Hi

I am looking into buying a Gibson Les Paul Custom (in black) but I am not quite shure if it sounds better than the Standard. Unfortunately where I live (in Iceland) I can't go into a store and physically try them out side by side. From what I gathered online it seems that the Custom would sound brighter because it has a non chambered solid body. I love the way the Custom looks but I fear it doesn't really sound all that great.

I appreciate your input

thanks
The Custom comes with a 490r and a 498t doesnt it? that puts me off it a little, there just about the worst pickups gibson make, then again the standards burstbuckers arent too good...57 classics are the way to go

Edit: To summarise, if your going to get such a nice guitar, you should get some nice pickups for it too
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Last edited by xander307 at Nov 21, 2008,
thanks xander307

I was worried about the quality of the Customs pickups because they are the cheapest humbuckers gibson makes. Since the guitar is 3000$+ I would want it to sound great out of the gate. If I have to change them I might aswell get a much cheaper guitar.
Have you looked at an Epiphone Elitist? Much cheaper, and equal to the Gibson Standard in quality. I think they run a little over a thousand, a lot cheaper than most gibsons, and sound great. I'm not sure what pickups they come with stock, but i agree with xander, '57 Classics
I tried a Custom out recently and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I'm not joking when I say I've got Epiphones and other Chinese-made copies that sound better than that Custom did.
That said, it still beats the Standard.

Also this probably isn't what you want to hear, but you can't risk buying a Gibson online. Most Gibsons are awful, even Custom Shop ones, so you have to try the guitar out before you buy it to make sure you're getting a good one. I tried out about ten Custom Shop LPs which were all awful until eventually I found one which was really, truly fantastic. 1 good guitar out of 11 isn't good odds.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I tried a Custom out recently and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I'm not joking when I say I've got Epiphones and other Chinese-made copies that sound better than that Custom did.
That said, it still beats the Standard.

Also this probably isn't what you want to hear, but you can't risk buying a Gibson online. Most Gibsons are awful, even Custom Shop ones, so you have to try the guitar out before you buy it to make sure you're getting a good one. I tried out about ten Custom Shop LPs which were all awful until eventually I found one which was really, truly fantastic. 1 good guitar out of 11 isn't good odds.

He's not lying, the quality control on Gibsons these days is really sub par. I'm not sure about the customs, but the standards I've played have so much variation that it's really not a good idea to buy one online. Is there any ways you can try something out first?
****e!
I would assume that for the money that gibson is charging they would get the quality under control. Aren't custom shop guitars hand built my master craftsmen?
In any case I will wait untill I come to the states to get one. I got an American Fender Deluxe and the built and sound quality of it is excellent.
Quote by ikravchik
****e!
I would assume that for the money that gibson is charging they would get the quality under control. Aren't custom shop guitars hand built my master craftsmen? .
Yes, they're built by hand by experiened luthiers. But that doesn't mean the wood they use is always the best, it doesn't mean the luthier was paying any real attention when they made it... it's not like each guitar is lovingly hand crafted by one expert. Some guys make bodies, some guys make necks, another guy puts them together...

And it does seem Gibson have thrown Quality Control out the window. It's like they don't check over their guitars at all anymore, and they clearly don't care anymore about getting good quality body woods.

Like I said, the one good Custom Shop I found really was amazing, I bought it right away and I don't regret that at all, it's a truly flawless guitar - so it's not like every guitar Gibson makes is horrible. It's just the vast majority of them that are horrible....

I think every two decades, Gibson's quality takes a dive. They were at their best in the late '50s and early 60's, then they famously became awful in the late 70's and early 80's, they got good again through the 90's, and now they're starting to go bad again.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, I'll ignor the conversation that the posters are having here and simply address the issue at hand.
The old standards have a more modern rock sound. The new standards, from what I've played, sound more vintage-ish. The Customs have that vintage sound in spades. If you're lucky, that is.
And mind out for quality. Basically, everything Flibble said. Guy knows his Les Pauls.
Quote by ikravchik
Hi

I am looking into buying a Gibson Les Paul Custom (in black) but I am not quite shure if it sounds better than the Standard. Unfortunately where I live (in Iceland) I can't go into a store and physically try them out side by side. From what I gathered online it seems that the Custom would sound brighter because it has a non chambered solid body. I love the way the Custom looks but I fear it doesn't really sound all that great.

I appreciate your input

thanks

The Standards and the Customs have a totally different feel as well...try them both...I personally LOVE my Les Paul Custom!!!!!!!!!! (black)
Thanks alot for everyones feedback

To Fibble. Since a good Gibson is so hard to come buy I was wondering could you tell me what things to look for when comparing them? What are the first indicators that say it's a poorely crafted guitar? I would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks
Last edited by ikravchik at Nov 23, 2008,
If it sounds bad, that's a pretty reliable indicator that it's poorly crafted.

NEVER buy a guitar that you have never personally inspected or played.

You wouldn't stick your penis into a tree would you?