Page 1 of 2
So, I love my guitar, really.

Ibanez Prestige RG550 20th Anniversary!

Pictures....

So I have been reading about new pickups, and honestly, it is enough to make my head spin. I know what sound I want, but every pickups description i get a hold of makes it out to be the greatest pickup on earth, and there is no way I can hear the tone of it by reading text and listening to audio of other peoples super processed guitars.

My gripe with my current pickups. I do not use the single coil in the middle at all, its just not for my style. I either use just the bridge, or just the neck. The neck is slightly muddy on the low end, and the bridge lacks the low end punch that the neck has, but has a great high end sound. I'm looking at Dimarzio mainly, but I just dont know what one i want for the bridge position. I want my guitar to get the Protest The Hero kind of sound if you will.

Link for reference..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMfz4HrcEA

Anyways, any suggestions would really be appreciated! Thank you in advance guys. (sorry for the novel)
i posted a link to the guitar i want to be sounding like.

I use a solid state bass head and 4x10 bass cabinet. The distortion i use is a Visual Audio Jekyll and Hyde pedal.
Most important questions to answer...

What amp are you using?
What don't you like about the sound currently?
How do you want the tone to change?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
protest the hero has no tone, Get a ****tier guitar instead.
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
No offense guys, but re-read my post please, as most of the questions you have asked have already been answered. I am very happy with how the amp sounds, honestly. I really love my distortion too. I describe it as me wanting a mix between my neck and my bridge pickup. I want something thats bassy and really punchy like the neck pickup, but in the bridge position so i dont get as much mud for low chords and such.
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
protest the hero has no tone, Get a ****tier guitar instead.

Really? I didn't remember asking whether you liked his tone, of what their tone is like. I'm new to this forum and you're ruining it already. Both the guys from protest have way more expensive guitars then i do, and you are telling me buying a more crap guitar will make me sound like them? Have fun with your First Act Strat buddy.
but you're playing through a bass amp!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
but you're playing through a bass amp!

haha, nice smiley. Yes, I am playing through a bass amp. Why? Because I'm mainly a bass player. Secondly, I do not have the funds currently for an Orange Halfstack, haha. Until i get that money, ill stay with my bass amp, which actually sounds good already.
Quote by Santucci218
Really? I didn't remember asking whether you liked his tone, of what their tone is like. I'm new to this forum and you're ruining it already. Both the guys from protest have way more expensive guitars then i do, and you are telling me buying a more crap guitar will make me sound like them? Have fun with your First Act Strat buddy.

You aren't going to last long in this forum with that kind of attitude.

You have to expect answers that aren't related, but thats part of the fun.

If i'm honest, you need a guitar amplifier to get the best tones from an electric guitar.
Thats my recommendation.
Just go to a guitar shop and try some out till you find the one.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Honestly, there's a reason why there are bass amps, and guitar amps (Besides the fact that guitar amps can't go that low). Its because guitar amps are made to make electric guitars sound better. Bass amps aren't made to make guitars sound better. The mud that you're describing is probably due to the bass amp.
Get a real amp!
superman is killing himself tonight
I don't agree. Bass amps and cabs are full range. I would never want an amp or cab that make my guitar sound better. The sound should be the guitar. I just want pure amplification of my signal and nothing more. I run into the power amp of my bass amp, so its not like im equing with it or anything. I use my pedals for all of that.
Bass amps are designed for BASS GUITARS, due to the lower frequencies they put out.
Guitar amps are designed for ELECTRIC GUITARS, due to the higher frequencies.

I've played my guitar through a friend's bass amp and it sounded horrible, even with pedals.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Santucci218
I don't agree. Bass amps and cabs are full range. I would never want an amp or cab that make my guitar sound better. The sound should be the guitar. I just want pure amplification of my signal and nothing more. I run into the power amp of my bass amp, so its not like im equing with it or anything. I use my pedals for all of that.

amp = 80% of your tone and sound.

if you have a bass, your guitar won't sound as good.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Bass amps are designed for BASS GUITARS, due to the lower frequencies they put out.
Guitar amps are designed for ELECTRIC GUITARS, due to the higher frequencies.

I've played my guitar through a friend's bass amp and it sounded horrible, even with pedals.

thanks for all the help guys.
I'm not gonna get into the amp argument. Well, actually I will.
Bass amps to me seem to have nicer highs and less tubby lows, but guitar amps are designed for guitars so obviously a guitar through a good guitar amp will sound better than through a good bass amp.

Moving on, that's a great guitar. Treat it to a set of Bare Knuckle pickups, the best on the market if you ask me. There are more who will tell you this. If you're serious, email Tim, the boss. Guy knows good tone inside out and can sort your X2Ns from your Dimebuckers, and your Alnico II Pros from your '59 Models.
Quote by Rock Pig
I'm not gonna get into the amp argument. Well, actually I will.
Bass amps to me seem to have nicer highs and less tubby lows, but guitar amps are designed for guitars so obviously a guitar through a good guitar amp will sound better than through a good bass amp.

Moving on, that's a great guitar. Treat it to a set of Bare Knuckle pickups, the best on the market if you ask me. There are more who will tell you this. If you're serious, email Tim, the boss. Guy knows good tone inside out and can sort your X2Ns from your Dimebuckers, and your Alnico II Pros from your '59 Models.

I have heard that company name around a lot, ill definitly check them out. thank you!
I like that pickguard, nice guitar, man. Yeah, I'm not trying to jump on a bandwagon, but the amp is 80% of your tone. There's no such thing as pure guitar, it's the combination of the two. If you're set on pickups, check out bare knuckle, like rock pig suggested, but the money would be better spent on a good tube amp, which could be pretty (relatively) cheap if you get a used on off of craigslist or something like that. Something around $250 could get you a decent one.

Like siad your amp is 80% of your tone since there is no such thing as pure guitar. So just a good tube and the pickups are there just to fine tune your tone.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Replacing pickups isn't going to have a major effect on a solid state bass amp, and in all honesty I can't wholeheartedly recommend anythng because I have no idea how they'll behave given the rest of your rig. If you had a decent guitar amp then I'd have said a Dimarzio Breed - but given what you're running through it really is a lottery. Aftermarket pickups are designed with specific applications in mind, they're generally designed to create a more harmonically complex sound with more overtones, usually around the midrange frequencies...I honestly don't know if they'd be as noticeable, if at all, on a bass amp.

There is no "I'm happy with how my amp sounds, but I don't like my pickups"...your tone is your tone and you're either happy with it or your not. If you're not happy with it then you have to review your entire rig...and in your case it's highly unlikely that pickups are the major issue. Take your guitar to a shop and try it through a proper guitar amp...doesn't have to be expensive, something cheap like a Bugera or Randall tube combo is fine, and find out for yourself what kind of difference it makes. Don't get me wrong, it might not make much difference, I've never heard your amp after all, but you should at least try and approach it with open ears. At the moment you've just decided pickups are the problem because you don't want it to be the amp.

As far as the middle single goes no, it's not great on its own but use it in positions 2 and 4 split with the humbuckers for great clean tones, funky stuff and lower gain Hendrixy tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 21, 2008,
well then guys, what tube amp can you recommend for cheap? Peavey Valvekings seem decent, yeah? My friend has a Mesa Dual Rec and that thing just kills, but its way too much for me, haha. Like i said, tonewise, think like...The Fall of Troy and Protest The Hero.
Quote by Santucci218
well then guys, what tube amp can you recommend for cheap? Peavey Valvekings seem decent, yeah? My friend has a Mesa Dual Rec and that thing just kills, but its way too much for me, haha. Like i said, tonewise, think like...The Fall of Troy and Protest The Hero.

Normally I'd say an Epi Valve Junior, but for PtH and FoT it probably wouldn't be as good as you'd want it to be. What's your budget?
Quote by Santucci218

Here are the tube amps that generally get reccomended for a good price, minus used models, Traynors and Bugera, which I know nothing at all about.
Valvekings - Favourites of the modders, who are constantly fiddling with speaker changes and the like. Good cleans and effectively two drive channels, a crunch-like sound and a more saturated sound. A good OD will take it into Br00t4lZ with ease.
Randall RG50TC - Great all-round amps with not only thrashy, shreddy distortion but a respectable set of Plexiish sounds and alright cleans. Only drawback is that they fall apart.
Blues Junior - Gorgeous cleans, but needs an OD pedal for rockier stuff.
Peavey Classic 30 - British voiced amp geared towards blues and classic rock. Great sound, although the newer ones pale in comparison to the older ones.

I probably missed a lot, but that should be sufficient for me.
Anyone know if a Vox AC15 would be good for what he wants to play? I love that amp, but I play mostly blues and classic/alt rock, so I'm not sure if it would be good for the tone you're looking for.
Quote by irishstang_87
Normally I'd say an Epi Valve Junior, but for PtH and FoT it probably wouldn't be as good as you'd want it to be. What's your budget?

Hm, probably around 500 or so. I work at a music store, and i also dont mind buying used. I can get Peavey and Crate and Line 6 through my store. That Crate 100V seems to be decent actually. I dont like the natural distortion of that series though, but i would just use it as a clean amp and use my pedal for the distortion. I'm very happy with my distortion's sound.
You shouldn't be - good amp distortion is always far superior to pedal distortion., unless you're paying $300 for the pedal.

You'd still find a use for the Jekyll and Hyde, the overdrive in particular will work great as a boost for a tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by irishstang_87
Anyone know if a Vox AC15 would be good for what he wants to play? I love that amp, but I play mostly blues and classic/alt rock, so I'm not sure if it would be good for the tone you're looking for.

ive tried out the big brother, the AC50. Honestly, i really dont fancy hybrid amps. It was okay. Definitely usable for classic rock, like you said. but for metal, eah, not so much.
Quote by Santucci218
ive tried out the big brother, the AC50. Honestly, i really dont fancy hybrid amps. It was okay. Definitely usable for classic rock, like you said. but for metal, eah, not so much.

You mean combo amps? The AC's aren't hybrids. Yeah, I can't really see it being used for metal, but who knows. The guy above my post had a pretty good list to check out, so i'd give some of those a try.

EDIT: You might have tried out the AD50, which is a hybrid, but I'm talking about the AC15 and AC30. There isn't an AC50, as far as i know.
Quote by irishstang_87
You mean combo amps? The AC's aren't hybrids. Yeah, I can't really see it being used for metal, but who knows. The guy above my post had a pretty good list to check out, so i'd give some of those a try.

EDIT: You might have tried out the AD50, which is a hybrid, but I'm talking about the AC15 and AC30. There isn't an AC50, as far as i know.

My mistake! hmm, 15 watts, 600 dollars, 1 12 inch speaker. Honestly, i dont think it would be loud enough for my application. like i said, the kid im playing with has a Mesa Duel Rec.
Quote by Santucci218
My mistake! hmm, 15 watts, 600 dollars, 1 12 inch speaker. Honestly, i dont think it would be loud enough for my application. like i said, the kid im playing with has a Mesa Duel Rec.

Damn, must have missed that part. Yeah, then, I'd check out the list that was posted. The Vox and the Epiphone are the only two that I have any first hand experience with, so i can't really recommend anything beyond those two.
Well I'm not too familiar with the sound of those bands, but a small tube amp to check out might be the Egnater Rebel if your store carries it. If guitar isn't your primary instrument, then the valveking would be ok, but otherwise it's not great.

High gain budget amps:
the randall that was recommended
Peavey Triple XXX
Peavey Ultra
Bugera
Honestly guys, bass amps aren't the end of the world for guitar players... some of them have pretty awesome cleans.

But for a guitar amp, I think a Tiny Terror would work well (I guess you could use the bass cabinet until you get a guitar cab).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Santucci218
wonder how the tiny terror is..

Famous amp, really. The archetypal low-wattage tube amp, but it now has a contender in the form of the Blackstar HT5. Try them both out, they're great, but neither of them will do metal straight out of the box. They're both more blues-rock/classic rock based but there are a number of threads asking if the TT can do metal and it's usually a resounding yes, albeit with a little tweaking and maybe an OD pedal.
Quote by Rock Pig
Famous amp, really. The archetypal low-wattage tube amp, but it now has a contender in the form of the Blackstar HT5. Try them both out, they're great, but neither of them will do metal straight out of the box. They're both more blues-rock/classic rock based but there are a number of threads asking if the TT can do metal and it's usually a resounding yes, albeit with a little tweaking and maybe an OD pedal.

I wouldn't consider TFOT's and PTH's tone metal though, and I'm pretty sure Thomas Erak (or whatever his name is) uses Orange.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
I wouldn't consider TFOT's and PTH's tone metal though, and I'm pretty sure Thomas Erak (or whatever his name is) uses Orange.

I haven't been paying attention to the tonal requirements of the TS, I've just been talking very generally. >.>
Page 1 of 2