Hey all

im getting together a new band which will be heading towards the industry hopefully being professional musicians.

but at the second have 30 demo ideas all in rough shape at the sec.

so my question is what do i need.....

whats industry standard for recording programs?
is it better to go to a studio?

this would be very helpfull and help ease the process.

thank you

Steve
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe
apparently pro tools is the industry standard
and if you dont know what your doing then going into the studio would be your best bet for a serious recording
My music

www.purevolume,com/ericselzer
yeh i heard that for quite a while but then something about inuendo 3 being standard.
whats acid pro like?
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe
i've never messed with acid pro, but apparently alot of people use it. I would recommend cubase or digital performer, they are professional and user friendly. I would stay away from pro tools though, unless you want to buy a whole lot of M audio brand ****
My music

www.purevolume,com/ericselzer
What's the budget? If you want to go pro, be prepared to spend thousands at least for a good studio. And what instruments are being played?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
the equipment which is gonna be used:
Marshall el34 100/100
les paul
boss gt-8

vox will be normal sm58 i reckon.

half the band needs to be created still but im gettin prepared and saving up.
budget wont be a problem, you want the best you get the best yeh?
but tbh i might use someone elses studio

just think bout wot i could use on my pc for a good recording as a demo.
ive also got to help:
alesis 8 track mixer
1k pa system with 15" speakers

and my computers specs (just incase) are :

Intel core 2 duo 1.9ghz
Nvidia 650i sli
2gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600gts
but my sound card is onboard. - but the mixer helps i think :P

so if this helps that would be great

cheers

steve
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Read the various parts of that. Or if you really want to go for this I advise you to read it all

If you want "the best" then i'd advise you to go to a studio. Home recording is a lot of fun, but it isn't something that you can just throw money at and hey presto you've got a great demo. It takes knowledge and experience to record, mix and master a great final product.

If you want to do it all yourself, I'd look into buying a firewire interface such as the MOTU 8pre, or Presonus Firestudio. Also some decent monitor speakers, and software for sequencing. Then buy some microphones. That'll get you started

In my opinion, you'd be best just going to a studio. If you're not interested in learning about studio engineering then don't bother throwing money at something which you could get done a lot better for a lot cheaper. If you want to learn the techniques though, definitely look into it more, and start by reading the link I gave you

EDIT: Here's a quote from tweaks guide: "Those who want "the best" sound quality might spend $4,000 on preamps, $3500 on converters, $1500 on an audio interface and $5,000 on mics and $3,000 on room treatment. That's $17,000 just to get into the pro ballpark, still far from "the best", and we haven't included the cost of monitors, DAW, software or cables."
Last edited by shmooty at Nov 21, 2008,
Yeh you make a good point

Thank you very much all for your help i will read this guide for knowledge but i think a studio will be best.

once again thank you for your time to everyone who put there input in

shmooty +10 internet points to you sir!

steve
Agreed about everything in this thread so far.

You can almost *never* talk about recording and say that "money isn't an issue." Yes. It is a big issue.

Software - $1000.
ONE mic like a U87 - $3500
Lynx Audio Interface - $3000
Apogee Rosetta converters - $3000
Avalon preamp (2ch) - $3000
Adam Audio Studio monitors - $3000.

That's just a start. One mic...no room treatment, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

You can almost *never* talk about recording and say that "money isn't an issue." Yes. It is a big issue.

CT

Last time i checked money isnt an issue Thank You.

So stop telling me that money is an issue, maybe to you. and maybe you can stop puttin it in dollar signs n be kind enough to put it in my currency.

Ive had the help i need which i am very grateful for. You sir have not helped but just mimed someone else.
Gd night.
Well.... I'm happy for you that you're the one in about 100 000 who wouldn't bat an eye at an entry price tag of $30 000 in gear alone, plus a mic collection that could easily run you another $10 000, and room treatments that could easily put you up over $50 000. Not counting the price of the room, of course.

It's just been my experience that most people on most forums who originally claim that money isn't an issue start to run and hide once they find out how much some of this stuff costs.

You're the exception. Good on ya.

And you're 18.... is this a nice inheritance, or are your parents just wealthy?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

What you've got for a demo will be fine, although the pc soundcard will sound noisy and horrible, it will be usable for a sketch track, if all you're doing is writing songs? However, there is far more to recording than getting to play with gear and pressing record. If your performance sucks then so will the recording.

Two things are ALWAYS true in recording:

**** in = **** out
You can't polish a turd
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Quote by Slash181
the equipment which is gonna be used:
half the band needs to be created still but im gettin prepared and saving up.
budget wont be a problem, you want the best you get the best yeh?
but tbh i might use someone elses studio

Probably the best idea. Look around in your area for good studios, and make sure your band gets it stuff together, otherwise you'll waste money. Also, I don't know what your band is made up of, so I don't know how many inputs/outputs you want. There's no one studio for all...some people like large consoles while others want different flavors of preamps. If anything, find a nice studio, see what they have, and what stuff will work for you.

and my computers specs (just incase) are :

Intel core 2 duo 1.9ghz
Nvidia 650i sli
2gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600gts

How many free slots (PCI, PCI-e) are left? You may want to get high end plugins that run off cards from Universal Audio and SSL, which are easily $1-2k. If you want a complete suite of professional plugins, there's always Waves Mercury Pack which is $10k if formatted for Pro Tools HD cards (which cost about the same amount minimum). I'd upgrade to at least a quad core, or wait until the i7 is out and go full out.

just think bout wot i could use on my pc for a good recording as a demo.
ive also got to help:
alesis 8 track mixer
1k pa system with 15" speakers

Nothing here can be transferred into your high end studio. PA speakers are meant for live stuff.

but my sound card is onboard. - but the mixer helps i think :P
steve

Actually, it doesn't. The sound quality's mostly determined by the converters in the onboard card, not the mixer itself (which is really a preamp).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by axemanchris

It's just been my experience that most people on most forums who originally claim that money isn't an issue start to run and hide once they find out how much some of this stuff costs.

You're the exception. Good on ya.

CT

im glad you didnt take my post the wrong way i just realised how negative it sounded......may of been a bad day, sorry anyway.

Quote by Fast_Fingers

How many free slots (PCI, PCI-e) are left?

CT

i think there is 1 more pci free

Quote by clap_clap_clap

**** in = **** out
You can't polish a turd

CT

our turd is on fire! :P

weve got over half the band together, nice to see people so commited round the area i live in.
just need a rhythm guitarist and then we are sorted.

we found a good place to practice, this conference room which is £15 for 3 hours ( $30) and the usual rate is like £25 for 2 hours ($50)

so to consider everything in price this would be it:

Software $10k (£5k)
Mic collections $10k (£5k)
Converters $3.5k (£1.8k)
Room treatment $50k (£25k)
studio time $5k (Variable) (£2.5k)

$78.5k £39.3k

computer upgrades:

i7 extreme £739.99 (normal for cpu)
MSI X58 Motherboard £214.99
ddr3 per 2GB £459.95

£1414.93

overall : £40,714.93 ($81k)

if ive missed anything please be more than happy to add.

steve
Well, I'm not 100% sure on what the band is going to be. Is it two guitarists, two vocalists, one bass, one drums? And why can't you practice in your home studio? I need to figure out more or less how many tracks you plan on recording at once.

You may also want to look into monitoring solutions like the Furman FDS or Hear Technologies HearBack so that each band member is hearing what's best for him while playing (that may sound awful as a final mix). There's also power conditioning so the equipment doesn't hum or fry because of bad A/C current. And, of course, you'll need at least two pairs of monitors (and a switcher) to see if your sound can translate well into other speaker systems. Finally, there's hardware controllers to handle your software mix easily (assuming you don't have a big console). Any of these adds a few thousand to your budget (though the $10k for software's a little extreme).

We're suggesting you record in a studio first, and if the sound is good ask the engineer for equipment recommendations or to discuss how everything's hooked up (perhaps over a pint so he won't charge you...wink).

A better place to ask for professional advice and gear suggestions would be Gearslutz, where professionals often hang out and talk seriously technical stuff that's beyond even the best of us.

Another good place to spend your money is on audio production and training at a technical university to learn the ins and outs of microphone technique (mid-side, X-Y), levels, and to get solid advice from experienced instructors.

Edit: You missed preamps. That's probably going to be one of the biggest expenses...if not THE biggest expense. It can either come as a big analog console (SSL, API, and Neve are the de-facto standards) or a series of rack-mounted preamps (too many good ones to mention).
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 22, 2008,
My price list there was to show that you really can spend a great deal of money on this stuff. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Buy a beginner guitar player a Les Paul and a hand-wired Marshall Stack and he's still going to need years to learn and practice to get good. Think of recording as learning a new instrument.

My wish list (like, in a perfect world) would be something like this:
Neumann U87 - $3500 (can't go wrong with two of 'em!)
EV RE20 - not nearly as insane... 'bout $500-ish? - great for kick and bass cabs
Sennheiser 421 (get a couple of 'em - good for toms, guitar cabs, etc.)
Earthworks small-diaphragm condensors - $1200/pr ??
maybe a nice ribbon mic ($2000) and a few SM57/SM58's. That would be an awesome place to start for a mic collection.

Signal path:
The Lynx audio interface that I quoted at $3000.... that would be about as sweet as anything you could get at any price, pretty well. It is 8 in and 8 out. Get two of them for a real kick-ass setup that would be able to do a band live off the floor. Skip the Apogee converters. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The converters in the Lynx are top-drawer. The only things that will notice the difference between the two would be bats.

The Avalon mic pres that I quoted at $3000 for two channels.... if you want 16 channels of preamps, you're up to $24000. They're certainly in the same quality ballpark as API, SSL, Neve, etc. You might find it more convenient to get a small console from one of those manufacturers in that ballpark. Of course, if you want to spend more, you most certainly can.

My strong recommendation would be to get one of those cards that has the built-in effects like the UAD ones from Universal Audio. Expensive, but it takes the load off your computer processor. Universal Audio is a top name brand.... bringing you products like the LA2A compressor/limiters, etc. found in pro studios around the world.

If you want outboard stuff too, look at Drawmer, Manley, and even TC Electronics as highly respected name brands.

You get a nice room with this kind of gear, and even people like Bob Rock and Mutt Lange will look over your gear list and say "Nice gear!!" Seriously.

Honestly, if you are looking for advice on purchases like this, you are totally in the wrong place. Most people here are total recording newbs, or intermediates. There are no pros here.

If you want *real* pro advice from *real* working pro audio people, go to http://www.prosoundweb.com/ or a newsgroup called rec.pro.audio and talk to the people there. Those places are populated by people who actually own and use gear like the stuff I listed above and do it for a living. I lurk there from time to time, but don't post, as I know they're not really interested in discussing recording with someone using gear like mine, the same way Dale Earnhardt really wouldn't see discussing racing with someone who drives a Honda Civic a good use of his time.

My advice to you, should you choose to post there, is to recognize that you're dealing with pros there. They expect that anyone who participates there is on similar ground as them, and they aren't generally welcoming to people who aren't. They might not mind you being a recording newbie if you're genuinely interested in this sort of gear, but consider "your place" in the grander scheme of things. If you do that, they will probably tolerate you. To use the racing analogy again, it would be like Dale Earnhardt discussing racing with a guy with a proper car, but somehow just got his licence just yesterday.

Steve Albini (In Utero producer) hangs out at ProSoundWeb, for instance.

Another good "home" recording site is www.homerecording.com/bbs. There are pros there too, but it is a friendlier environment. There are also more newbies, but a lot of people who know what they're talking about. Also check www.recordingproject.com and a site called Audio Anarchy. (which has a lot of the homerecording and recordingproject refugees....)

CT

okay sites are added to my bookmarks and i will gather information out.

thankyou for all you help, i would'nt say UG arnt pro's ive always come to this site when it first started for help.

and you guys once again havnt failed to help and be there so once again big thankyou to all of you.

UG ftw!
Quote by clap_clap_clap
What you've got for a demo will be fine, although the pc soundcard will sound noisy and horrible, it will be usable for a sketch track, if all you're doing is writing songs? However, there is far more to recording than getting to play with gear and pressing record. If your performance sucks then so will the recording.

Two things are ALWAYS true in recording:

**** in = **** out
You can't polish a turd

Unless you **** gold bricks
Quote by Slash181
okay sites are added to my bookmarks and i will gather information out.

thankyou for all you help, i would'nt say UG arnt pro's ive always come to this site when it first started for help.

and you guys once again havnt failed to help and be there so once again big thankyou to all of you.

UG ftw!

No problem. Come back when you've assembled the studio and show us pictures please.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Slash181
i would'nt say UG arnt pro's ive always come to this site when it first started for help.

I wasn't for a minute suggesting that the people here aren't well intentioned, or knowledgeable. There are some very knowledgeable people here.... in various subject areas. Hence, the success of the site.

ProSoundWeb has the likes of people who have worked with the likes of Nirvana. There's a guy at the other homerecording sites who has worked with Sheryl Crow, Megadeth, and Gin Blossoms (who also can't say enough raving good things about Reaper). There's another guy who used to design and build microphones for a major company and did technical and engineering work with bands like Jefferson Airplane.

What I was specifically getting at is that there aren't any people here that *I* know of that are pro engineers working in pro studios and making a living off it like those guys, or who owns gear that those people would use. The demographic here is primarily between the ages of 15-22. (though a small percentage of us clock in around double that...)

For a beginner recorder, this is a great place to start learning. A few years here, though, and you'll need to swim in a deeper tank.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
I wasn't for a minute suggesting that the people here aren't well intentioned, or knowledgeable. There are some very knowledgeable people here.... in various subject areas. Hence, the success of the site.
CT

Dude!

Do you really think im thick?

Honestly man you take things on a wave above anyone else and thats just being way to serious, i was complementing you guys for the help you have gave and the time you have given to write the examples down, give links to places with further help and are advising along the way.
But even tho ive complemented you and i was on the same wave length as you when you where referring to people 'not being' pro's.....i do get what you mean.
Its not like Bob Rock is on this forum himself!
Oh and the site hasnt been succesful due to the knowledge of the people its been the commitment of the people when this site was goin through bad times a few years back we where still there.

So cut the BS and chill dude.

Peace out

Steve

p.s

Quote by Fast_Fingers

No problem. Come back when you've assembled the studio and show us pictures please.
CT

Ofcourse man, this will be the first thing i do, i will also take pics from beggining to end of the build when it eventually begins.

For those who are wondering about the band its gonna be a 5 piece doing Rock/Metal material. And when i say that dont presume, killswitch engage, metallica, megadeath, disturbed, etc.
The influences are gonna be from everywhere from blues to jazz to metal to rock. something which obviously has been done before but we're hoping to make the sound big, impressive.....keep the audience interested not just in each song but during the song. time and preperation will be taken not to overproduce the album so its too full for the human ear to listen.

Hopefully you guys may hear us one day, ya never know......

Its being in the right place at the right time and ofcourse who you know

Take care
Last edited by Slash181 at Nov 23, 2008,
Okay, you just said this....
Quote by Slash181
when you where referring to people 'not being' pro's.....i do get what you mean.

... but you had just said this....

Quote by Slash181
i would'nt say UG arnt pro's

Seems you did suggest that the people here *are* pros...

What's with you anyways? Why are you so defensive? I mean, I'm trying to post stuff here that is helpful, and you're taking shots at me?

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by Slash181
Dude!

Do you really think im thick?

No, I think you have 11 posts in the last two years, which suggests you *might* not be as involved in this board enough to have a complete grasp of the range of people who post in this particular thread. Especially given that this is the very first thread in this particular forum that you have participated in.

It was based on this that I thought I would put your 'pros' comment into perspective for you, as you seemed to believe that there were some pro recording people here on this forum. In turn, given the kind of gear you're looking for, I pointed you in a more suitable direction to go talk about that kind of gear.

And no, I haven't ruled out the possibility that you lurk every day and read all the posts....

CT

Quote by axemanchris

Honestly, if you are looking for advice on purchases like this, you are totally in the wrong place. Most people here are total recording newbs, or intermediates. There are no pros here.
CT

Quote by Slash181

CT

Quote by axemanchris

CT

Quote by Slash181

when you where referring to people 'not being' pro's.....i do get what you mean.
CT

Cant you see......ive been nice at the start with the thankyou tryin to say UG in a certain way are pro's (but not in that term in a way that you guys are great for helping)
Youve then taken that and said all this BS bout how you didnt mean it in that way......well the way you said certainly said that.
I dont mean to take shots but the way your being dead wierd bout all of this is just a bit strange.
i knew you meant when you said people here arnt pro's that you actually where on about people being knowlegable still but not being an acutal professional.

Remember its not how you throw the ball, its how you catch it.

If you still do not get what i mean then, im sorry i cannot explain to you anymore than this.
i meant what i said in a nice way and i was being nice and respective of the other UG members, you got all paranoid and started tryin to defend something which i knew you meant in the first place.
im not gonna argue with you anymore, this discusison is gettin' outta topic which just complicates and wastes peoples time when coming onto this forum.

Sorry UG community.

Steve
Quote by axemanchris
No, I think you have 11 posts in the last two years, which suggests you *might* not be as involved in this board enough to have a complete grasp of the range of people who post in this particular thread. Especially given that this is the very first thread in this particular forum that you have participated in.

And no, I haven't ruled out the possibility that you lurk every day and read all the posts....

CT

I think the posting 11 posts in the last 2 years proves i dnt lurk here like you. trolling peoples post's with ya idiot remarks
Your 38 years old and uve posted 2,555 (3.06 per day) and ur arguing with an 18 year old
still havnt grown up yet???
got a wife, god help her if you do.
Quote by Slash181
Cant you see......ive been nice at the start with the thankyou tryin to say UG in a certain way are pro's (but not in that term in a way that you guys are great for helping)
Youve then taken that and said all this BS bout how you didnt mean it in that way......well the way you said certainly said that.
I dont mean to take shots but the way your being dead wierd bout all of this is just a bit strange.
i knew you meant when you said people here arnt pro's that you actually where on about people being knowlegable still but not being an acutal professional.

Okay.... I think I understand you.

You meant 'pros' in a way to suggest that people were 'great for helping.'

I meant 'pros' as in people with pro gear, pro experience, and who make or have made a living from it.

So, when I said that there are no pros here, filtered through your intended definition, you took that as a dis against the UG community that they weren't knowledgeable or any good for helping.

Is that right? If so, fair enough. My apologies. Thanks for explaining.

CT

Quote by Slash181
I think the posting 11 posts in the last 2 years proves i dnt lurk here like you. trolling peoples post's with ya idiot remarks
Your 38 years old and uve posted 2,555 (3.06 per day) and ur arguing with an 18 year old
still havnt grown up yet???
got a wife, god help her if you do.

WTF is up with you?

Trolling? Idiot remarks? Look through the strong majority of those posts and you'll find that my reputation around here speaks for itself. You're baiting me, and I am done with you.

You're the one who has yet to establish a track record. It's up to you how you go about that.

CT

Your reputation lol
Great reputation chris.....on the internet lol
You really do make me laugh, reputation isnt important when it comes to a monitor and a keyboard.
Its when you get out there and play to thousands of people, and then they come back to your gigs and complement you and speak with you after every gig.
At the end of the day age is on my side so it doesnt really bother me either way what i do here, i could just make another profile and you wouldnt know any difference, i could kiss ya ass like everyone else and you wouldnt know its me.
I personally think just cause im not agreeing with you and i have my own opinion which speaks for itself and im an honest frontal guy you dont like it, cause your so used to people admiring your knowledge.
Im not disrespecting you as a person at all congrats on what your life has become but i know when im 38 years old im not gonna be stupid enough to let some 18 year old piss me off over a forum on the internet and brag bout my reputation on a guitar site.

TBH im the worst person you could of had an argument with over the internet, seriously if you wanna take this argument further.......then please be my guess.
But as far as i know im here just asking for help like everyone else.

This thread should have stopped 10 posts ago.

I could write an essay of a reply but i'll cut it down to; people here range from having a beginners understanding of recording to an intermediate level.

Face it, if you were pro, would you spend time here? or would you be in the studio with every waking moment you could? We all know the answer .
Quote by richwatkinson
This thread should have stopped 10 posts ago.

I could write an essay of a reply but i'll cut it down to; people here range from having a beginners understanding of recording to an intermediate level.

Face it, if you were pro, would you spend time here? or would you be in the studio with every waking moment you could? We all know the answer .

and this was aimed at who exactly......?
Last edited by Slash181 at Nov 24, 2008,
... if you stop baiting them, they'll go away....

CT

if people stop 'baiting' this thread then i wouldnt need to come back thinkin people are being helpful to a thread i started.
Last edited by Slash181 at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by Slash181
Your reputation lol
Great reputation chris.....on the internet lol
You really do make me laugh, reputation isnt important when it comes to a monitor and a keyboard.
Its when you get out there and play to thousands of people, and then they come back to your gigs and complement you and speak with you after every gig.
At the end of the day age is on my side so it doesnt really bother me either way what i do here, i could just make another profile and you wouldnt know any difference, i could kiss ya ass like everyone else and you wouldnt know its me.
I personally think just cause im not agreeing with you and i have my own opinion which speaks for itself and im an honest frontal guy you dont like it, cause your so used to people admiring your knowledge.
Im not disrespecting you as a person at all congrats on what your life has become but i know when im 38 years old im not gonna be stupid enough to let some 18 year old piss me off over a forum on the internet and brag bout my reputation on a guitar site.

TBH im the worst person you could of had an argument with over the internet, seriously if you wanna take this argument further.......then please be my guess.
But as far as i know im here just asking for help like everyone else.

Last edited by Slash181 at Nov 25, 2008,