Im looking for a good setup to record onto my computer for around 200-300. Im completely new to recording but im looking for a setup to get me started. Ive looked at the line 6 ux2 but ive read both good and bad reviews on it so im not sure what i should go with. Any ideas?
I found the M-audio Firewire Solo works great! It has a 1/4" and an XLR input.
I use the Solo when recording my band or just myself.

I find Sony Acid works great for basic recording; It can be purchase at Best Buy for about $60.
Gear:
1990s Dean Cadillac Select (shrimp fork) w/Seymour D. JB
2003 Ibanez SZ520QM
Line 6 Spider III Half-Stack
So you're going completely with software? There's no chance on recording an amp or a multi-effects pedal?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
in the future possible, I have them back home. Im in iraq right now but im looking for something for when i get back to where im stationed. I wont have anything there but my guitar. Back home i have a peavy amp, and a digitech
Ah. Anyway, if you're just using a guitar (and not singing), then a GX is all you'll need. Get the UX1 if you plan on miking an instrument or plan on singing while playing. The UX2 isn't necessary unless you plan on doing both, and by then there are much better alternatives. If you want more versatility, you can get some good plugins and work through them in a free software like KRISTAL.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I would like to have the mic capability if i decide to sing one day or play an acoustic. Do you guys think the line 6 ux1/2 interface is worth the money or are there better ones out there. Also what do you think about apple garage band? Im thinking about getting a mac when i get back since the laptop i have now is a piece of garbage
The toneports are ok for the price...nothing amazing but you need to spend at least $200 on an interface to get better sound than the Toneports.

The UX1 should be fine. I've heard it runs fair on Vista these days and I ran one myself for a few weeks.
Well thats mainly what im looking for right now since i dont have the space for all the other recording gear. An interface in the price range of 200-300 with the options to ad mics and inputs later down the road. im not looking for anything crazy just something pretty good to start me in a recording direction. I dont want a piece of garbage and im willing to spend a little more if it would be worth it instead. Ive looked at the M-audio Firewire solo and i think im leaning more towards that right now.
If its just a small setup as a hobby for now go with a Toneport. If you really want to spend at least $200 go with either a PreSonus Inspire or Mackie Onyx Satellite, (Satellite not for Vista users). Both are great units. I think the Mackie has better preamps on board though and has more connections. If you really think you will need all of that right now, go for it.
im looking for a hobby but ive also been reading a lot of reviews of the toneports crashing a lot of computers as well as some other interfaces. I would be willing to spend a little bit more if its less of a hassle. I dont want to spend tones, but just enough to be able to play around a bit and not make me frustrated.
toneport is pretty cool,records pretty damn good,tonne od great effects!
Quote by intheshaw
im looking for a hobby but ive also been reading a lot of reviews of the toneports crashing a lot of computers as well as some other interfaces. I would be willing to spend a little bit more if its less of a hassle. I dont want to spend tones, but just enough to be able to play around a bit and not make me frustrated.

I used the toneport UX1 at the beginning of 2008 and it crashed quite often on me...to the point where I just sold it after two weeks. You must keep I'm mind though that this was when the drivers were new. During the time I had it running I found the clean tones of Gearbox to be great but the distortions where quite muddy. You can tweak that a little with the EQ but IMO a different software such as Amplitube or something my NI may be better for some users.

I don't know how well the Toneports are working on Vista these days as I have not tried one in a while but if you are running windows Vista it may be best to go with an EMU or PreSonus. M-Audio also makes great drivers for Vista.

In the end it probably comes down to how much you want to spend. I personally would rather get a higher priced piece of gear and be sure it would work well every day...even if I was doing recording as a hobby.
I am running vista as of now, but plans are to get a mac sometime next year when i can afford one. Im thinking the same as you moody that i would rather spend a little bit more to get a quality piece of equipment. My thing with getting something cheap would be id just end up hating it and buying something for more anyways. I may have a copy of ableton available to me soon but ill have to talk to my buddy about it first. Ill have to take a look into EMU and PreSonus. Any models you recommend with those or m-audio. I looked at the firewire solo and it looked to be pretty good.
For EMU the 0404 is nice, the PreSonus Inspire or better yet, Firebox are all great.
When it comes to the M-Audio products the first one I look at is the M-Audio Firewire 410.

I get look at a lot of the reviews at the studio central board. They all seem to be big fans of PreSonus.

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=47273

The 410 is a nice M-audio product for the price. It has most of the features the PreSonus Firebox offers and the stability for running on Vista.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 22, 2008,
Im really leaning towards the firebox right now. Its a little bit more, but it seems like theres a lot of great reviews on it. It just seems like its set-up the best but what do i know, im just getting into it.
ok last question. Since i dont have a firewire port on my current laptop, would i be better off going with USB or should i get the firewire card.