Poll Options
View poll results: Soldiers in the army
Heroes
44 52%
Not heroes
40 48%
Voters: 84.
Page 1 of 2
Do you think soldiers in the army are heroes or not I personally don't think they are I just can't get my head around going to someone elses country and killing them while they try and defend their country from you.
Quote by postmortem2006

One time I was getting head from my (now ex) girlfriend, I blew my load in her mouth and she spat it back in my face. Seriously.

I think that they are heroes since well, they defend their country and the people in it and in the process could be killed.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Ah.......*huge 95 page debate*
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

So, what about the guys from 1939-1945 who defended the world from Hitler and his mass killing of people due to their skin colour/religion/sexual preferences?

No, not heroes at all.

My dad served in the army for 24 years, ok, he didn't do anything remarkable like fight in the second world war, but he fought for Britain in the first gulf war directing chinook helicopters across the battlefield, and i still consider him a war vetran. Infact, he is a war vetran.

SO, before you go right ahead and start talking a load of crap about people not being heroes, why not think about a soldiers effect on the people around them first? My dad is my own personal hero, and everyone in my family is extremely proud of him. He's learnt everything he knows from the army (bar a few courses he's done). Don't preach what you don't know.
A murderer is a murdered, only difference is soldiers get paid for it, which also makes them whores.

*bit of a joke, but still slightly serious*
The allied soilders in World War II were heroes. The soilders in Iraq are not.

On this principle i'm not voting in the poll.
Quote by aaciseric
The allied soilders in World War II were heroes. The soilders in Iraq are not.

On this principle i'm not voting in the poll.

My thoughts exactly.
They're serving their country, whether their government is telling them to do bull**** or not. I can't ****ing stand people who say "soldiers in Iraq aren't heroes" (aaciseric you d-bag.. ) Learn to appreciate what people do to protect your life, or start protecting your own. You think the soldiers in the war now think they should be in Iraq? **** no, but its not their ****ing choice. Learn some respect
Heroism is a moral standpoint, and I'm a moral relativist, so I answer:

Inherently they neither are nor aren't. Different people will have different opinions, so they only definitively are or aren't in other people's minds.
WW1 and WW2 soldiers=heroes
I do support the soldiers over seas but I dont consider them really heroes
"I'm no professah!"
~Henry Rollins
Of course not. enlisting in the military doesn't make one any more a hero than becoming a teacher or a fireman. what makes a person a hero is what they do in the situations they face.

Quote by MenziesC
Do you think soldiers in the army are heroes or not I personally don't think they are I just can't get my head around going to someone elses country and killing them while they try and defend their country from you.
that's the real point in your thread, isn't it? anti-war. whatever.
wars are a grim reality. deal with it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Soldiers don't get to choose where they're deployed. You can't judge them on where they're sent.
Quote by SylvaShredder
They're serving their country, whether their government is telling them to do bull**** or not. I can't ****ing stand people who say "soldiers in Iraq aren't heroes" (aaciseric you d-bag.. ) Learn to appreciate what people do to protect your life, or start protecting your own. You think the soldiers in the war now think they should be in Iraq? **** no, but its not their ****ing choice. Learn some respect

The United State military is currently 100% volunteers.

I think they do have a choice.

Edit to MightyAl: I don't know where you live, but I'm in the United States and if I joined the army now I think I could make a fairly accurate guess as to where I'd be deployed.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Quote by opc100
No, not their choice to join the army at all is Sylva....

OK, so once everyone stops joining the military, I wonder what will happen.. You're arguing without logic. My point was: military men and women don't have a say in where they're stationed.

EDIT: The only reason we wouldn't need a military force would be if the whole world was under dictatorship, or there was actually peace. And in my opinion, peace doesn't exist and never will (unless under a world power). So really people who argue against military action are 'kicking against the goads' of a reality that will never change..
Last edited by SylvaShredder at Nov 21, 2008,
heroism comes when you defend your country from intruders who just for their sake occupying your country without any strong reason. so you can say your country's soldiers are heroes but those intruders are not. like WW2 allies were heroes but in Iraqi war US soldiers aren't heroes but in Afghanistan the defenders are devil because they were so primitive they would kill women in fields just because they broke some bull**** law so again the allies are heroes in afghan war. so it really depends on the objectives.

edit: a soldier never wants to go to a war and kill people. but they are just ordered to do so and they dont have any choice, so it takes a lot of guts to dodge a bullet or pull the trigger. so i believe they are heroes somewhat.
Last edited by nileflows at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by SylvaShredder

Fair point, all soilders are brave and do deserve respect but do they qualify as heroes? Personally I don't feel the soilders in Iraq as a unit are doing anything for our country, they are great people and all but are they actually "protecting" our lifes considering they're (whether they or we like it or not) an invading force?
I think people who do it voluntarily are kind of dumb. But those drafted are brave for not just deserting.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

The ones who die for their country are in my eyes, but unless you truly are willing to stand for your country, and not just to join for the paycheck, you are a hero, i guess.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Joining the army isn't heroic. Being a hero in the army is heroic.

Just by joining, sure you're doing a good thing. But you're not a hero...
Quote by aaciseric
Fair point, all soilders are brave and do deserve respect but do they qualify as heroes? Personally I don't feel the soilders in Iraq as a unit are doing anything for our country, they are great people and all but are they actually "protecting" our lifes considering they're (whether they or we like it or not) an invading force?

I will definetly agree with you there. But heroism is such a general term. I think someone said it earlier. Heroism is not an objective term, but a subjective one. I would not say they are protecting our lives at all right now, but I don't think that detracts (for loss of a better word) from their 'heroness'. I totally disagree with the Iraq war (I feel that we are trying to be the 'world police'), but I support the men and women doing their job there.
So hang on a second

Being forced to fight for your country makes you a hero, but fighting for your country through choice makes you a murderer?
Quote by SylvaShredder
OK, so once everyone stops joining the military, I wonder what will happen.. You're arguing without logic. My point was: military men and women don't have a say in where they're stationed.

EDIT: The only reason we wouldn't need a military force would be if the whole world was under dictatorship, or there was actually peace. And in my opinion, peace doesn't exist and never will (unless under a world power). So really people who argue against military action are 'kicking against the goads' of a reality that will never change..

And it's obviously not obvious where you\ll be stationed if you join the army now is it....

And if peace doesn't exist, then why the hell are we alive?
Because peace does exist in small amounts. I think you mean world peace yes?
hello
most soldiers come from poor to middle class familes and simply want to better there lives, create opportunities for there family.

most join the military here in America for the money so they can better their lives.

i tell u my brother is in the marines and is currently in Afghanistan he had a choice to stay in the states or go to Afghanistan and he chose to go with his men and protect them and make sure they stayed safe.

so in my eyes my brother is my hero and i consider him a hero. dont really care what anyone thinks about the soldiers i know why they go and what they stand for.
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
Quote by Bubbles203
Joining the army isn't heroic. Being a hero in the army is heroic.

Just by joining, sure you're doing a good thing. But you're not a hero...

Agreed.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Quote by opc100
And it's obviously not obvious where you\ll be stationed if you join the army now is it....

And if peace doesn't exist, then why the hell are we alive?
Because peace does exist in small amounts. I think you mean world peace yes?

Yes I was referring to world peace. Haha, thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by blue_strat
Heroism is a moral standpoint, and I'm a moral relativist, so I answer:

Inherently they neither are nor aren't. Different people will have different opinions, so they only definitively are or aren't in other people's minds.

Lol. we have ourselves a batty boy.

Don't you any opinions of your own?
Some are heroic, some are not.

I have 2 half brothers that have been in the army, only 1 of which I believe had the correct intentions.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Of course not. enlisting in the military doesn't make one any more a hero than becoming a teacher or a fireman. what makes a person a hero is what they do in the situations they face.

Agreed.
Dont get me wrong, I respect the fact that they enlisted dispite the risks to fight for a cause they believe in, but I don't consider them heroes in any way.
I breathe air.
Quote by Shiroshu
The United State military is currently 100% volunteers.

I think they do have a choice.

Edit to MightyAl: I don't know where you live, but I'm in the United States and if I joined the army now I think I could make a fairly accurate guess as to where I'd be deployed.

You might. But if you didn't want to go, short of shooting yourself or someone else, that's where you'd go.
You might not think they're heroes now, wait til someone invades your country. Then it'll be "Save me mr. brave soldier man"
They are putting their life on the line for their country. In doing so, they can't help where they are sent or what they are ordered to do. But that doesn't make what they're doing any less heroic.
Page 1 of 2