I've been planning on getting a new amp for some time as my borrowed 15w Crate hasnt been able to hold up to what i'm trying to get out of it. Im looking at mid/low price tubes but i'm pretty much stuck there. I know my way around amps, but without actually playing them its pretty much useless. I play heavier stuff, I'm pretty in to Megadeth right now, but i also play more hard rock like GN'R, Aerosmith, Boston (if you can call them that) and even more classic things like Stones Santana etc but i need an amp that can be at least that diverse. I know that Vox amps are more for a British pop rock/rock sound but i thought with a good pedal or two, i could get a decent metal tone out of it. But i'm not sure, would a different amp around the price range suit the job better?($0-$700ish) Hope this isnt too much of a which amp thread.

Guitar: Epi LP (active PuPs)
(getting a new guitar for my metal needs)
Price range: up to $700-ish
Pedals: Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
Yawny
I don't think the Vox will be good for metal at all. Almost anything else in the price range would be better.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
A Vox is pretty much the opposite of a metal amp.

For that price range, I'd look at the Randall RG50TC, the Bugera amps, and perhaps a used 5150 if you don't use cleans very often.
Quote by whiteraven119
A Vox is pretty much the opposite of a metal amp.

For that price range, I'd look at the Randall RG50TC, the Bugera amps, and perhaps a used 5150 if you don't use cleans very often.

If you primarily play your Megadeth stuff, I agree with this.

If the stuff you play most of the time is classic rock and hard rock, maybe something like a used Traynor YCV50 Blue (Or you can find one on eBay brand new for 650) and then add an overdrive pedal on top for metal. It may be able to handle early Megadeth on its own, decently.
i expected that it wasnt good for that, without playing it (all the guitar/music shops in my area are devoid of tube amps) its hard to tell whether it could be changed ill check out the randalls, bugeras and look for a used traynor (any links to these?). Only problem for used with me is that i can only get it closer to the holiday season, i dont ahve all of the money right now. WHAT do you reccomend for pedals? I'd like a wah, dunlop is about all that ive looked at, but theres so many types of every brand. Also a distortion/overdrive pedal

Probably important to put that i mostly play heavier stuff. metal is my main thing, i want to be able to get that megadeth tone more than anything
Last edited by yawny at Nov 21, 2008,