I useally use Neck pickup for. fast runs, sweeping/sweep tap, string skipping licks

Then i use bridge pickup for harmonics, tapping, and rhythm postion

is this correct?

also when i practice i use full gain and everything so i sound horrible and i can improve on that setting then when i switch too normal setting its better :P
theres no set PU to use for anything, depends on the song youre playing and what sound you wanna create :P
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
I would use Neck for rhythm since it is generall bassier unless of course the song calls for a treblish riff. I know when I palm mute during vocals it just doesnt fill enough using trebel.
actually to rephrase what I said, I dont really worry too much on pick up selection I use a 3 way switch but I only turn it to both for rhythm other wise my amp gives enough fill I dont worry too much I usually have 6 bass, 4.5 mid, 7.5 treb
it's up to you. i'm partial to slower solos being on the neck PU.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Quote by seljer
just be all metal and use only your bridge pickup all the time

nah you will just be sloppy in recordings and hurt people's ears live
Quote by ehlert99
I would use Neck for rhythm since it is generall bassier unless of course the song calls for a treblish riff. I know when I palm mute during vocals it just doesnt fill enough using trebel.

i play old skool thrash metal mostly, speultura etc.. and yngwie malmsteen so i know malmsteen uses neck pickup for almost everything and sepultura uses bridge but malmsteen is better soloist so ill go with his setting :P
If you listen to The Trooper, Dave Murray uses his bridge throughout the song until he gets to his solo (at least, that's what it sounds like), so that's what I do. Most songs, however, use the bridge pickup for lead and the neck pickup for rhythm. Personally, I'd use my neck pickup for sweeping as it gives a cleaner sound, and the bridge for things like tapping since it has a better response to that kind of thing.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by 2mins2midnite
nah you will just be sloppy in recordings and hurt people's ears live

hurt = metal
It depends on what sound you want.

Practicing with full gain is a really daft idea though....practice clean, play with some gain.

Ony use full gain if you want a load of messy noise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It depends on what sound you want.

Practicing with full gain is a really daft idea though....practice clean, play with some gain.

Ony use full gain if you want a load of messy noise.

when i play on clean channel or slightly with gain it cuts out excess noise and affects my wanted tone thats fine, but when i turn gain up etc.. im quite sloppy so when i practice with high gain i can hear everything and it picks up so many noises it sounds horrible but i made sure my technique is correct and palm mute correctly etc.. so when i play on my wanted setting it sounds orgasmic and i dont have to put much effort in as i did with high gain :P

(btw i got a really crap amp)
Quote by 2mins2midnite
i play old skool thrash metal mostly, speultura etc.. and yngwie malmsteen
I'm so sorry but, . Old school metal is like Judas priest, Black sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Iron maiden (I might get some fair arguments about this one saying they're NWOBHM) and possibly Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (some of their stuff wasn't really metal). This stuff is at least 15 years older than Sepultura.

Anyway, different pickups have different resistances. The neck pickup has less resistance, therefore is less heavy. It's best for cleaner music, like those ballads older metal bands write and jazz and blues and country. The bridge pickup is heavier and sounds better for heavier styles of music, like metal, rock and punk.
It really depends on what you're playing.
If some sort of bluesy lick, I personally think the bridge pickup sounds great. Or perhaps the neck pickup with the tone volume quite low.
Metal however, especially thrash metal I have it on the bridge. For other stuff I have it in the middle.

Yeah it really does depend on what you wanna play.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt