So my band has been going for 2 plus years and i formed it, wrote all the songs (because no one else was interested initially). Now ive got a couple of new guys in who are adding a lot to the band with songs and ideas and they have different influences so its working out great. Problem is that they just **** about when it comes to playing my songs, dont learn the stuff properly and when they play their own stuff its passionate top playing.

I want to have a balance of different styles but its difficult because we are really heavy prog and the set is being changed radically by these new post rock. I am happy to merge the 2 styles and give the guys equal say but they should respect my songs, considering i did everything for the band in the first 2 years.

What should i do or say>?
get out and start your own band, with your own songs.
That is if you WANT to play those songs
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
dont be too bossy.. or they wont play with you. sounds like your being tooo conservative in the way you play music..

if they dont like playing your songs.. then maybe you should change the songs so that they like it. or if they want an equal say in how your songs should be played, let them play it the way they want and you worry about your own parts. otherwise, they probably wont have fun, and not want to play at all
Give them a chance to learn your **** and if they're still dicking around, bring it up to them. If they still blow you off: FIRE THEM. it's your band dude and it sounds like you gotta treat it more so like it is. as much as it's great to let new guys help out with writing, if they pull the **** they are, they're just setting up to undermine you later down the road. so make them comply or make them hit the road. you don't gotta be a dick about it, but you should be assertive. get me?
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Tell them you noticed this. Ask them why they are not that willing to play your songs. If they can't really give a reason, dig through it. Say you want this block out of the way.

Probably let them change stuff about the song. Maybe a variation of the riff etc, so that it becomes theirs as well. That might clear things up.

Good luck with it mate
Quote by pandora_grunt
Tell them you noticed this. Ask them why they are not that willing to play your songs. If they can't really give a reason, dig through it. Say you want this block out of the way.

Probably let them change stuff about the song. Maybe a variation of the riff etc, so that it becomes theirs as well. That might clear things up.

Good luck with it mate

yeah ive tried this approach. the problem is they are just in the band to be in any band the singer especially is not into heavy stuff at all. He arranged a jam between the other guys himself (as i said ive done completely everything since day 1 so i was happy about this) but he ended up introducing 5 new songs of his which are just some lame grungy riffs. My songs arent finished after 1 year of rehersals, so i replied stating that i was happy to jam new ideas but we must finish the songs we have previously done.

theres not many musicians at all round here. it normally takes 6 months or so to get someone else in. I dont want to be in a situation where i am deliberately not playing their stuff at 100% because they are doing the same to me, but i also dont want to cause conflict in the band.
Then I'm sorry but your screwed. As soon as you can reach out further. Do so. Bandmembers are hard to find, 6 months is usual (in my area anyway), reaching out is all there is to do.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
Give them a chance to learn your **** and if they're still dicking around, bring it up to them. If they still blow you off: FIRE THEM. it's your band dude and it sounds like you gotta treat it more so like it is. as much as it's great to let new guys help out with writing, if they pull the **** they are, they're just setting up to undermine you later down the road. so make them comply or make them hit the road. you don't gotta be a dick about it, but you should be assertive. get me?

This is blunt but I think it's the most honest response to how to go about this situation. If it's your band, and people are just being in it and don't really like your stuff, and you want to keep them just so you don't have to go through the trouble for finding members who like your material.....this is a huge potential trainwreck waiting to happen. To be simple, it will probably lead to your band breaking up anyway in the near future, no matter what you try to do to keep the peace.

Take the reins back--as it's been said, you just need to assert yourself, you don't have to be an ***hole about it.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....