How do they sound if you're playing metalish stuff. I'm talking about Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, that stuff. Does it sound pretty good? Doesn't have to sound amazing.
Well mahogany guitars are numerous, there are also many different kinds of Les Pauls. I want to tell you how to redo this question, but I had a hard time just responding to this post.
Quote by Guitar2theface
How do they sound if you're playing metalish stuff. I'm talking about Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, that stuff. Does it sound pretty good? Doesn't have to sound amazing.

James Hetfield uses Les Pauls for metal, and the guys from A7X and Three Days Grace actually all use mahogany guitars. They're fine.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
There's alot of different Les Paul's out there, but for the most part, they all work very well. It depends more on the amp and strings in my opinion.

If you wanna play heavy, I suggest Ernie Ball Heavy Top Skinny Bottom Strings (Same ones Syn uses =))
I would say i prefer a les paul to anything for playing metal, i've tried pretty much every guitar worth its salt over the years and always end up with a les paul! A different bridge pickup just tops it off
Alright. Thanks.
Also, whats a good amp for the $200 price range? I don't wanna make another topic and add clutter.
you can play heavy with any strings.

TS, you might want to read the stickies in the Guitar Gear and Accesories forum. there's a list with a lot of cheap AND good amps.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Zakk Wylde?

+100?

A good amp for those bands you listed would probably be the Peavey Vypyr 30, Cube 30, or the one i have in my sig. I really like the Vypyr.
Vypyr 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Vypyr 30.

+1.

Or if you want a tube amp, check out those Crates.
UG's AC/DC Lover
I wouldn't go for one of those tube Crate V's if he plays metal, vypyr ftw
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
To end this thread, yes. Mahogany is good for metal.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
To correct the end of this thread, the wood a guitar is made of doesn't have nearly enough effect to determine what genre it can play.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
To correct the end of this thread, the wood a guitar is made of doesn't have nearly enough effect to determine what genre it can play.

The wood that a guitar is made of is actually extremely important to the guitar's tone. What I was saying, though, is that you can play metal with a mahogany guitar. This is very true. In fact, mahogany is essentially the most popular wood among metal guitarists. I don't mean to say that mahogany is only good for playing metal. Mahogany is just great wood in general.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!