I have way much tension in my arms, fingers, writs when I play. How can I avoid this? I try to sit down in the best and most comfortable position, but I really feel it in my left shoulder (I'm left-handed). Any advice? I also grip the neck way so hard it makes my playing bad. Other people make guitar playing seem so fluid and smooth. How can I learn this?
how long have you been playing, most of these problems just take time to sort out, muscle memory will take care of some of it, also you never grip the neck, you balance on your thumb.
Quote by jefffelker40
how long have you been playing, most of these problems just take time to sort out, muscle memory will take care of some of it, also you never grip the neck, you balance on your thumb.

I've been playing for 7 years, I think I've started to save up some really bad habits.
i think if you go to start playing, thinking "ohh crap i better get this right, only one chance..GO!" you can automatically tense up and it tend's to all go wrong... where as if you think "ok cool, let's see what i can do here...." and just try to feel the music, loosing your muscle's up, stretch a little and then start to play, it tend's to stop you from tensing up, imo anyway.

Also dont grip the neck, like the guy above said.

Pain's in your arm's are normal at first, but if they do persist try to anaylsis when/ where they occur, i.e. when playing fast, slow, hard or when playing long length's of time.. if it's something that just happen's no matter what, you might want to do some excersizes for your joints/ muscles.

Other people make guitar seem smooth becuase they have dedicated many many hour's of practice and have a technique that is second nature to them, you'll get there with dedication and practice though
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
you could try some simple stretches, clench your fists tight and snap them open a few times, massage your tense muscles, I play steve vai's 10 hour guitar workout before i begin to practice, i don't know if that would help, they have it here if you haven't tried it and want to, also if you don't play with a strap try that, or try standing up and playing, and just relax, because there is no real correct way to play, there is what works for you, try some different methods and stick with the ones that work best.