alright so im building a guitar case for my explorer in my woodworking class, and i've got the case box and body support and all that figure out, but the one thing i need help with is the fabric. i will be putting some fabric (probably wine red) into the case for lining. first off. what material would you suggest for lining. i was thinking crushed velvet but if this isn't a good choice please let me know. also how would i attach it to the wood? glue?
Crushed velvet is good. Very classy looking. I was gonna put some in my case build, but lack of funds thwarted me.

Velour (sp?) is good too, but it's quite fuzzy and may hang up on the sharp points of strings, etc.

Use spray-adhesive to glue it in. DO NOT use liquid glues. The fabric will absorb it and will be ruined.
Is it a strat style? If it is, mind posting spec's or the design? I really need a case
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by White_fang
Is it a strat style? If it is, mind posting spec's or the design? I really need a case

did you read the op? his explorer. very different from a strat. lol but the basics of making the case are exactly the same.
Quote by yanko693
did you read the op? his explorer. very different from a strat. lol but the basics of making the case are exactly the same.

Yeah so sorry. Im like messed up today seriously.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
well i could help you out. if you want a general standard guitar case, its as easy as making a box with a neck rest, really. but if you want to make the inside fit the body perfectly like me, then pm me and i'll explain my teacher's idea to you.
Just a general case. So I can switch off between me Les Paul and strat. IM guessing its a box big enough, yeah neck stand, extras needed.

My question is what did you do for the outside, fake leather on it or what?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
i dont know it's hard to explain exactly what i did. i only used mitre joints, then primer, then paint, then varnish, then varnish, then varnish. something like that.-
So you made the frame and then put like a board cut to the right size on the outer of the frame, then built the inside and padded it?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
well it's hared to explain without pictures, but i'll try. i cut my side into two halves, the top and bottom, then put each together with mitre joints. but before i did that, i turned the blade on a table saw to 45 degrees to make mitre joints where the top and bottom pieces went. then i cut the top and bottom pieces the same way to fit into that mitre joint. (i used plywood for the top and bottom). then i built the inside, and i have yet to pad it. but all i did on the outside is paint, no leather or anything. too expensive for me. byou could do it if you wanted, but i wouldn't know how to do it
yeah im pretty sure it's gonna be crushed velvet. it looks so cool. im gonna go ruby/wine red, because my explorer is a gothic, so it would look nice. also, i don't know what diamond tuck means
how would i do that. i don't know how to go about it :S

oh and new update, i was putting my bottom together today, and i used mitre joints all the way around. when you use mitre joints on 1/2" wood, nails are not the best choice, as they are liable to tear through the end where there is very little wood.
I made a rudementary box for my 4track out of cardboard (! it was off an old ring binder - not the corrigated kind), and lined it with an old fleecie.

to fix on the fabric I just stapled it (I also used a little bit of glue) - I can't imagine they'd be any danger of the metal staples scratching the paintwork if they're in a fluffy fabric and only on the inside edges and corners. don't take my word for it though.

try asking on upholstery forums or something (if they exist!...)

also, leopard skin atw for fabric.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 25, 2008,
Sorry, but I have no idea how to diamond-tuck. I was just gonna wing it. I actually went out and bought 2 yards of black crushed velvet, then ran out of money for wood...anyway, you could probably google or dogpile it.
ok, one more new update, mitre joints are not the easiest things to build a box out of, because they are so hard to fit togeth on all four corners of a box. they are storng if you get it right, but you need lots of glue, four bar clamps at least, and lots of patience. i didn't get every corner right so this is the third time ive had to glue and clamp it, all for one stupid corner not being clamped right
it was too late, cuz i had already cut at planed the wood to 1/2" and made it to just the right dimensions. so if i cut it, it won't fit the guitar. i was thinking rabbet joints, which are also each, but you see less end grain. and, i believe, a little stronger than butt joints
well thnks, but it im painting it black. but that would be cool, it's just that it's the colour of my guitar, and im using plywood for the top and bottom, and pine for the sides so that wouldn't look too nice
but on the good side, my thread is at 2 pages!
i would but im doing this in a grade 10 woodshop class, so im limited by availability, time, and price :/