Poll: How many fingers do you use on your right hand?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many fingers do you use on your right hand?
1 1%
97 49%
70 36%
12 6%
Pick (if you use fingers and a pick, choose the one you use most)
17 9%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 2
Does anyone else use 4 fingers on their right hand? Because on YouTube I seem to be something of an oddity.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

just the 2. more usually tho, a pick, cause i'm just not that good :/
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I use three fingers on occasion. A lot of the times it just alternates between Index and Middle finger, but sometimes I just randomly through my Ring finger in there, I never know why. I know someone who uses 4 fingers, looks next to impossible to me :P

I never pick however.

Originally Posted by Draekon

A song im very good at is Raining Blood!
"RAINING BLOOD! from a lacerated sky! Bleed is Horror! I bleed destruction, and now i shall REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is that what he says?
I use four fingers. I learnt with two, I saw the people who played with three, and four seemed like a natural enough progression to me. I'm considering incorporating my thumb (plucking with it) too.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Bit of double entendre goin on here.. i use 2 fingers, but i dont play much bass these days
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I use 2 most of the time, a pick sometimes and 3 fingers when it's not too fast.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I've been using 2 for most music, but for both really fast and really slow I still use the old one finger.
not playing as close to the bridge as I used to, no need to play with the same technique.
darn musicians at my school kept bugging me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use 3 normally. Some riffs I use only 2 (for some solos with a lot of string skipping). I use 3mm big stubbies and dunlop felt picks too. Thumb and 2 fingers for slap/pop style. Versatility is a strength I value.

I remember when I decided I was going to train to use 3 fingers last year... I would practice the motion while in lectures. Sit around my dorm room with my unplugged bass and just practice the 3 finger motion on open strings. Took me a long time but now I find its an invaluable asset in my right hand.
mostly i use two but for like iron maiden i use 3 every now and then and for fast things. for very very fast things i use all 4. i also play with a pick alot too. i am equal in my skill with fingers as i am with a pick
i usually play with 2, and 3 on occasions.

cant seem to get my head around using 4 though, it seems like id have to angle my whole hand differently
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I tried to learn how to do 4 but found my pinkey gave such a different tone from my other three that the increase in speed wasn't worth the decrease in tone. So now I like to use the pinky for octves and things like that for a more hollow tone.
I play with 4 mostly. Thumb, index, middle, and ring.

Edit: I also play with a pick half the time.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Nov 22, 2008,
2 or 3,

I use a pick from time to time, depending on the song
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Thumb, Index, and Middle fingers for me. I never got the feel of using my ring, or even pinky fingers to pluck.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
I never use more than 2...I am a meat and potatoes bassist..nothing fancy in my attack, I let he notes do that for me!
I use 3 sometimes and Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse uses 3 and he's amazingly fast
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
I use two and I'll throw in the ring for gallops. Four felt totally unnatural to me.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Mostly 2 fingers, 1 occasionally, never a pick.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I never have to use more than three, and never a pick.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I don't really see how 3 or four can be much faster than two.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Some of you should increase the range of your technique. I use four fingers occasionally for some cool tone options. If all your fingers are equal strength then four fingers kind of get superfluous though.
Quote by solid_moose

It's more economical, therefore more speed with less effort.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

I mostly use two, learning three, and just started using a pick. I can't imagine trying to use four, not at this stage.

Editskii: Link for to see quadruple-finger picking pls?
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I use my thumb and three fingers.

I wouldn't worry about YouTube bassists.
Quote by Mayano
It's more economical, therefore more speed with less effort.

Yeah, I guess its the equvilent of double picking..but I really fail to see how using four fingers could possibly make you faster.
Quote by Anjohl
Yeah, I guess its the equvilent of double picking..but I really fail to see how using four fingers could possibly make you faster.

It's obvious really, the more fingers you pluck with, the more economical it is, because each finger is doing less work. Of course this needs to be balanced with dynamics and tone, so whereas 4 fingers might be more economical, unless it's consistent in tone and dynamics, there really isn't much point.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by solid_moose

It doesn't increase the speed, it's the stamina. It gives each of your fingers less work. Though you can do really fast triplets and quadruplets with three and four fingers respectively.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I forgot about thumb, so Thumb and 2 or 3 fingers
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by m4l666
It doesn't increase the speed, it's the stamina.

It's both.
Quote by Metalfreak777

you can already play at absolutely ridiculous speeds with three with enough practice so I'd say while you may somehow manage more speed with 4 it's be pointless. You can play at shred guitar speeds with 3. The stamina's where it's at but I say if you play enough 3 fingers should give plenty of stamina. Of course, if you got the ambition go for 4. it can't hurt.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Normally 2 fingers.

3 fingers if I need to play faster, easy for fast triplets too.
I do Ring, Middle, Index.

I also go Ring, Middle, Index, Middle, Index, if I need to play 5 notes fast.
Good for breakdowns :P
i use 3 for some faster songs or for that slightly different rhythm you get from doing one after the other, generally i use 2 fingers with a pick in my hand if i need it
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Martin259
I use three fingers on occasion. A lot of the times it just alternates between Index and Middle finger, but sometimes I just randomly through my Ring finger in there, I never know why. I know someone who uses 4 fingers, looks next to impossible to me :P

I never pick however.

That's exactly what I do.
I use two most and I'll put in my ring from time to time, depends on what I'm playing. I use a pick occasionally to get a more treble sound.
Page 1 of 2