So I'm after one of these obviously. Huge on the White Stripes, and big on Jack's tone.. I have done alot of research and turns out he uses all 3. Why? Probably because he has the cash. Really confused because I don't have a lot of experience with fx.

If it helps, amp is an Orange Rockerverb 50.

So basically if you can tell me the pros and cons of each it would help heaps.

Thanks. K.
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
yeah well i don't really want to lose tone.. Sou rekon the Micro or Standard POG?
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
well heres what i can say...the regular pog is completely unncessary...it only has like 2 other features that the micro pog doesn't - modulation octaves...

the micro pog gives you one octave up and one octave down at the same time.
the digitech whammy pedal can bend pitch up or down 1 or 2 octaves...

you can't have up an octave and down at the same time...

for octaves you can either:
play up 1, up 2, down 1, down 2

or using the harmony setting you can play your original note with either 1 octave up, or 1 octave down...not all three

basically the whammy has more/higher/lower octaves but can't do multi octaves at once (octaves up and down) at the same time, and the micro pog can do up and down an octave at the same time...

my opinion: unless you need all 3 octaves at once - get the whammy...

you can still play one octave up, or 2 octaves up, or 1 octave down, or 2 octaves down
whats the purpose of playing an octave up and an octave down at the same time? sorry to sound like a noob, but wouldn't it cancel each other out and just produce the original octave?
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
no it wouldnt cancel out lol, um go the micro pog, it doesnt suck the tone from your orange cuz it is strue bypass and so is the normal pog but that is huge expensive and rather unnnesacary. micro pog
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
take seven nation army for example; can you set the micro pog one octave down and one octave up to do the main riff and then the solo?
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
I assume you'd set it an octave down, then turn it off for the riff and solo.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by asr_larocca
So I'm after one of these obviously. Huge on the White Stripes, and big on Jack's tone.. I have done alot of research and turns out he uses all 3. Why? Probably because he has the cash. Really confused because I don't have a lot of experience with fx.

If it helps, amp is an Orange Rockerverb 50.

So basically if you can tell me the pros and cons of each it would help heaps.

Thanks. K.

You use a Rockerverb 50, a $2400 amp, and you're complaining about Jack White's financial prosperity?

I'd go with the Micro POG.
Quote by GorillaSalsa
You use a Rockerverb 50, a $2400 amp, and you're complaining about Jack White's financial prosperity?

I'd go with the Micro POG.

maybe he doesnt want top spend 1k on pedals, amp tone is alot more important than octave pedal tone so i think that gets more cash towards it
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
Quote by dbl93100
well heres what i can say...the regular pog is completely unncessary...it only has like 2 other features that the micro pog doesn't - modulation octaves...

the micro pog gives you one octave up and one octave down at the same time.
the digitech whammy pedal can bend pitch up or down 1 or 2 octaves...

you can't have up an octave and down at the same time...

for octaves you can either:
play up 1, up 2, down 1, down 2

or using the harmony setting you can play your original note with either 1 octave up, or 1 octave down...not all three

basically the whammy has more/higher/lower octaves but can't do multi octaves at once (octaves up and down) at the same time, and the micro pog can do up and down an octave at the same time...

my opinion: unless you need all 3 octaves at once - get the whammy...

you can still play one octave up, or 2 octaves up, or 1 octave down, or 2 octaves down

Exactly what he said... the only reason to get a POG over the Whammy is with the POG you can make organ/keyboard-like sounds because you can add a bunch of different octaves all at once.

In the end though I'd buy the Whammy... But you should definitely try all 3 out if you can, then decided for yourself.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
the pog is ridiculous...and seven nation army uses a whammy 1 octave up for the solo, and one octave down for the main riff to sound like a bass..im not sure if he uses a micro pog or whammy for the 1 octave down bass...

so if your dying to get an organ sound with 3 octaves at once get the micro pog...
otherwise for more octaves and shifting get the whammy
If you wanna do true polyphony pitch shifting, the POG works better. if you jsut wanna do faux bass or somehow play weirdly high pitched solos, i'd lean more towards the Whammy.

one thing to consider is that the Whammy basically comes equipped with an expression pedal. From what i've heard it doesn't take well to chords, and that's why Jack got a POG in the first place

Edit - Jack doesn't have use the whammy for the solo in Seven Nation Army. he just plays it that high
Last edited by Mack56 at Nov 25, 2008,
Some songs NEED a POG (i.e. Joe Satriani's Super Colossal) whereas others NEED a Whammy (i.e. Buckethead's King James, Joe Satriani's Searching) As well, the Whammy doesn't suck tone as much as people think they do. Place it at the front or near the front of your pedal chain for minimal tone suckage, not in the effects loop.

For White Stripes stuff a Whammy would probably suffice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Mack56
If you wanna do true polyphony pitch shifting, the POG works better. if you jsut wanna do faux bass or somehow play weirdly high pitched solos, i'd lean more towards the Whammy.

one thing to consider is that the Whammy basically comes equipped with an expression pedal. From what i've heard it doesn't take well to chords, and that's why Jack got a POG in the first place

Edit - Jack doesn't have use the whammy for the solo in Seven Nation Army. he just plays it that high

the pog doesn't do pitch shifting, just pitch changing...the whammy does shifting.
and i agree, i had the whammy, and it doesn't do chords well. chords come out like **** on it. to the thread starter:

try both, depends what your looking for.
for layered chords - micro pog.
for insane pitch shifts - whammy.

wow this is my 3rd time posting in this thread and im getting pretty repeatative, haha.
the whammy is better for having a bunch of fun and ****ing around. the pog handles chords better and sucks less tone, probably since its analog. i think the micro pog is digital though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.