Warwick Rockbass make cheap versions of some famous Warwick basses. But is Rockbass anything like the models they're based on, or just look like them? I'm talking about the Rockbass Fortress and Vampyre models.

I own both a Rockbass Corvette and an actual Warwick Corvette. They feel similar to play, but the real Warwick Corvette sounds much better. But why is Rockbass replicating the Fortress and Vampyre models too? Does the Rockbass Fortress/Vampyre sound better than the Rockbass Corvette?
The pickups are the same and the overall shapes are similar enough, but other than that, they're completely different instruments. Different woods across the board = completely and totally different tone. There's no way a few hundred dollars bolt on bass sounds like a $5000 Vampyre.

And the Fortress was discontinued years ago by Warwick and only lives on as a RockBass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well theyd make a rockbass vampyre same way epiphone makes a gibson tbird, because they look badass
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by thefitz
The pickups are the same and the overall shapes are similar enough, but other than that, they're completely different instruments. Different woods across the board = completely and totally different tone. There's no way a few hundred dollars bolt on bass sounds like a $5000 Vampyre.

And the Fortress was discontinued years ago by Warwick and only lives on as a RockBass.

I know a Rockbass won't compare to a $5000 bass. I guess I wanted to compare the Rockbass Corvette to the Rockbass Vampyre. I've read about other Warwick owners being interested in the Rockbass version of the Vampyre, so I thought I should look into it.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I know a Rockbass won't compare to a $5000 bass. I guess I wanted to compare the Rockbass Corvette to the Rockbass Vampyre. I've read about other Warwick owners being interested in the Rockbass version of the Vampyre, so I thought I should look into it.

ash or alder and maple, right? sounds like it will be a little more Fendery.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
ash or alder and maple, right? sounds like it will be a little more Fendery.

Yeah, though the Rockbass Corvette does have a little growl to it. Probably because of the Corvette shape and the MEC pickups.
ive played both and all though I am not a fan the warwick is slitely better

just slitely though
Quote by jonnyblade7
ive played both and all though I am not a fan the warwick is slitely better

just slitely though

You're insane. And it's spelled slightly.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
You're insane. And it's spelled slightly.

if I wanted to hold a two by four I would go to a lumber yard. that is what the feel like to me.

and thanks for the english lesson
Quote by jonnyblade7
if I wanted to hold a two by four I would go to a lumber yard. that is what the feel like to me.

Why? Because they aren't finished over in a thick layer of paint like your Fenders? Warwicks are some of the best quality instruments in circulation these days, the craftsmanship is beautiful.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Why? Because they aren't finished over in a thick layer of paint like your Fenders? Warwicks are some of the best quality instruments in circulation these days, the craftsmanship is beautiful.

what's wrong with liking the feel of a lacquer? I'm no fan of it, but to use a talkbass line where it actually fits, different strokes for different folks.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by jonnyblade7

Most people who find the Warwick neck profile awkward do so due to poor fretting technique, but I wasn't saying you were insane because of your dislike of Warwicks. Plenty of people dislike Warwicks and (for the most part) there's nothing wrong with them. I believe that you are insane because you say that you saw/felt/heard only a slight difference between a true Warwick Vampyre and the Rockbass model. And (for the english lesson) you're welcome
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by Beast_Within
Most people who find the Warwick neck profile awkward do so due to poor fretting technique, but I wasn't saying you were insane because of your dislike of Warwicks. Plenty of people dislike Warwicks and (for the most part) there's nothing wrong with them. I believe that you are insane because you say that you saw/felt/heard only a slight difference between a true Warwick Vampyre and the Rockbass model. And (for the english lesson) you're welcome

same pickups. similar body wood. not everyone is a tone freak. music would always be so nice. everyone would have a crazy unique sound of their own. that is completely what it should be. perfect, right?

/dream

but they will sound pretty similar.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
same pickups. similar body wood. not everyone is a tone freak. music would always be so nice. everyone would have a crazy unique sound of their own. that is completely what it should be. perfect, right?

/dream

but they will sound pretty similar.

Not to be a dick, but have you ever actually played either? They really don't sound that similar (I realize that the pickups are the same, but the construction is very different) and they definitely don't have a similar feel. Also, I enjoy being a bit of a tone freak
Quote by Caustic
Quote by the humanity
what's wrong with liking the feel of a lacquer? I'm no fan of it, but to use a talkbass line where it actually fits, different strokes for different folks.

There is nothing wrong with liking the feel of it, but stating that a German made Warwick feels like a piece of 2x4 makes it seem to me like they havve a personal gripe with unfinished wood and chunky necks. Not everything has to be smooth, and if it does, then the Warwick Streamer fits the bill.

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
at first, I didn't want to post. But this has gone too far. A rockbass may share the same forename, have similar body styles, and even sport the discontinued Fortress(some day...I will have one)....

...But, it is by no means, a tone question alone. Reliability, playability, and overall feel. It's as if some one said a Squire Affinity was generally the same as a Highway 1. Rather insulting, isn't it? Not to bring up my hatred of Fenders, I shall move on.

Genuine Warwicks, although pricey, are the elite class above their peasant-like brethren. They sport the 2-piece bridge, the Just-a-Nut 1,2, and 3, and they offer the same color choices in the gloss and add the natural colors as well. Rockbasses are bound to the poor craftsmenship of the Chinese, while Warwicks are German-made eargasms. As you can see, I own a Double-buck bolt-on. Having tried for 2 years to find a Rockbass I liked, I eventually gave up. Then saved every penny. It was worth it.

So, please, TS... if you are going to buy a Fortress, go on Ebay and buy the real thing. But, make sure to outbid me.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by Nikki197666
Not everything has to be smooth, and if it does, then the Warwick Streamer fits the bill.

I was surprised how grainy and rough the neck of the Warwick Corvette was when I bought it. But after waxing it a few times (waxing the neck is optional), it started to feel like any other bass.
Quote by Beast_Within
Not to be a dick, but have you ever actually played either? They really don't sound that similar (I realize that the pickups are the same, but the construction is very different) and they definitely don't have a similar feel. Also, I enjoy being a bit of a tone freak

I haven't. but they would probably sound more similar to each other than anything else in the shop, except maybe other Warwick/Rockbass models.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I haven't. but they would probably sound more similar to each other than anything else in the shop, except maybe other Warwick/Rockbass models.

Based on what facts?

Quote by Nikki197666
Based on what facts?

the fact most stores don't stock very many Warwick models, because most people have never heard of them when they just started playing. and the money isn't made on high end basses nearly as much as low end. my guess is that store maybe had one other Warwick, which TS didn't play because it was ugly. and as such, the closest thing to that sound was a Rockbass. add to this that they have the same pickup configuration, so even if it doesn't sound very similar to you, it feels like it does the same kinda thing, because he was not playing them at the same time. he hasn't memorized tones, like thumpy or growly, all he knows is turn this knob, it does this. and as such, the mind is tricked into thinking it sounds the exact same.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Also remember in Ireland it is very difficult to find warwicks the one and only i played was in wales when i went on a holiday once. I cant yet compare any two warwicks yet.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by the humanity
the fact most stores don't stock very many Warwick models, because most people have never heard of them when they just started playing. and the money isn't made on high end basses nearly as much as low end. my guess is that store maybe had one other Warwick, which TS didn't play because it was ugly. and as such, the closest thing to that sound was a Rockbass. add to this that they have the same pickup configuration, so even if it doesn't sound very similar to you, it feels like it does the same kinda thing, because he was not playing them at the same time. he hasn't memorized tones, like thumpy or growly, all he knows is turn this knob, it does this. and as such, the mind is tricked into thinking it sounds the exact same.

I'm a bad example of the typical bass first-time buyer. I knew about Warwick basses when I was just a guitar player and fell in love with them, but nobody spends €1000 on their first bass incase learning it doesn't work out. So, I bought the next best thing; €500 Rockbass. But I always had it in my mind that as soon as I start getting good, I'd get a Warwick Corvette, which I did.

What were we talking about?

Quote by fatgoogle
Also remember in Ireland it is very difficult to find warwicks the one and only i played was in wales when i went on a holiday once. I cant yet compare any two warwicks yet.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/index.html
i've played both, luckly i live near the one sam ash and the one guitar center that stocks warwicks by the bus load. to me the rock basses don't feel as good as the warwicks. the sounds are difrint in the sence that rock bass is the low end model and the sounds are the similar but in no way the same. and really, pluging in a rock bass and playing for a little bit will never beat the feel of slaping the E string on a warwick corvette for the first time. if you can, save up for the real deal.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
My local shop currently has 5 Warwicks and 4 Rockbasses in. They also stock Framus (the guitars from the same company). The manager is a fan.

And trust me, they sound and feel very different. However, they do share the same basic properties, so at a first glance without A/Bing right after each other, the difference may not seem so great. However, when it comes to getting one, Warwicks definitely warrant their price as high end instruments (from just in the category to "threesome with your girlfriend and her hot friend" good) while Rockbass are solid beginner/almost midrange instruments.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by fatgoogle

Yeah, I found it difficult to find warwicks too, even in dublin. Eventually found a few down in promusica in cork though.
There's a shop near me that are a like licensed Warwick dealer (Gm_Jack bought his Warwick there I believe) there a pretty small shop called Guitar Works. I'm also maybe planning to get a Rockbass soon as a backup bass as the Streamer I played sounded pretty good to me as backup bass material so did the 'vette and fortress if I'm honest but the Streamer is nicest on the budget being a cool £200ish!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
i have a rockbass vampyre and have played a warwick vampyre, they do feel similar to play; the only real difference i have noticed, being the materials used to make them and the warwick feeling more comfortable to play, but then again, i'm no expert. but i think rockbass are very good value for money
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Nov 24, 2008,
I've never played either. They both look nice. I picked up a rock Bass. It was heavier than i was expecting. Thats ok though. I eat my wheaties.