Howdy.

I'm trying to play faster with right hand, strumming and single notes.
It seems very hard though, I don't know if im just not used to it but if I strum fast, like maybe punk style or similiar my wrist ****ing aches! Just need practice?

Also on single notes like typical power metal kinda power chord root note chugging along rather fast. My wrist really aches when I do it.. I can do it find on some songs but on one of my my own where its triplets its quite speedy and really does cause a burn.

Does the burning mean i'm giving my wrist/picking a workout and it'l get easier or is my technique wrong?
Would the fact i'm leftie playing standard mean my wrist isn't really up to it?

I'm resting my picking hand kinda over the TOM bridge but not muting.
Has anyone got a picture of correct angle of wrist on picking hand also?

Thanks for your help
David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Well when doing that kinda thing i cant down pick fast enough anyway, its all just the speed I think, I can alternate pick fine.

The strumming is up down speedy stuff.
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Whenever you feel pain when practicing, something is wrong. Perhaps you are tense when playing.
The answer is, as always, start playing the stuff you want to learn slowly, and build speed over time instead of rushing it. Always take it easy, or you might get injured.
It really does depend what kind of pain it is, if it's the kind of pain you get when you've been doing too much exercise (a sort of burning) then you just need to build stamina but if it's any other kind of pain then you need to sort out your technique.

You're in Colchester eh? Got a band?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Your problem is most likely that you're trying to play faster - that doesn't work. There is no "faster" because speed isn't a skill - it's a reflection of your skills. That means there's no way you can actually practice it or try to improve it, however what you can do is practice the things that affect speed, so work on...

Accuracy
Playing in time
Rhythm
Synchronisation of both hands
Stamina
Finger independence
Dexterity
Fretboard knowledge

...getting better at all those things will enable you to play faster, but forcing yourself to play faster just results in a mess.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It really does depend what kind of pain it is, if it's the kind of pain you get when you've been doing too much exercise (a sort of burning) then you just need to build stamina but if it's any other kind of pain then you need to sort out your technique.

You're in Colchester eh? Got a band?

Yes, a band who need a bassist or vocalist atm..
I'm studying at the Institute also!
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by steven seagull
Your problem is most likely that you're trying to play faster - that doesn't work. There is no "faster" because speed isn't a skill - it's a reflection of your skills. That means there's no way you can actually practice it or try to improve it, however what you can do is practice the things that affect speed, so work on...

Accuracy
Playing in time
Rhythm
Synchronisation of both hands
Stamina
Finger independence
Dexterity
Fretboard knowledge

...getting better at all those things will enable you to play faster, but forcing yourself to play faster just results in a mess.

Hmm thanks.
While looking at this i've decided to look at my technique in depth.

The fretting hand, I seem to have it close to the fretboard edge at an angle.
Isn't it correct to have it paralell with fretboard? so the fingers almost go in straight lines along the frets not at angles? hard to explain

And i'm trying to pick with the pick at a right angle to strings most of the time because it sounds better apparently.. but when doing fast picking like tremolo its harder.. maybe the tone doesn't matter so much then because its not notes that are sounding out?

Thanks for help
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Playing scales with my metronome with my eyes closed is what i used to do when i was improving my accuracy of my picking hand. as for speed, thats something that happens with time and improvement of other skils, as others have said.