I borrowed an SM58 mic from a friend with a female mic socket-1/4 inch amp plug lead. I'm not sure why, but it's making no sound. The volume is on and everything is fine, because I tested it with a guitar as well, but the mic just isn't making a noise.

There's a screw thing just above the input on the mic, should I twist that or something?
Explain the set up a little better please and i think i can help you out.

57s and 58s have an extraordinarily low line level. Somewhere about -56 dB. You need some pretty decent preamp volume to get a usable signal. Although most amps have a decently beefed preamp, so if you would kindly go through your set up with the microphone i can troubleshoot a little better.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
It's not really an amp. I'm running it through my Mac, to try and use it in Garagband. I have an adapter so that you plug in a 1/4-inch lead and it makes it pluggable to the audio input port of the laptop. This has worked fine forever with my guitar, but it won't work with this mic. It must be something to do with the mic, but I don't know what because I know nothing about them
Yeah man the mic is fine, it just needs a preamp to get a usable signal. As I said before, 57s and 58s have a line level of about -56 dB. That means to get the microphone to unison level you need to throw 56 decibels at it through a preamp. Do you need 56 dB of gain? No, a usable signal is somewhere around -16 dB, so you can get by with 40 dB of gain on a preamp.

Again don't futz with the microphone. It's absolutely fine. It's your setup that's the issue.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
Quote by fusionsan
Yeah man the mic is fine, it just needs a preamp to get a usable signal. As I said before, 57s and 58s have a line level of about -56 dB. That means to get the microphone to unison level you need to throw 56 decibels at it through a preamp. Do you need 56 dB of gain? No, a usable signal is somewhere around -16 dB, so you can get by with 40 dB of gain on a preamp.

Again don't futz with the microphone. It's absolutely fine. It's your setup that's the issue.

ok... so do I need to buy a pre-amp or is there a way to emulate one?