Quote by syntheticocean
the thing is dcvlehr, I've never taken a lesson before either.

I remember back in school, during music class you would learn something like the recorder or whatever. They would give you something to practice and before you know it, you were actually good at it within a semester of playing. I've continually noticed myself and other players self teaching, and progressing painfully without lessons. With lessons, the friends that I have doing them are better than I ever was even at their 1 year mark. I feel pathetic. I think I'm going to do it. My girlfriend wants to do them too.

I noticed that too. I played the trumpet in 6th grade and got really good at it but decided band was "too gay" and since i was playing every sport i could, my year was busy enough as it was. I noticed i progressed much faster but that was probably due to the fact that i was in a more focused environment and had the added bennefit of just being shown how to do something, rather than take the time to figure out what worked best for me. I looked at a few online things (which are pretty much the standard for the techniques they showed) and it seemed to not work for me at all. Like how to position your hand on the fretboard and how to hold a pick. I had to change it to what was comfortable to me.

I'd recommend (since you have already been playing so long and probably have some sort of a system that feels good to you) is to look up stuff like sweep picking, see how its done and get the basic principle of it in your head, then practice it, and tweak it to fit you.
Quote by syntheticocean
I've been playing guitar for about 13 years now. I suck. I had a 2 1/2 year period where I was dating a woman who wouldn't let me play because she hated the music that I play.

Do you guys think at this point lessons can help me? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'm just hoping that my reason for failure is the fact that I haven't practiced enough and not that I just can't play guitar.

Wow, I can't ever see myself dating a woman that doesn't at least _accept_ my taste in music. My condolences. But hey, lessons probably wouldn't be such a bad idea if you really, honestly want to get back into playing. It'll probably push you to do your own practicing and you'll probably have more direction.

As a side note, even if you have to "relearn" stuff, it won't be too suffocating if you had learned some of the information before, the process will be much faster than when you first started playing
Last edited by silvadolla at Nov 21, 2008,
I took lesson to learn to play for about a year when I started about 12 years ago. When I got in high school I played bass in a punk band which was fun but my guitar kind of went to wayside for a good few years. Then about a year or 2 ago I seriously picked up the guitar again and although it was like starting over the fundumentals I learned were still there.
So my point is that lessons can be good tools.
I went to a local music store yesterday, and they want 20$ for a half an hour. Is that a lot? Last I knew of was only 15$ for an hour
Well plumbers charge £40 an hour and I can unblock my own toilet but I can't teach myself to play guitar....so I'd say $20 for half an hour is reasonable
Quote by syntheticocean
I went to a local music store yesterday, and they want 20$ for a half an hour. Is that a lot? Last I knew of was only 15$ for an hour

No not really. I pay 40 $'s a lesson, but my guy also owns the music school itself. just try to make sure they teach you the right stuff that will improve your technique and not just " This week lets learn this song" that's basically useless, so make sure they teach you the proper stuff (theory, technique,) and they should be willing to work with you to reach your goals.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Alright. It's going to be me and my girlfriend, so 160$ a month is more than my electric, cable, and phone each month.
Quote by syntheticocean
Alright. It's going to be me and my girlfriend, so 160$ a month is more than my electric, cable, and phone each month.

As long as you've found a good teacher, 20 dollars per half hour really isn't too bad. Just remember to be on time! If you've found a teacher by profession chances are they have a full or nearly full-schedule, and they probably wont be willing to sacrifice any of their subsequent student's time if you go in even a few minutes late. Also, check with the teacher if you can have group lessons (with your girlfriend) maybe he/she will reduce price slightly
Quote by silvadolla
As long as you've found a good teacher, 20 dollars per half hour really isn't too bad. Just remember to be on time! If you've found a teacher by profession chances are they have a full or nearly full-schedule, and they probably wont be willing to sacrifice any of their subsequent student's time if you go in even a few minutes late. Also, check with the teacher if you can have group lessons (with your girlfriend) maybe he/she will reduce price slightly

Me and my friend are taking hour lessons and splitting the cost so it only costs 20 each, which i think is a pretty good deal. The teacher is apparently really good so i'm really excited to take my playing to the next level.
ED REED BABY
I would say no. I have taken lessons for 1 year from 2 different people and recently quit taking them. I now realize that was all a waste of money, and I learned barely anything. Get a good Guitar book and teach yourself it is way better trust me.
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
Once upon a time, I took a body language class in college.

Among the first things you learn, when someone says 'trust me', 'honestly' and similar things such as that, they aren't the first person you should trust.
Quote by syntheticocean
Once upon a time, I took a body language class in college.

Among the first things you learn, when someone says 'trust me', 'honestly' and similar things such as that, they aren't the first person you should trust.

Prob the dumbest thing i've ever heard. My SCUBA instructor said trust me after things he taught and they are 100% correct. Also my jump instructors (for static line jumps) said trust me after things they taught and they were also 100% correct.

Usually when someone says trust me, it means they are speaking from personal experience. No more dumb comments for the sake of posting a dumb comment plz.
If you can, go for it. They obviously won't HURT.

On a side note, that girl must of been REALLY hot if you didn't play guitar because she told you not to.
I would defintley take lessons ive been playing for 2 years and im not even close to where I want to be so im starting lessons soon. They not only teach you about how to play your guitar but also to understand why you do it that way or why certain things sound good, IE theory
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by syntheticocean

Good lessons can never hurt... You let someone make you not play? IMESHO that makes you a pussy. Or pussy whipped. Why would you do that?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Just a side note. Learning theory helps greatly to understand what you are doing. But you dont have to pay to learn that stuff. There are guitar theory lessons allllllllll over the internet for free. After playing for an entire year, then just looking at a lesson for about 15 minutes, i already learned and understood a great deal more than I ever did before.