I play mostly older metal (Priest, Sabbath <3)

And I use an Ashdown EB-180 for an amp.

Shoot, guys.
any. I use SPB-1's in my MIM and SPB-2's in my Epi. I like 'em both. Check out my profile for demos. The SPB-1 is also featured in all the Sekin recordings.

I also like the Fender vintage pickups, but to me, the SPB-1 by Seymour Duncan sounds a little more... full.

The SPB-2's were intentionally installed in the Epiphone because the mix of a maple body, neck, fretboard and brass saddles made for an extremely bright sounding bass, so I dulled it down with the SPB-2's, 500k pots and a .022pfu cap (that's actually stock on vintage P's I believe). They're "hot" p'ups, but they're hot on the bass side. My friend put a set of those in his 78 P-bass and was suprised that it was not a high output pickup, but rather deeper sounding.

The SPB-3's might be a good choice, as well. They have a quater pound of alnico in 'em and 1/4" wide pole pieces, which makes them very powerful. Friend of mine, same one with the 78, had a quater pounder set in his 65 P-bass (don't worry, the thing was gutted and destroyed long ago) and the sound was just huge and chunky and could get clunky if you needed.

Dimarzio also makes a pickup that's two full humbuckers with dual blades per piece for the P's. It's an amazingly huge pickup that I, personally, am afraid to try. From my understanding, they get you massive sound.

Also, if you're on a budget, GFS is a good place to look, as well as at the Duncan Performer "sledge hammer," it's an SPB-2, only it's made in korea. I had one of those in the epi and it sounded good, the SPB-2 wasn't a huge upgrade from it, though.

I used to have a set of EMG active p's in my MIM, and to tell you the truth, I hated them. They were decent pickups, but they weren't my style. Really high output, really clear and trebley tone, not really natural sounding. For what you're looking for, they might work.

Another couple mods you could do is to actually upgrade your tuners, bridge and nut. The stock fender bridges and nuts on MIM basses are pretty mediocre. The Bad Ass II bridge really helps bring out the sustain and tone of a fender style bass. Upgrading your nut with a graphtech nut with get it playing and sounding better and higher qaulity tuners will increase sustain, as well.

There's a lot you can do with the P-bass to get exactly the tone you want. Maybe set up a phase switch with a push pull pot would help you out, too.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by fartripper67
I play mostly older metal (Priest, Sabbath <3)

And I use an Ashdown EB-180 for an amp.

Shoot, guys.

I have the same exact set-up as you and play the same type of music and I am also wondering what pickups i should put on my Precision.
Avoid QP's like the plague, unless you like a super scooped and boomy tone. Steve Harris uses are overwound SPB-1 so you might like the SPB-2 which is pretty much an over wound SPB-1.

I would look into Lindy Fralin pickups, they have some incredible tone.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Ampeg SVT
Avoid QP's like the plague, unless you like a super scooped and boomy tone. Steve Harris uses are overwound SPB-1 so you might like the SPB-2 which is pretty much an over wound SPB-1.

QP's can do much more than scooped and boomy. not to mention if he hearts Black Sabbath, boomy may just be his thing.

seriously, Quarter Pounders.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
QP's can do much more than scooped and boomy. not to mention if he hearts Black Sabbath, boomy may just be his thing.

seriously, Quarter Pounders.

the dimi's nd EMG's would be worth considering, as well, though.

Quote by Ampeg SVT

have you ever used a quater pounder?
Quote by Ampeg SVT

literally just installed a set in my 02. Doesn't sound a thing like you described. It's warm, loud, punchy, yet still boomy. Very nice and perfect... now if I could get it to work without going limp with the jazz pickup on....
I think I might try the Quarter Pounders...

I also tend to cut my high's, and boot my mid's and lows if it matters.

Thanks for suggestions thus far
if you go with the quarter pounders, you're going to have to completely re-eq. They do some great though. I love 'em. Actually, if you go with just about any pickup, you'll have to re-eq... cool thing with duncans, though, is they have a cool return policy. Look it up on their website.
I find that the SD mentioned will sound better than the stock but if your really looking for something that will sound amazing i would check Lindy Fralin or Nordstrands.
Ive played the SD 1/4 lb and they sounded alright but when i tried an lindy fralin 51' P it sounded much much better. Warmer and clearer.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Phishead42
I find that the SD mentioned will sound better than the stock but if your really looking for something that will sound amazing i would check Lindy Fralin or Nordstrands.
Ive played the SD 1/4 lb and they sounded alright but when i tried an lindy fralin 51' P it sounded much much better. Warmer and clearer.

first off, the fralin '51 is a single coil, second off, it has far less windings than the qtrpndr, thirdly: it's a completely differant monster. The frailins, dollar for tone, have never added up for me. If I had the disposable income, I'd probably have the frailin's in my purple P-bass, but I don't have that kind of dough.
Now, this guy plays metal music, will a single coil frailin made for a bass he doesn't own and that is wound and voiced for a nice, warm vintage tone really work out for him?